Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

AKABAK 3
AKABAK 3
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2020, 10:29 AM   #1
panson_hk is offline panson_hk  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default AKABAK 3

I just upgraded my ABEC 3 to AKABAK 3. The most difference compared to the former is the GUI. This is a big improvement to the original script based input for some users (me too).
Attached Images
File Type: png AKABAK 3.png (68.6 KB, 897 views)
Old 7th May 2020, 06:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker component example

A simple example for using Speaker component.

In order to generate polar plot and SPL at 1m, we need to add some stuffs for direct sound analysis.

The AKABAK file is attached as a zip file.
Attached Images
File Type: png Speaker component.png (73.7 KB, 847 views)
File Type: png Speaker component outputs.png (107.3 KB, 825 views)
File Type: png Speaker component - 3D.png (74.7 KB, 815 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Speaker component.zip (8.6 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by panson_hk; 7th May 2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 7th May 2020, 06:51 AM   #3
rolandong is offline rolandong  Philippines
diyAudio Member

I've used v2.1 - the script based version (when it still runs on Win7 desktop) when I DIY TH-115 clone and it was straightforward to use it. With 64-bit Win10 it no longer runs. With this version 3, it looks complicated and I don't know where to start.
Old 7th May 2020, 08:20 AM   #4
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

AKABAK 3
That should bring back memories of when you started with the script based version It had a pretty brutal learning curve!!

Tony.
Old 7th May 2020, 09:04 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandong View Post
I've used v2.1 - the script based version (when it still runs on Win7 desktop)
I guess your are referring to the legacy AkAbak.

AKABAK 3 is a new version of ABEC 3. It is not a new version of the original AkAbak. I spent considerable time to learn ABEC 3. Newly added GUI of the new version would not flatten the learning curve. However, it is useful and improves productivity once you are familiar with the "language".
Old 8th May 2020, 04:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The following pressure box simulation is compared to LEAP 5 and Basta!.

The driver is a flat disc of diameter 37.5 mm. The sealed enclosure dimension is 0.06 x 0.1 x 0.05 (0.3 L). No filling is used. Free-space (4pi) is assumed.

Mesh size of AKABAK 3 is 0.02 m. The same scale is used in LEAP 5 diffraction resolution length with order of 4 selected.

Although Basta! diffraction is likely less sophisticated, its SPL tracks the trend of the other two.
Attached Images
File Type: png Flat Disc Pressure Box AKABAK 3.png (168.3 KB, 729 views)
File Type: png Flat Disc Pressure Box Basta.png (72.1 KB, 226 views)
File Type: png Flat Disc Pressure Box LEAP.png (264.2 KB, 222 views)
File Type: png Flat Disc Pressure Box SPL comparison.png (14.3 KB, 213 views)
Old 8th May 2020, 08:58 PM   #7
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

How should I begin, as noob, and make it to modelling my loud speakers? I can probably handle the portion of creating the 3d proportions but what to create and what to do with it in Akabak...need a guide or something. In the screen shots above I see a bosic box with a round diapragm, if I could get the level of being able to model this, that would be awesome.
Old 9th May 2020, 03:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
How should I begin, as noob, and make it to modelling my loud speakers? I can probably handle the portion of creating the 3d proportions but what to create and what to do with it in Akabak...need a guide or something. In the screen shots above I see a bosic box with a round diapragm, if I could get the level of being able to model this, that would be awesome.
For speaker system (driver, enclosure and crossover) simulation using AKABAK (or ABEC), I will start with CAD drawing for the enclosure and driver (if necessary). I use the gmesh to mesh the CAD. This is essentially similar to one of the bundled examples:

Direct-sound only analysis: root folder/AKABAK Examples/Direct Sound/45 Tower - LE MeasRadiator (you need to have drivers' measured SPL, impedance, etc)

BEM: ABEC21 Sealed Mesh-Files

When I started with ABEC 3, I followed and modified the bundled examples to learn the software. I is not easy at all compared to LEAP 5. In LEAP 5, you input/design your system intuitively. The software takes care everything in the background.

AKABAK 3/ABEC 3 needs substantial human "interventions" for proper modelling, in particular involving BEM and external mesh files. I am stilling learning. It forces us to know more the physics and modelling. It is good eventually.

Start with the examples. This is my humble advice for beginners.

I made a youtube video for the pressure box examples. Hope that help.

YouTube

Last edited by panson_hk; 9th May 2020 at 03:32 AM.
Old 9th May 2020, 03:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
I found a video on youtube....that was very helpful, I've just done more with the program tham ever...when I went to solve it asked for vac...I have downloaded vac and put it contents into the akabak folder, but the program tells me it cannot find/load the cansimportant_balloons....
Is VACS opened when you select "Options->Open VACS" or click the "VACS" icon in the tool bar?
Old 11th May 2020, 09:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Simple sealed box simulation

The aim of this exercise is to familiar the design flow of AKABAK. A simple sealed box with a cone loudspeaker driver is used. In contrast to the previous pressure box (direct-sound analysis) example, we move into the “heart” of the software – BEM. There are more steps needed to accomplish it.

The enclosure and driver dimension are somewhat arbitrary. Outer dimension of the enclosure is 100 x 170 x 110 mm. Uniform wall thickness of 5 mm is assumed. Symmetry along z-axis is used. Hence, BMR parameter dialog is as shown below.

Click the image to open in full size.

We therefore only need to define nodes of one-half size of the box and driver. Note we need to define both nodes for external and internal walls as depicted below.

Nodes for setting observation fields and points are needed as well. Two subdomains are used. Subdomain with EIType = exterior is used for the free space (enclosure external). Subdomain with EIType = interior is used for enclosure internal.

Neumann boundary type is set for enclosure external elements. On the other hand, wall impedance is selected for enclosure internal elements.

Shell component is used to model the driver front surface which is belong to the enclosure-external subdomain. The rear driver surface associated with the enclosure-internal subdomain is inherited from the front surface.

Lumped-element schematic is illustrated in the next figure. The parameters are somewhat “typical” for a 4” driver.

BEM and field mesh size are rather large to minimize computational time. Once the model has been solved with error, we can increase mesh density.

Enclosure internal ad external nodes.

Node for observations.

BEM exterior subdomain.

BEM interior subdomain.

Observation setting.

Result.

The file for download http://akabak.pansonaudio.com/Sealed...%20Box%201.akp

Let me know if you find any error. Have fun!

AKABAK 3Hide this!Advertise here!