Source for a good Tripath 2020 amp board

Can anyone suggest a good source for a good Tripath 2020 amplifier board ?
I went to the diyparadise.com site and tried to contact them about the Charlize 2 board .
I was unsuccessful in trying to create a user account there .
Their web page showed their captcha icon as not working and my Safari browser showed the term "unsecured web site" in red in the top pane.
Maybe they are closed down ?
I own a Topping MK2 amp that works and sounds great with my Seas very efficient full range speakers...... but all it's connectors are crammed right next to each other on the rear panel .
I want to make my own 2020 amp with a better layout in a slightly larger chassis with a fused power inlet, larger PS jack and better potentiometer.
I am downsizing from a large and very excellent tube amp for a number of reasons .
Small grandchildren around ; excess amp heat ; Wife wanting to dust the tubes while they're operating (( ::< O ....etc.
Any tips appreciated.
I also have a Dayton DTA 2050 amp but input connectors loose and has hiss galore . A SMSL 3118 with less hiss but fatiguing treble . The 2020 sounds best and NO HISS.

thanks

Hi Kevin,
A couple of possibilities from a trading site I have used frequently and have good experiences with in general. Delivery is slow due to the very low shipping costs. In the few cases nothing arrived during 2 months my money were returned.
A fact to take into account: Tripath went bankrupt around 2007 and since then no official Tripath production can be found. You can still buy TA2020 chips and I have some awaiting time to make amplifiers with them. But, such chips can be said to be "fake" in the sense that their origin is uncertain and most likely not from a production lot before 2007. The same is the case for other Tripath chips.
I have recently bough a TA2024 based board that functions very well and a TA2022 board that functions. I just haven't had time to ensure my TA2020 works. If you want a TA2020 board today you most likely have to accept it is based on a "fake" chip. Else, you have to look for a second hand board from before 2007.
TA2020 power amplifierS board Deluxe upgrade board 20Wx2-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
AIYIMA TA2020 Audio Amplifier Board 20W*2 Class T Stereo 2.0 Channel Digital Amplifiers DC12V Home Theater DIY-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks for your helpful post and information provided FF;

I realize that the 2020 is kind of ancient history now and one option is looking for an older used 2020 amp online to cannibalize the board from to use .
My Topping TP20 sounds substantially better on my full range speakers than my 2050 very hissy Dayton or fatiguing treble hissy SMSL 3118 ; so hence my reason for looking for a 2020 amp .
The only issue on the Topping as mentioned is the power, input and output connectors are jammed all up against each other.

Hi kevinr, I have a spare Charlize 2 I can sell you. In 2010 I bought a second board because I thought my first board was faulty - but it turned out that I had an earthing problem with my Paul Hynes regulator instead. The original board has only been powered up a few times, so is new-near condition. Message me if you are interested.

If you want a TA2020 board today you most likely have to accept it is based on a "fake" chip. Else, you have to look for a second hand board from before 2007.
That's possibly true, and partly true. But you can be assured that the all "Charlize" boards have genuine Tripath chips. I understand that Yeo at diyparadise only stopped building these boards once his stock of chips ran out. What you see on the diyparadise website is new-old-stock - and the website lists only one unit in stock.

How does the Charlize stack up against modern equivalents today? Please read my TA2020 vs TPA3118 vs TDA8932 comparison, especially the "UPDATE September 2018" post -
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/322666-ta2020-vs-tpa3118-vs-tda8932-comparison.html#post5539856

I'm using the Charlize 2 right now. I'm also experimenting with other class D amps using balanced inputs, but until I find one which betters my Charlize, the Charlize will remain my main amp.

How does the Charlize stack up against modern equivalents today? Please read my TA2020 vs TPA3118 vs TDA8932 comparison, especially the "UPDATE September 2018" post -
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/cla...pa3118-vs-tda8932-comparison.html#post5539856

I'm using the Charlize 2 right now. I'm also experimenting with other class D amps using balanced inputs, but until I find one which betters my Charlize, the Charlize will remain my main amp.

You did a very thorough job in comparing these three chips.
It is for me no surprise that TA2020 comes out at the top. I have never read about anyone being disappointed in the TA2020 sound quality, only the output power level is a limit.
Personally I believe in a huge potential from the TDA8932 chip. The very basic and cheap Sanwu implementation does not reveal its full potential. Unfortunately there are little other (known) boards using TDA8932. Matt made an excellent PCB for a serious TDA8932 implementation and that should be really high quality sound but still with somewhat limited power reserves (inherent from the chip design).
I have several TPA3116/18 boards and that is hit because of good sound but in particular low price, little power loss, low impedance of the power switches, a huge range of supply voltages and inherent BTL operation that very easily is changed into PBTL operation. An enormous versatility at a power level most people can do with.

Last edited:
TA2020 vs TPA3118 vs TDA8932 comparison

Thank you for posting that link Linus , interesting reading for sure .

I am sending a private message about your Charlize 2 offered here.

Hi Kevin,
A couple of possibilities from a trading site I have used frequently and have good experiences with in general. Delivery is slow due to the very low shipping costs. In the few cases nothing arrived during 2 months my money were returned.
A fact to take into account: Tripath went bankrupt around 2007 and since then no official Tripath production can be found. You can still buy TA2020 chips and I have some awaiting time to make amplifiers with them. But, such chips can be said to be "fake" in the sense that their origin is uncertain and most likely not from a production lot before 2007. The same is the case for other Tripath chips.
I have recently bough a TA2024 based board that functions very well and a TA2022 board that functions. I just haven't had time to ensure my TA2020 works. If you want a TA2020 board today you most likely have to accept it is based on a "fake" chip. Else, you have to look for a second hand board from before 2007.
TA2020 power amplifierS board Deluxe upgrade board 20Wx2-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
AIYIMA TA2020 Audio Amplifier Board 20W*2 Class T Stereo 2.0 Channel Digital Amplifiers DC12V Home Theater DIY-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Good luck with your purchase.

Have been searching regarding the TA2020. Have been downsizing and do like the sound of the "fake" chip though who knows if they all come from the same factory. Thanks for the links.

Just resurrecting this thread because I have made contact with Yeo (I had to do some detective work, because I also had no luck through the webshop) and I am told that the final ever Charlize boards are in production! After this, it's the end of the line. If anyone else is interested, PM me and I will put you in touch.

TA2020 is not extinct: I just built an amp from two of these modules, modifying them with air-cores and better caps, using the left channel only on each amp.

Results are stellar using a highly regulated overspecified linear PSU. The amp sounds best in the 9 to 9.5V range - 13.5V is more detailed, but lacks body/realism.

In sum, if you fancy a TA2020 project I highly recommend these, Assembled TA2020 Class T Amplifier Board DC12V 3A Amp 20W *2 | eBay

It's just that the trace paths are shorter on the left channel of these particular boards. I'm afraid I don't know enough about the internal structure of the chip to know which channel might be best. But just using a single channel of each module seemed a good idea for channel separation.

You have to try the lower voltage if your PSU allows it!

Hi Guys

I have been using 2 charlize 2 amps in biamp cofiguration with Paul hynes PR3i3b power regs and 2 large torroids with great sucess and great sound .
Unfortunatley a short with my speakers ( Arghhh!) took out one of the amps and one of the reulators. I am now on the hunt for another charlize 2, although I've tried to contact Yeo, I don't know if he's still in business. Do you know if anyone has a spare Charlize 2 and or PR3i3B? If not could the:

Assembled TA2020 Class T Amplifier Board DC12V 3A Amp 20W *2​

Mentioned by HarryPurser above be a good replacement?

Your help much appreciateed!!

Many thanks

Jono 2

Reactions: 1 user