L-Adapter

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
LTspice says fantastically extended for flat. Keep well extended as an answer. It also says less than half Zo from what I derived with no load to 3A load mV drop method on the bench. But spice does not have copper traces and soldered screw connectors. Anyways, because not using error amplifier, moderate Zo but flat to what the various parts parasitic components would limit its logical to see as a spice answer.

Attachments

• LA_Zo_Sim.png
    LA_Zo_Sim.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 502
I am building my 2nd L-Adapter....
this one has a large off-board heatsink.

The L-Adapter guide, front page photograph, shows the bridge diodes as metal back packages...
but the bom has them as plastic packages D12-D15@FFPF30UP20STU

Presumably, as they are plastic packaged they can be all bolted to the communal heat-sink without isolaters ..???

and the only device that will need isolation /thermal pad is Q2 ??

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
use isolation on Q2 if attached to chassis. The standard wakefield heatsinks are anodized and not conductive.

as jimk04 notes, the Diodes are plastic backed and need no further isolation. If the chasis is 'rough finished' than grease may help with conduction if they get hot.

Latest Build

My first Salas L-adapter was stock and used to power a Raspberry Pi.

This one is a little more ambitious ....
I have an HP Thin-client HP5740 with 2GB flash storage and 3GB ram.
It is running Ubuntu server and I use it to record LP's to digital files via a temp/Ram-disk and arecord.

From various junk store finds I have used : a toroidial transformer rated 21.5-0-21.5 @6Amp (using only one half so 21.5V AC.)

Wonderful openwork case from an old JVC micro/mini amp and a 200mm x 130mm heat-sink from a sub-woofer.(yet to fully finish and enclose..;)...)

The L-Adapter replaces the standard HP SMPS (@ 19.5v and 3.42A.)
The HP5470 boots and runs superbly.... there is no measurable voltage drop nor any flickering/dimming of the LED array.

After several hours the heat-sink is barely warm to the touch.

I have used a long umbilical from the transformer to the L-Adapter and a short cable to the HP-5740.

Using the umbilical will allow quick changes of supply/transformers and the open-work case gives easy access to change jumpers and adjust the VR.... so I can use it in other projects when not needed for LP ripping.

From the image=set the left-hand device is the HP5740, the centre is the L-Adapter and the right is the Transformer box.

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 496
  • rear.JPG
    rear.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 487
  • front-down.JPG
    front-down.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 474
  • set.JPG
    set.JPG