Installing LinearX LEAP 5 on 64-bit Windows 7 / Windows 10

Thanks for the response, rdunn.
I guess the thing that I'm puzzled by first is that a week or so ago I tried your procedure from post #11, and it worked. Under F7, I was able to install your self signed driver and ES and CS both worked. I was also able to boot back to normal windows and it continued to work. Then the windows update I mentioned above was installed, and it stopped working in normal windows.....it still works in F7 boot. So, I was wondering what about the windows update changed things. If I have to go to F7 boot to use Leap, so be it, but it's frustrating to see it working in normal boot and an update breaks it for no apparent reason. I have an older copy of SoundEasy, but Leap is a lot easier to use, IMHO.

Quick note: BCDEDIT /set testsigning on doesn't work on my new Windows 11 (Home) laptop due to Secure Boot. I've not tried disabling SB in the BIOS, etc., which appears to be required to set test-signing on in the BCD. I don't plan to pursue that right now so if others figure it out, please share.

LinearX LEAP On Windows 11 (64-Bit) Update

I successfully ran LEAP on 64-bit Windows 11 Home edition using the test-signed USB drivers previously shared in this thread. Please read all of the steps before trying this.

Step 1: Determine if you have BitLocker disk encryption enabled. If so, you'll need to have the recovery key(s) to get into the configuration stuff in Step 2.

[ Rant: I was surprised to find out that BitLocker was turned on at the HP factory on my new laptop. This wasn't mentioned and, had I not discovered this, I would not have known to seek out the recovery key. I turned BitLocker off before continuing so, it it is enabled, I don't know exactly what you'll see in Step 2. ]

Step 2: Restart the computer to enter a trouble-shooting/recovery mode. To do this, click Start button, right-click the power icon to bring up the sleep/shutdown/restart context menu. While holding down the shift key, click restart.

This will restart into a recovery mode. Choose the Troubleshoot option, then Advanced Options, and then Startup Settings. Then you'll click Restart to reboot into the available startup settings.

After the reboot, you'll disable driver signature enforcement with F7. This will finally restart Windows with the driver signature enforcement disabled.

Note well: This is a temporary state, i.e., driver signature enforcement will be re-enabled at the next boot. You will need to complete the remaining steps only once but will need to repeat this step each time that you want to use LEAP.

Step 3: Install the LEAP LXK USB driver as follows (while in the driver signature enforcement disabled configuration):

* Plug in the LXK key.

* Go to the Device Manager (Start, search for Device Manager) and find the LXK License Key under USB License Keys.

* Right-click and select Update Driver.

* Select "Browse My Computer For Drivers / Locate and install a driver manually."

* Navigate to the folder containing the driver, [LEAP folder]\Drivers and select.

At this point, I'm using the test-signed drivers attached to an early post in this thread. I don't know if the original (unsigned) LEAP drivers will work. If you try the original unsigned drivers, please report back how that went. Anyway, continuing with my test-signed driver.

* Windows will complain that it cannot verify the authenticity of the driver signature. If you trust me -- and you shouldn't trust me or anyone FWIW -- accept the untrusted signed drivers.

* Windows should indicate that the driver was installed.

Before rebooting, try running LEAP ES or CS. It should work. If not, please try the steps again and post what didn't work (with details).

If it worked, you should be able to reboot using Step 2 whenever you want to use LEAP.

Please post your experience in this thread so we know what works and what doesn't.
Rdun
LinearX LEAP On Windows 11 (64-Bit) Update

I successfully ran LEAP on 64-bit Windows 11 Home edition using the test-signed USB drivers previously shared in this thread. Please read all of the steps before trying this.

Step 1: Determine if you have BitLocker disk encryption enabled. If so, you'll need to have the recovery key(s) to get into the configuration stuff in Step 2.

[ Rant: I was surprised to find out that BitLocker was turned on at the HP factory on my new laptop. This wasn't mentioned and, had I not discovered this, I would not have known to seek out the recovery key. I turned BitLocker off before continuing so, it it is enabled, I don't know exactly what you'll see in Step 2. ]

Step 2: Restart the computer to enter a trouble-shooting/recovery mode. To do this, click Start button, right-click the power icon to bring up the sleep/shutdown/restart context menu. While holding down the shift key, click restart.

This will restart into a recovery mode. Choose the Troubleshoot option, then Advanced Options, and then Startup Settings. Then you'll click Restart to reboot into the available startup settings.

After the reboot, you'll disable driver signature enforcement with F7. This will finally restart Windows with the driver signature enforcement disabled.

Note well: This is a temporary state, i.e., driver signature enforcement will be re-enabled at the next boot. You will need to complete the remaining steps only once but will need to repeat this step each time that you want to use LEAP.

Step 3: Install the LEAP LXK USB driver as follows (while in the driver signature enforcement disabled configuration):

* Plug in the LXK key.

* Go to the Device Manager (Start, search for Device Manager) and find the LXK License Key under USB License Keys.

* Right-click and select Update Driver.

* Select "Browse My Computer For Drivers / Locate and install a driver manually."

* Navigate to the folder containing the driver, [LEAP folder]\Drivers and select.

At this point, I'm using the test-signed drivers attached to an early post in this thread. I don't know if the original (unsigned) LEAP drivers will work. If you try the original unsigned drivers, please report back how that went. Anyway, continuing with my test-signed driver.

* Windows will complain that it cannot verify the authenticity of the driver signature. If you trust me -- and you shouldn't trust me or anyone FWIW -- accept the untrusted signed drivers.

* Windows should indicate that the driver was installed.

Before rebooting, try running LEAP ES or CS. It should work. If not, please try the steps again and post what didn't work (with details).

If it worked, you should be able to reboot using Step 2 whenever you want to use LEAP.

Please post your experience in this thread so we know what works and what doesn't.
Thank you so much for the update, Im just getting back into design and I will try this tomorrow. I did have an exciting evening, I got LEAP 4.6 up and running using a Pentium II and my original LEAP key I bought 1n 1995! I was a wonderful site, I actual prefer the original 4.XX version . The machine also has a full length IAS slot that holds my LMS card so I am ready to go! Such a shame that Chris passed, he was brilliant! I will work on LEAP 5 tomorrow. I don't know the legality of sharing keys but it would be a shame to lose LEAP forever, these keys have to be copied or cracked, its only $300!

GD

Does VituixCad have a crossover optimizer as good as LEAP? It looks really interesting.
Objectively and IMHO, it is better.

I can't think of a single thing that LEAP does better than VituixCad. Once I started using VituixCad, I still kept LEAP installed thinking I might end up using some parts of it . I never used LEAP again for anything other than looking at old LEAP projects.

I don't have a horse in this race. Just really find VituixCad to be an amazing program. LEAP seems like a dinosaur in comparison.

Objectively and IMHO, it is better.

I can't think of a single thing that LEAP does better than VituixCad. Once I started using VituixCad, I still kept LEAP installed thinking I might end up using some parts of it . I never used LEAP again for anything other than looking at old LEAP projects.

I don't have a horse in this race. Just really find VituixCad to be an amazing program. LEAP seems like a dinosaur in comparison.
Can I ask you what you are using for measurements, I still use LMS, works great but it have to be run in win 98 and needs a full length ISA slot, talk about dinosaurs. I have heard much talk about CLIO but people say that there little documentation or help, there should be something out there by now, VituixCad seems to have all the curve calculations one could want and handles minimum phase the same way as LMS, just need something accurate to measure impedance and SPL a d spit out a file.

I've been using REW for the past 10 years and found it to be as good or better than MLSSA, LMS, CLIO, ARTA, Audio Precision, and Soundcheck.

Support and documentation for REW is excellent. The author maintains a great support forum for the software, quickly fixes bugs and he is very receptive to suggestions about how to improve the software. And the software is free! It really is a generous gift to the audio community. Well worth the $100 donation I sent the author.

I encourage users to donate to the REW and VituixCad software authors. I doubt it will pay for the time they have and will hopefully continue to invest in the software but it is at least helpful and motivates them to continue supporting the software.

I've been using REW for the past 10 years and found it to be as good or better than MLSSA, LMS, CLIO, ARTA, Audio Precision, and Soundcheck.

Support and documentation for REW is excellent. The author maintains a great support forum for the software, quickly fixes bugs and he is very receptive to suggestions about how to improve the software. And the software is free! It really is a generous gift to the audio community. Well worth the $100 donation I sent the author.

I encourage users to donate to the REW and VituixCad software authors. I doubt it will pay for the time they have and will hopefully continue to invest in the software but it is at least helpful and motivates them to continue supporting the software.
That sounds great, and what mic do you recommend, mini dsp, Dayton?

Gotta chime in and say Chris was a HUGE hero to me. For literally years designing speakers I was like "this is all so stupid, can't someone write a software package that can take actual magnitude and phase of the response and impedance and do a straighforward voltage divider?!?!? So we don't have to spend $30k on some Bruel and Kjaer thing that doesn't even do that?!?!" Lo and Behold, here came LEAP (and MLSSA too!). LMS never enthralled me, I didn't like the assumption of linear phase for the inverse Hilbert transform, I liked the actual and quick measurements with MLSSA. But LEAP, wow, I could do crossover simulations that actually matched my measurements!!! AND subwoofer simulations that actually matched my nearfield measurements as well, oh HALLELUJAH!!! RIP Chris.

I got an unused dongle and software...let me see what the heck versions I have, and if my old business partner wants them.

One thing I recall is I could export from LEAP backward to LMS and calculate step and impulse response. And I think tone bursts? Or am I misrecalling that???