Source for a good Tripath 2020 amp board

Hi Mikejennens

Many thanks for the reply and Links, although I meant something based on the 2020 chip as my power supplies are limited to 13.8 volts max

The charlize 2 is very good so any replacement would need to be fully tweaked exotic input caps, litz air coiled inductors etc. My speakers are the outstanding Horn loaded JBL 530's !

Are there any tweaks for this type of amp you can recommend?

Regards

Jono 2

Last edited:
Ta2022 is better than ta2020.
Ta2022 uses a dual voltage design. The ta2020 is similar to the 3116 using a single power supply design.
The performance of ta2022 is much better than that of ta2020. And I have a lot of sales. Very cheap. The assembled products can reduce the IC failure rate.

Hi ljim_ljim

Thanks for the recommendation of the Ta2022. Yes, as dreamth says it's definitely higher power than Ta 2020.

What is the input voltage required? For example the ta2020 needs between 9-14 volts..

Also the 2022 boards available, do they have soft start or no input caps? So no 'thump' when you turn the amp on through the speakers ?

Any particular 2022 assembled amps you'd recommend, Is it Ok for you to send a link?

How about the TA2024? Boards are still available under $10 shipped; I've been using one of those daily for a few years now, powered from a 12V 3.7A Wii power brick. I can't be certain the TA2024 chips on the market today are genuine, but if Tripath was making chips in vast quantities for consumer electronics, it might take a long time to use up the leftovers on amp boards that are sold to hobbyists.
Sure's version is more expensive than the cheap no-names, but I'd be very confident it has the genuine chip, and comes virtually ready to play. Just attach the included binding posts to the board and plug in power and RCA cables. (It was the first TA2024 board I bought.)
https://store.sure-electronics.com/product/AA-AB32155

Hi Dangus

Thanks for the recommendation and link. Sure seems like a good low cost solution. I may have to buy and see if it fits the bill? I was biamping before and have one Charlize 2 left intact but it maybe difficult to find another as DIY Paradise seemed to have shut down.

The reason I like the ta 2020, is with a Paul Hynes regulator (and massive toroid) plus various tweaks, you can sort of see inside the music, it sounds believable, very good tonality, very easy sounding, yet there's very little or no confusion with complex music and dynamics, bass control are fabulous......

I have no experience of the ta2024. As dreamth was asking what is the sound quality like?

Thanks in advance

Jono 2

Only more powerful, not "better", unless you need the power. The ta2020 was my favorite Tripath chip for its sound quality.
This is independent of power. Just like the BMW 320 does not only have a larger displacement than Jetta.
Ta2022 uses dual voltage. It does not need to use four inductors. It requires only 2 inductors. The resistance of two inductors is only half of that of four inductors.
And the thd distortion of ta2022 is much lower.
TA2022 0.015% THD+N @ 70W 4Ω
TA2020 0.1% THD+N @12W 4Ω
Ta2020 is a low-end product of TR company.
Ta2022 is a high-end product of TR company.
Even if you reduce the power of ta2022 by half. Still much better than ta2020
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...sign-designers-ljm.191743/page-3#post-7078819

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've used both extensively. Both are nice, I just prefer the 2020 for its sound quality. Some people like the 2024 which is the chip that got the Tripath craze going so many years ago. They sound slightly different. If you don't need the power, then the smaller BTL chips sound good and are easy to use.

"Much better" to you - isn't for everyone. It's horses for courses, use what fits your purpose. 7v RMS vs 16.5v RMS output can be very important if you need the headroom. If you don't, then the 2020 is a nice choice.

Hi Ljim_Ljim and Pano

Thanks for your responses. The specs look impressive for the ta2022, and a premium product . I did have an original SI amp with 2024 chip and that did sound sweet.

My issue at the moment relates to the fact I have two 13.8 regulated power supplies (ok one is damaged but will hopefully be repaired). I think the power supplies are crucial for the performance of class D amps, or any amp for that matter.

Maybe I will have to experiment the different chips, probably ready made kits is the best way to go. My speakers can handle 25-125 watts.

I guess I'll have a bit of trouble and expense getting getting comparable sound quality compared to the X2 ta2020 amps working in biamp mode in my system with not that much output wattage, yet was fine for SPL's my room 5.5mL x 3mW x 2.5mH

I am also really interested in the new generation, gallium nitride chip class D amps coming out The reviews seem impressive, as always implementation ie circuit design is key in getting good. No suitable low power kits yet, or many finished products Have you heard one or know someone who has?

Many Thanks

Jono 2

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Jono. 13.8v is as high as you'd want to go with the 2020, IME. Add a heatsink if you can. I like it at 13-13.8 volts much better than at 12V. I don't know why that should make a difference, but for me it did. Yes the PSU does make a significant difference for any amp, Class-D or other. What IS an amplifier but a fancy regulated PSU when you think about it? :D

Hi Pano, Yes I had a 12 volt SMPS when I got my first Charlize amp sounded v good. Getting dedicated 300Va toroids plus PH regs and biamping with a second charlize took the sound into the stratosphere, along with playing atttention to coupling/decoupling component isolation. This gave me the most detailed sound I've heard from any system before. So yes amps are fancy regulated PSU's !:D

Hi Ljim_Ljim and Pano

Thanks for your responses. The specs look impressive for the ta2022, and a premium product . I did have an original SI amp with 2024 chip and that did sound sweet.

My issue at the moment relates to the fact I have two 13.8 regulated power supplies (ok one is damaged but will hopefully be repaired). I think the power supplies are crucial for the performance of class D amps, or any amp for that matter.

Maybe I will have to experiment the different chips, probably ready made kits is the best way to go. My speakers can handle 25-125 watts.

I guess I'll have a bit of trouble and expense getting getting comparable sound quality compared to the X2 ta2020 amps working in biamp mode in my system with not that much output wattage, yet was fine for SPL's my room 5.5mL x 3mW x 2.5mH

I am also really interested in the new generation, gallium nitride chip class D amps coming out The reviews seem impressive, as always implementation ie circuit design is key in getting good. No suitable low power kits yet, or many finished products Have you heard one or know someone who has?

Many Thanks

Jono 2
I can understand what you think.
In fact, you should be able to understand my thoughts.
I think DIY is a multiple-choice question, not a short answer question.
There are too many similar products in the world. Maybe 90% of them are good.
So for me, I just need to choose a good one. A little worse. Can be ignored.
Human energy is limited. But maybe your application environment. Application conditions are limited.
So you have to use some chips. This can only be said.
In fact, they are not as different as expected.

I can understand what you think.
In fact, you should be able to understand my thoughts.
I think DIY is a multiple-choice question, not a short answer question.
There are too many similar products in the world. Maybe 90% of them are good.
So for me, I just need to choose a good one. A little worse. Can be ignored.
Human energy is limited. But maybe your application environment. Application conditions are limited.
So you have to use some chips. This can only be said.
In fact, they are not as different as expected.
Hi Ljm_ ljm

Yes, there are a lot of variables in the DIY world. I guess right now i'm trying to resurrect my biamp project before having to rethink my amplification completely. As you say there are alot of chips out there and probably as far a class D is concerned alot are really quite good, however, i don't necessarliy want or need lots of power, as the jbl 530 speakers I have although a 6 ohm and 86db are designed to be an easy load for the amplifier. It sounds like it, and I think there was some real synergy going on? maybe it's the horn loading of both drivers ? My source is a Chord mojo which sounds brillaint. I also have a rel strata 3 sub in my system that really helps ( with careful setting up and tuning) the low end plus all frequencies for that matter come together in an effortless and wonderful way.

Regards

Jono 2

Attachments

• IMG_20201207_125216.jpg
    IMG_20201207_125216.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Hi Bare

Yes, i know, when bought them, I said to the seller I may have to bring them back because of this issue, It seems on paper really bad, but in practice, volume is not a problem. I think badass power supplies 2 x 300va toroids with Paul Hynes regs plus Charlise 2 ta2020 biamped with the Rel sub combine into something really special. Have you heard JBL 530's? they do some extraordinary things. Greg timbers (the designer) knocked it out the park with these puppies!

Regards

jono 2

Last edited: