• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Simplest or easyest dc filament supply for 300B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Simplest or easyest dc filament supply for 300B.

What would be the easiest way to make a filament DC 5V for a 300B ?

Santiago

Attachments

• 446dae102fee6031aef853eb8abdea13.jpg
    446dae102fee6031aef853eb8abdea13.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 596
The Electra-Print DRD is introducing a winding voltage that will pretty much require a separate power transformer (very few come with a 7V winding) and dumping a bunch of that with a resistive input.

The 7805 works fine but you need to ensure that you have 2V of compliance for the regulator, and that would be 2V of compliance when your line voltage is 5-10% low. Then you need to figure out what the compliance is when your line voltage is 5-10% high, then run the thermal calculations to see how big of a heatsink you need. That's a reasonably large heatsink. You're also back to needing a winding that's more than 6.3V. This might be workable on the 5V/3A rectifier winding if you use a voltage doubler and drop some voltage with an RC filter.

DHT filaments are a special use case and require more attention than just adding a DC supply - remember that the filaments are actually connected to the the cathode in the 300B so the power supplies directly affect the sound.

If you want to do it right, the simplest way would be to use these modules (one per 300B of course);

Tube filament supply

If you want a more DIY approach I recommend these kits;

Rod Coleman DHT Filament Regulator

I have first hand experience - I run a derivative of the Transcendent 300B SE-OTL amps - thats four 300Bs per channel, single-ended with no output transformer that uses eight of this type of filament supply - ridiulously inefficient but so, so special.

Sorry, but how does simple and easy imply a cost? What could be simpler than hooking up an assemble PCB module.

Either one will have to sit down and determine the values to make said module work with a 300B, or the modules will have to be custom ordered.

The diodes, choke, and capacitors are available from a multitude of electronic component distributors.

Reactions: 1 user
Either one will have to sit down and determine the values to make said module work with a 300B, or the modules will have to be custom ordered.

The diodes, choke, and capacitors are available from a multitude of electronic component distributors.

The original poster asked for suggestions for simple and easy filament supply solutions, with no mention of a budget constraint. I offered, in good faith, my suggestions, of which I have direct experience, along with other DC solutions for DHT tubes. The original poster is free to follow up on my suggestions if they choose to do so, as are you; no problem if they don't. What's the problem with that?

Both of the suppliers I linked to would take care of configuring the modules to suit the specific requirement.

Beyond that, life is just to short...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.