Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

The electronic circuit see the ultracapacitor esr. It is very low it's why we use it.

Then you don't need to put the caps in parallel with the lifepo4. You could use a simpler PS to charge up the caps.

IMHO, there is some benefit to having both the caps and batteries directly connected to the load. Otherwise I don't see the point.
I expect the caps are superior to lifepo4, if you had to choose just one.

But obviously you can try whatever you want.

Randy

The reason why ultra capacitor/LifePO4 hybrid power supply is better is that at the back of the ultra capacitor is the pure battery power. While at back of the UCconditioner is the 5V regulator. Even though the UCconditioner still makes big improvement to the 5V RPi rail.
No noise with batteries even if there is resistance.

I see AVX SCC-E ultracapacitors with 200 uohms esr !

The Aurender W20 is was the world’s first music server to completely eliminate noise from AC power supplies and AC mains through the use of LiFePO4 (LFP) batteries to power the audio circuitry. Two banks of LiFePO4 batteries alternately power audio components and perform recharging. An additional bank of LiFePO4 batteries act as an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) and protect the system in case any sudden power outages.

UcConditioner prototype

Hi Guys,

The UcConditioner prototype is working. This is the prototype V2.0. The previous V1.0 needs an external USB power adapter as pre-charger. So I don't think that's a good solution.

UcConditioner was designed to improve the power supply quality of a 5V voltage rail, especially for RPi or other music player.

It will be very easy to integrate with my LifePO4 power supply. Just need to parallel the two 5V voltage rails together and to connect the on/off signal to the slave input of UcConditioner. Please keep in mind that always use bigger and shorter power cables for the output of this high quality passive power conditioner.

UcConditioner can also work with other kinds of 5V DC power supplies to boost their quality. It requires the power supplies in 4.95 to 5.3V rang with 2A or higher current. If the power supply doesn't provide an on/off signal, we can run the UcConditioner in auto trigger mode by connecting the slave control input to the on-board master output signal.

UcConditioner doesn't need an external pre-charger to charge the ultra capacitors. It has a smart scheme to charge the ultra capacitors automatically by the 5V power supply itself. So, for the first time, it can take up to half hour (depends on the capacitance) to fully pre-charge the ultra capacitors. But next time it will take only a couple of seconds when you turn on the power because they are not empty. Pre-charger has current limitation so the power supply that attached will be still functional/operating during pre-charge state.

After pre-charging is done, UcConditioner will go and stay in conditioning state. You can hear the relay is turned on with a blue LED is lit to ensure. In conditioning state, only the ultra capacitors are applied to the output. All other circuits are shut down. So the conditioning would be with only pure ultra capacitors.

UcConditioner has all kinds of power connectors to make it flexible for applications. But I'm not recommended the USBC connectors unless you have to.

Both BCAP0350 E270 T11 and BCAP0235 P270 S17 can be used. Theoretically lower ESR one has better performance. But which one is better would be really up to your personal preference.

BTW, all internal control signals are applied through optical isolators to insure they don't connect to ultra capacitors directly. And all external control signals are also in optical isolated and bi-polar.

UcConditioner can also be installed on top of a RPi HAT stack.

UcConditioner1
by Ian, on Flickr

UcConditioner2
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Last edited:
Hi Ian, Excellent!

I was just about to order some more, BCAP0235 P270 S17 for the other dac rails, as I am expecting the Bisesik's transformers next week.

I have had an excellent experience following your hybrid power approach, IMO it has been the biggest performance boost and would recommend everyone to try it:

My board

How would someone get hold of the UcConditioner?

Don't quite get the statement (below) "In conditioning state, only the ultra capacitors are applied to the output".
Only the ultracaps are supplying the output, not the LifePO4 batteries?:confused:

Hi Guys,

The UcConditioner prototype is working...................
............After pre-charging is done, UcConditioner will go and stay in conditioning state. You can hear the relay is turned on with a blue LED is lit to ensure. In conditioning state, only the ultra capacitors are applied to the output. All other circuits are shut down. So the conditioning would be with only pure ultra capacitors.

Ian the UcConditioner look very nice,but i would like to understand in detail that it is the difference between UcConditioner and hybrid power please.

Last edited:
Ian the UcConditioner look very nice,but i would like to understand in detail that it is the difference between UcConditioner and hybrid power please.

UcConditioner is for improving the quality of 5V linear or SMPS voltage rails. It would be mainly for the main 5V digital power supply of a RPi or other players.

Hybrid power is the combination of ultra capacitors and 3.3V LiefPO4 battery cell. Hybrid power would be great solution for FifoPi clean side (clock) and DAC.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Regards,
Ian

Thanks Marcus and Ian,
but for feed a clock and dac what is the best,a pure ultra capacitors power or a hybrid power,i guess the difference is minimal.
The UcConditioner can it be used for feed the IsolatorPi,it will be better than with the Reflektor i am currently using,or that makes no sense.

Thanks Marcus and Ian,
but for feed a clock and dac what is the best,a pure ultra capacitors power or a hybrid power,i guess the difference is minimal.
The UcConditioner can it be used for feed the IsolatorPi,it will be better than with the Reflektor i am currently using,or that makes no sense.

I have a Reflektor so I'll give a try. What the max current did you set up for your Rcflektor when it powers your RPi?

Ian