Signal path Resistor Quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PRP is my standard resistor in all my projects!!
Right now I have a 47K prp in the input to my Pass Bride of Zen
to give me some input attenuation for my cd player input.

I would like to increase the value alittle more but I have read that this will limit the" input bandwidth" by rolling off the high freq.

I thought using a ultra preminum might help in this area and possibly warm up the sound??

Any thoughts

Hifi-News articles :

COLLOMS Martin
"The sound of metal-film resistors"
Hi-fi News & Record Review, September 1986, p 64

DUNCAN Ben
"Pièce de résistance"
Hi-fi News & Record Review, March 1987, pp 35-39

DUNCAN Ben
"Pièce de résistance"
Hi-fi News & Record Review, April 1987, pp 33-39

COLLOMS Martin
"Pièce de résistance"
Quote :
"Martin offers the results of listening tests on resistors.
This report is intended to partner Ben Duncan's excellent technical review of resistor technology and performance"
Hi-fi News & Record Review, June 1987, p33

Let me some days to scan them, and send me an email if you'd like to read all that stuff.

Some more :
BATEMAN Cyril
"Op-amp and resistor distorsions"
Electronics World, December 2003, pp46-53
available on this CD
http://uk.geocities.com/cyrilb2@btinternet.com/downloads_4.html

analog_sa said:

Those red MLTs were really horrible. Would make a great reference for blind comaprisons.

Those russian red MLT resistors were the best metal film resistors that I have ever used (well, at least in the 70's and 80's). Precision, noise close to the theoretical limit AND completely diamagnetic, the caps and leads were tinned pure copper (not that it would really matter :D).

I really can't speak to your particular scenario rtate, I don't do anything solid state. Have you tried Peter Daniels in the Vendor's Forum? If you've only used PRP to date and are just looking to play around first, try some generic carbon comps and metal oxides. Cheap and cheerful perspective check.

Really ? Anyone ?
How do we know he didn't make same "mistake" with the resistor test ?
(and this is no mistake, it is a complete lack of understanding of how output stage works, the very basic principle of class A operation. He repeats the same "argument" over and over again until Nelson steps up)

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Martin Columns also did an article on why feedback was a bad thing (same publication I think). I cannot remember his exact words but it was something to the effect that feedback chased itself around the loop and this impacted the sound negatively (smeared or some words to that effect).

Absolutely shameful stuff and belongs in the same category as people who adopt unreasonable positions on IC or discrete designs.

Maybe someone can dig the articel up.

A bit more objectivity and lateral acceptance that there are many ways to get a good sound, and a lot less b.s. would go a long way to making this hobby/vocation more fun.

For some reason, the very idea that resistors can make a difference makes some people uncomfortable. I certainly did not think much of resistors, many decades ago. In fact, precision 1% resistors were VERY expensive, the cost of a quick lunch, each, back in the '60's and we used them sparingly. By 1973, Mark Levinson was using 1% metal films, and found that they were not extremely expensive, IF we bought them in quantity. They looked different than the '60's parts that I was used to, and were smaller, and therefore more convenient to work with. Before this time, we used 5% baked carbon resistors in almost every circuit.
In the later 70's many in California and elsewhere found that we could by lots of different values of 1% resistors from military surplus outlets, for as little as 10 cents each. We were in hog-heaven, with this precision and low cost. I still have 1000's of these resistors.
Then, when we got beyond prototypes or single unit pro projects, we realize that we, like Mark Levinson, had to buy specific brands in quantity. Interesting enough, many of the resistors changed in color and in performance. Some were not as good as early units with Excess noise. I don't know why.
However, I fell upon a surplus collection of gold leaded, glass or high quality surfaced resistors that I presumed to be about as good as can be done. I built a preamplifier with these resistors, using a P & G linear fader (expensive) and quality switches.
Surprisingly, I didn't really like the sound of this preamp. Why? Well, I think it was the resistors. Now, can I PROVE that it was the resistors? No. But, that was the only component that seemed to be used that was really different from the Levinson JC-2 line stage. I wouldn't mind an independent evaluation by SY or someone interested in trying these resistors, but no bites so far.

For the record, Martin Colloms, as of 1991 was:"A Chartered Engineer of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, ... After graduating from the Regent Street Polytechnic (PCL) in 1971 he was employed as an electronics design engineer for several years, contributing to VHF communications systems and subsequently to wide-band oscilloscope instrumentation."

Good enough for me. I first talked to him in 1972, and I still find his reviews very important to my understanding of other manufacturers products.

He has written at least one book.

john curl said:
Interesting enough, many of the resistors changed in color and in performance. Some were not as good as early units with Excess noise. I don't know why.
<snip>
I wouldn't mind an independent evaluation by SY or someone interested in trying these resistors, but no bites so far.

Send them to guys that are developing ultra-low noise first amplifier stage for Square Kilometer Array. It still hasn't been finalised. I'm sure they would be very interested in anything that could possibly further the noise factor. But as far as I know, they are concentrating onto active devices (SiGe, InP, GaAs HEMTs) and supercooling. Perhaps someone should point to them about select resistors and audiophile cables ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.