Installing LinearX LEAP 5 on 64-bit Windows 7 / Windows 10

driver problem with FilterShop

I'm having the same general issue (I think) with running FilterShop on my Win7 64 bit machine. The system won't recognize the LXK_USB.INF. It won't even get to the stage of having to deal with an unsigned driver. I've tried a number of ways to install it, but no method recognizes it as a driver in the first place.

Any ideas, anyone?

And, I'm keen to locate a copy and dongle for LEAP, if anyone has ideas.

I have LEAP working on 64-bit Windows 10 -- dongle driver installed, software install errors worked around, etc. (It's far less complicated than on 64-bit Windows 7.) I've written up instructions and need a few folk to help test before I share the instructions more widely.

I missed this, perhaps that is my issue. I'll try on my Win 10 machine and report back.

An update: After more carefully reading through this thread, I found the signed driver. Great stuff. My case so far applies to FilterShop which uses the same dongle driver.

Win7 64 machine
Disabling driver verification with F8 presses, I was able to get the driver installed and Windows happy with it. I did not have to modify the registry. Installing FilterShop at the root, the installation worked fine and I'm now able to run the program without issue.

Win10 machine
The story here is not so happy.

I installed the program at the root and the install didn't finish properly, throwing a "1332: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done". However, the program is actually there and does run, looking of course for the dongle.

I installed the dongle driver. F8 presses don't work to get to the screen to disable driver verification on my Dell laptop. I found some elevated cmd window commands that will do that and be sticky only until the next reboot.

That allowed me to install the driver, but Windows gave a warning in the dongle properties window that the driver, while installed, may not be trustworthy. And wouldn't you know - the program can't see the dongle UNLESS driver verification is currently disabled when the program starts.

I tried modifying the registry as indicated in this thread. The modification took, but it didn't help this issue.

I found a way to keep getting to the disable menu so that every time the machine starts I can disable it or not, but that's a bit of a hassle. Bottom line on this Win10 machine: driver/dongle issue and program not fully installed quasi-issue.

I got filtershop working in Windows 10 64 bit native mode.

Follow the same procedure above but change LEAP to Filtershop both for the directory and application name. Install at the base C: drive and the update works and make sure to change the drivers in the driver directory

LinearX LEAP On Windows 11 (64-Bit) Update

I successfully ran LEAP on 64-bit Windows 11 Home edition using the test-signed USB drivers previously shared in this thread. Please read all of the steps before trying this.

Step 1: Determine if you have BitLocker disk encryption enabled. If so, you'll need to have the recovery key(s) to get into the configuration stuff in Step 2.

[ Rant: I was surprised to find out that BitLocker was turned on at the HP factory on my new laptop. This wasn't mentioned and, had I not discovered this, I would not have known to seek out the recovery key. I turned BitLocker off before continuing so, it it is enabled, I don't know exactly what you'll see in Step 2. ]

Step 2: Restart the computer to enter a trouble-shooting/recovery mode. To do this, click Start button, right-click the power icon to bring up the sleep/shutdown/restart context menu. While holding down the shift key, click restart.

This will restart into a recovery mode. Choose the Troubleshoot option, then Advanced Options, and then Startup Settings. Then you'll click Restart to reboot into the available startup settings.

After the reboot, you'll disable driver signature enforcement with F7. This will finally restart Windows with the driver signature enforcement disabled.

Note well: This is a temporary state, i.e., driver signature enforcement will be re-enabled at the next boot. You will need to complete the remaining steps only once but will need to repeat this step each time that you want to use LEAP.

Step 3: Install the LEAP LXK USB driver as follows (while in the driver signature enforcement disabled configuration):

* Plug in the LXK key.

* Go to the Device Manager (Start, search for Device Manager) and find the LXK License Key under USB License Keys.

* Right-click and select Update Driver.

* Select "Browse My Computer For Drivers / Locate and install a driver manually."

* Navigate to the folder containing the driver, [LEAP folder]\Drivers and select.

At this point, I'm using the test-signed drivers attached to an early post in this thread. I don't know if the original (unsigned) LEAP drivers will work. If you try the original unsigned drivers, please report back how that went. Anyway, continuing with my test-signed driver.

* Windows will complain that it cannot verify the authenticity of the driver signature. If you trust me -- and you shouldn't trust me or anyone FWIW -- accept the untrusted signed drivers.

* Windows should indicate that the driver was installed.

Before rebooting, try running LEAP ES or CS. It should work. If not, please try the steps again and post what didn't work (with details).

If it worked, you should be able to reboot using Step 2 whenever you want to use LEAP.

Please post your experience in this thread so we know what works and what doesn't.

An update for me with Filtershop. You may know it uses the same dongle driver, see my post above. I am now successfully using Filtershop on both Win 7 64 and Windows 10 Pro machines, using the same technique I found online:

Step 1. Open a Command Prompt with admin privileges. In Windows 10/8.1/8, press the Windows key + X and select “Command Prompt (admin)”. In Windows 7/XP/Vista, you can type “command prompt” in the Start search box, right-click on “Command Prompt” in the result and select “run as administrator”.

Step 2. Type the following command and press the Enter key:
bcdedit /set testsigning on

You should receive the “The operation completed successfully” message.

THIS IS PERMANENT, and will be invoked every time you start the machine. The dongle will be recognizedl You will see something like this in bottom right corner of your screen:
Test Mode
Windows 10 Pro
Build ......

As far as I can tell, this does not interfere with anything else.

Should you desire to undo the Test Mode and restore to nomal operation, issue this command and it too will stick
bcdedit /set testsigning off

rdunn,
I am running Win 10 64 bit for Workstations and was able to successfully get Leap running via your original instructions (load drivers with unsigned drivers disabled) and it continued to run after booting back normally. Unfortunately, after a recent windows update 21H2 2022-1, 19044.1469 , it stopped working, and I get the error "no key found, please connect key and restart". I can still reload your self signed driver in unsigned drivers disabled mode, and Leap starts, but as soon as I reboot to normal operation, I get the error. Bitlocker is off, TPM and Secure boot are enabled (not sure if they play a roll). I tried your most recent method above, and windows tells me the best drivers are already installed.
Am I left with either running Leap in the F7 mode, as I believe you're describing in post 56, or do I have to run as jasman describes in post 57?
Is there no way to tell windows to leave the driver alone when doing a windows update? I've searched the web and it seems many others are equally frustrated with this issue.

Am I left with either running Leap in the F7 mode, as I believe you're describing in post 56, or do I have to run as jasman describes in post 57?
Is there no way to tell windows to leave the driver alone when doing a windows update? I've searched the web and it seems many others are equally frustrated with this issue.
First, I doubt that a Windows update actually replaces the LinearX driver. It's not maintained and M$ doesn't have a signed version to deliver. But I could be wrong but it seems highly unlikely. So you should only have to do Step 3 once.

I think that the F7 method vs the "bcdedit /set testsigning on" method differ primarily in that the first is a temporary state (until next boot) and the second is permanent until you set testsigning off and reboot (or until M$ rewrites the BCD during an update). I prefer the former because I don't want to leave test signing on unless I actually need to use LEAP.

There may be another subtle difference: The F7 method is "unsigned drivers" and the other is "test signed drivers." That is, the F7 method may allow the original unsigned LinearX driver where the other may require that the driver be signed with a test certificate. But I've not verified the unsigned case for F7. Obviously, if you use the signed driver, either method should work.

A third option might be to use my original Windows 10 instructions to create two boot modes (using the BCD edit stuff). That approach allowed you to select which mode at boot time (without going through the reboot/menus to get to the F7 part). Don't know if this works in Win11 or if Windows updates will screw that up. Maybe I'll give that a try....