VituixCAD

Hello guys,

I am considering to start a new Vituixcad thread for newbies, this was suggested by one of the other more experienced members. This way, we don't have to bug the veterans on this particular thread. They can still keep an eye out for what is going on in the new thread and help out but the amatuers could discuss simple things and help each other out till we get some experience.

Of course it's nice to keep everything in one place but this might work and come in handy to get some of us started.

Some opinions from others before I start the thread.

Reactions: 2 users
At the same time it's free for anyone to open any topic about VituixCAD on any forum?

Sorry, but I am really lost what you actually really want @kimmosto?

You shared your frustrations about newbie and simple straightforward questions because of lack of time and energy, but at the same time you ALSO share your frustration when people who maybe have a little less experience and knowledge want to make a separate topic to lift the burden?

Official VCAD thread is at htguide.com. I will not split to multiple forums and threads without very good reason.
If your okay with us newbies asking really amatuer questions than even better for it to continue here. I just don't want to hesitate to ask something simple in amongst veteran discussions. Also, I actually thought that it might benefit you Kim but if your okay for it to remain here than no problem.

Currently, I am trying to connect the biquads(literally connect from dot to dot) on the crossover and the red dot has disappearred upon putting two biquads together and linking it up to the woofer but still don't get the roll off for the woofer to show in the SPL graph any ideas? This is the type of question that I have to ask unfortunately.

Upon connecting the two biqauds on the woofer the 3 responses in the SPL graph move up but nothing with the corresponding roll offs.

At the same time it's free for anyone to open any topic about VituixCAD on any forum?

Sorry, but I am really lost what you actually really want @kimmosto?

You shared your frustrations about newbie and simple straightforward questions because of lack of time and energy, but at the same time you ALSO share your frustration when people who maybe have a little less experience and knowledge want to make a separate topic to lift the burden?

I was under this impression as well. Hence why I thought that it might be worth opening up a new thread.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Kimmo. I have attempted to put together some documentation for useful information that may not be completely obvious to everyone using the software, such as exporting the filter transfer function to APO EQ, and using the transfer function block as an "auto-EQ" type of function. Unfortunately the response to this documentation has not been very enthusiastic, there seemed to be a lack of interest however I did not make any great attempt in self promotion, just posted the documents in a few places where I thought they would be helpful. Lacking interest, and my own laziness prevents me from actively pursuing further instructions in my spare time.

Ultimately I would like to expand documentation in VituixCAD, providing a lot more "FAQ" type of information, perhaps even some Youtube video type of information to update and expand on the old videos provided in Kimmo's Youtube channel. There's often "newbies" trying to apply instructions for more basic tools like Xsim or PCD to VituixCAD and getting confused, due to the amount of poor instruction and bad advice available on the internet it would be great to see additional instruction dedicated to VituixCAD as a means of "debunking" poor information available elsewhere. Unfortunately I am lacking motivation and have many other things to keep me busy in my spare time. There's a lot of great information buried in the past 200 pages of this thread that is not easily found/searched and hidden among a lot of bickering and repeating fundamentals. It would be great to compile some of the highlights of past discussions to a FAQ.

As far as splitting discussions to new threads, I am in favour of this. This long single thread for VituixCAD is treated more like a chat room than a forum, and like I mentioned above it makes searching through past discussions rather difficult. For a forum, I think separate threads are beneficial, ideally a dedicated VituixCAD forum would be great, however the software tools section here works just fine in the interim. The problem of "the blind leading the blind" will always be a problem regardless of how well the information is organized, but if the correct information is more easily found, everyone benefits.

Reactions: 2 users
Currently, I am trying to connect the biquads(literally connect from dot to dot) on the crossover and the red dot has disappearred upon putting two biquads together and linking it up to the woofer but still don't get the roll off for the woofer to show in the SPL graph any ideas? This is the type of question that I have to ask unfortunately.
Please share screenshots of what you are doing. Easily done here, Win+Shift+S to use the snipping tool, then simply paste in the forum post directly.

If you are using the digital biquad block, I believe I provided specific instruction above to avoid this and use the active filter blocks that provide parameters that are easily understood by humans.

Last edited:
Please share screenshots of what you are doing. Easily done here, Win+Shift+S to use the snipping tool, then simply paste in the forum post directly.

If you are using the digital biquad block, I believe I provided specific instruction above to avoid this and use the active filter blocks that provide parameters that are easily understood by humans.
I am pretty sure the below is with the use of active filter blocks(I hope). But please correct me if I am wrong.

From what I have seen with Youtube the graph for the woofer should have its corresponding high pass and low pass roll offs at 300hz and 2095hz but I cant see it. They seem connected, no red dots that also means there connected so I can't see what I am doing wrong.

1667062558818.png

If you look closely you will see a black line running straight through your blocks from input to output, shorting them out. Delete the circuit traces and redo connections from source to filter to driver.

Work flow should be to place components, then connect with circuit traces. If you connect traces from source to driver first, placing a block on top does not cut the trace, it's still connected from source to driver.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Kimmo. I have attempted to put together some documentation for useful information that may not be completely obvious to everyone using the software, such as exporting the filter transfer function to APO EQ, and using the transfer function block as an "auto-EQ" type of function. Unfortunately the response to this documentation has not been very enthusiastic, there seemed to be a lack of interest however I did not make any great attempt in self promotion, just posted the documents in a few places where I thought they would be helpful. Lacking interest, and my own laziness prevents me from actively pursuing further instructions in my spare time.

Ultimately I would like to expand documentation in VituixCAD, providing a lot more "FAQ" type of information, perhaps even some Youtube video type of information to update and expand on the old videos provided in Kimmo's Youtube channel. There's often "newbies" trying to apply instructions for more basic tools like Xsim or PCD to VituixCAD and getting confused, due to the amount of poor instruction and bad advice available on the internet it would be great to see additional instruction dedicated to VituixCAD as a means of "debunking" poor information available elsewhere. Unfortunately I am lacking motivation and have many other things to keep me busy in my spare time. There's a lot of great information buried in the past 200 pages of this thread that is not easily found/searched and hidden among a lot of bickering and repeating fundamentals. It would be great to compile some of the highlights of past discussions to a FAQ.

As far as splitting discussions to new threads, I am in favour of this. This long single thread for VituixCAD is treated more like a chat room than a forum, and like I mentioned above it makes searching through past discussions rather difficult. For a forum, I think separate threads are beneficial, ideally a dedicated VituixCAD forum would be great, however the software tools section here works just fine in the interim. The problem of "the blind leading the blind" will always be a problem regardless of how well the information is organized, but if the correct information is more easily found, everyone benefits.
Perhaps a post with links to useful references, including your documentation, would be sufficient. A post that could be updated, with an unlimited time window for editing. Then, just refer to that post from time to time as needed.

Or, perhaps a new vituixcad reference thread that is closed to comments so it doesn't get messy.

Last edited:
Personally, I would LOVE a very basic, VERY simple introduction to how to get started in VCAD. Maybe it already exists, but I can't seem to find it. I tried reading the online help, but I quickly got lost in what the author assumed I already knew, which was almost nothing. Perhaps this software isn't for me, but I'd like to give it a try. I've been building speakers on and off for a couple years, but I'd like to try my hand at designing something myself, if that's possible with this software. Nothing fancy, no crossovers or anything, just a simple full range driver in a box to start.

Reactions: 1 user
The problem is only that loudspeaker design is neither basic, nor simple. The software is a tool, pre-requisite is some acoustic & electrical knowledge/experience.
I only partially agree with this.

Measuring speakers isn't really difficult and once you know the drill actually very easy. Staying methodical and consistent is absolute key.

Things that can go wrong are the difficult part. Especially recognizing the good from the bad. Unfortunately that has to come from experience in my opinion.
You can't teach that, mostly because there are so many things that can go wrong if you're not careful.

To be very honest about it, some people will also never get it.
I am not talking only about hobbyists.

Last edited: