Recommendations for a quality 'Off the Shelf' SMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
to DJDORU
I came into this thread by accident and I read it.

Audiopower DPS-500/DA? hmmm, does inspire trust too much though. I gave a hope to them and I was about to order one for my project till I found one post on the forum where someone diysmps dismantled one power supply and Showed how was built. I find it as a "Coldamp reloaded" with contradictory informations and specks, flooding annoying advertisement and promotion made ​​by the very single guy who promote 'them (and probably produce them in china too) and lack of positive feedback from neutral or trust Able sources.

This is not "opinion" or "advice for customer".
This is defamation based on false. enough to report you to the authorities (AudioPower has filed a lawsuit today)...yes we have your name,location etc..also.

Regards

For the difference between smps for lamps, and smps for amplifier, I have the convenience that you remain in your ignorance.

Last edited:
In light of few meaningful inputs I'll create my own...

OK folks,

I'd like to keep this really neutral and objective, please refrain from flaming one another. I will engage moderation if things get ugly.

I have decided to go ahead and actually get some examples of a few different SMPSs to try and determine which seem best for linear amplifier application. All are or will be ordered as +/- 45V units configured for 120V mains and be 400W-500W units. So far I have the following:

Connex SMPS500R - Cristi has graciously arranged for a contact in the USA to assist with the warranty issue since tracked post directly back to him is cost prohibitive. I do not yet have a repair / replacement but I can hopefully get this resolved and give it a fair chance in the comparison.

ColdAmp SPS30

AudioPower DPS-400LV w/ PBTU-3 kit

I'd also like to get a Hypex SMPS400A180 but have not gone ahead and ordered one yet. Any others that should be given serious consideration?

My plan will be to just do some basic tests. I will use various resistive loadings to see how they respond, to check pulse response by changing loadings rapidly and also measure electrical noise. I'm looking to test at a few 'baseline' current draws that each should support continuously, I'm thinking 250mA, 1A and 4.5A from each rail for these measurements. Also doing a pulse test going from the 250mA to the 4.5A level and seeing the response. I'm also looking to measure noise / ripple levels at various loadings.

Anything else that should be evaluated? I'm not prepared to get into really advance testing, just the basics.

Looks like the SPS30 is out of the running. The unit quietly failed during some sine wave testing with the test amp (a VSSA front end driving a SlewMonster OPS) driving an 8Ω resistive load to the onset of clipping at 1kHz.

Very disappointing. This was the single most expensive unit I have bought and there has been no response from the company. The unit was electrically quite noisy and did make some physical noise too. There was a comment about ClodAmp not being good to deal with, but I stepped out on a limb to try one anyway. Net result is that, solely based upon my personal experiences, I can not endorse or recommend the ColdAmp SPS30 (or anything from ColdAmp for that matter).

So far the 'infant mortality' rate has been embarrassingly high. Many industries use SMPSs all over the place and they work just fine. So why is it so difficult to get a robust good quality product for the DIY'er? I'm still debating on getting a Hypex unit or not. I'm not sure I want to potentially continue throwing money down the drain.

I will say that AP2's DPS-400LV has stood up well so far. It is dead silent in operation and there isn't much electrical flotsam either. No formal measurements yet. It is a one horse race at the moment.

SMPS testing?

<snip>So far the 'infant mortality' rate has been embarrassingly high. Many industries use SMPSs all over the place and they work just fine. So why is it so difficult to get a robust good quality product for the DIY'er? I'm still debating on getting a Hypex unit or not. I'm not sure I want to potentially continue throwing money down the drain.

I will say that AP2's DPS-400LV has stood up well so far. It is dead silent in operation and there isn't much electrical flotsam either. No formal measurements yet. It is a one horse race at the moment.

. . . and? . . . any news? :Popworm:

Cheers

Igo51,

Nothing significant to report. The AudioPower DPS-400LV continues to do exactly what I paid my money for it to do. The ColdAmp SPS30 I was able to repair myself - without any response what so ever from ColdAmp - and am able to use it as a test supply. The Connex unit has not yet been repaired / replaced though it should now be with Cristi, and no further communication from him either.

Basically all around crappy customer service from most vendors and product to match, in my limited experience, excepting AudioPower. AP2 (Roberto) is an interesting fellow whose native tongue isn't english, but he gave me good communication when ordering what I wanted. I will say I have not bothered to get a Hypex yet, though they are supposedly a good vendor by the accounts of others.

Basically I'd suggest for most linear applications just plan on using a plain ol' linear supply. The expense and headache of the SMPS malarky isn't worth it. My issue is I kind of put myself in a corner by getting a couple of very compact chassis and ended up needing a compact supply and so my SMPS journey began. With just one unit that I'm happy with I have not bothered to actually try and measure its characteristics.

Igo51,

Nothing significant to report. The AudioPower DPS-400LV continues to do exactly what I paid my money for it to do. The ColdAmp SPS30 I was able to repair myself - without any response what so ever from ColdAmp - and am able to use it as a test supply. The Connex unit has not yet been repaired / replaced though it should now be with Cristi, and no further communication from him either.

Basically all around crappy customer service from most vendors and product to match, in my limited experience, excepting AudioPower. AP2 (Roberto) is an interesting fellow whose native tongue isn't english, but he gave me good communication when ordering what I wanted. I will say I have not bothered to get a Hypex yet, though they are supposedly a good vendor by the accounts of others.

Basically I'd suggest for most linear applications just plan on using a plain ol' linear supply. The expense and headache of the SMPS malarky isn't worth it. My issue is I kind of put myself in a corner by getting a couple of very compact chassis and ended up needing a compact supply and so my SMPS journey began. With just one unit that I'm happy with I have not bothered to actually try and measure its characteristics.

Would be great to hear your impression of the hypex smps offerings in comparison to your audiopower smps. Hypex seem to be strong value. I built two small hypex based amps with smps400A180 as power supply. They were dead silent with neither electrical nor mechanical noise. Haven't done any direct comparison to other smps or linear supplies so can't comment on how they affect the sound of the amp. Some claim that no difference can be heard between hypex smps and other adequate supplies while others claim to prefer good liears. Bruno from hypex claim their SMPS to measure and sound better than their linear offerings. I still need to do my own testing it seems....

The way I understand hypex smps princip is that they work like a switching amp that supplies the attached amps through a 2. order output filter. They keep a fixed ratio between the mains voltage and their output voltage which means that they are regulated by the feedback/modulation circuitry but don't have a fixed output voltage due to mains variations/not due to the amps' modulation of the rail voltage. (I'm not an smps expert so I might have gotten it wrong though...)

cheers,

Hi,

I used the Hypex SMPS400A180, because size constraints were on the spec list.
Useage is with a single or pair of generic class-AB amplifiers of app. 100W/180W audio power.
First, I hold the specced wattage numbers for very optimistic.
Judging from the sheer dimensions, I´d say that the SMPS is capable to supply for ~50W of constant power.
With the amps connected the supply lines show a -to me unusual- high level of modulation with the audio signal, already at low volume levels (we are not talking about a mV-range but rather a 10V-range).
If generic amps will be connected, they should have high PSRR.
The main output voltages are routed through just one pin/onewire.
The pin connectors and wires certainly don´t look 600W-peak power capable, but are sufficient for ´normal´ use.
Unfortunately one has to solder a Y-connection if one wants to supply two generic amplifiers (in that case cut the wires on connector J3 very short befor y-ing and asure that the amp modules have their own CD-blocking lytics onboard).
Pros of the SMPS are the DC-Error inputs that may also be used with generic amps and the SMPS-Standby functionality (You need a dc-voltage between 3.3V and 12V to activate Stanby mode)

Sonically the SMPS behaved very well, rather a bit better as with a conventional trafo supply, as Bass seemed slightly tighter ands better controlled. The high ripple didn´t put through.
Performance was free from noise or other artefacts.

There are cheaper SMPS in that power class around than the Hypex.
But so far I see no reason to change, as it performs well, stable and offers so small dimensions and protection and standby as well.

jauu
Calvin

Hi,

I used the Hypex SMPS400A180, because size constraints were on the spec list.
Useage is with a single or pair of generic class-AB amplifiers of app. 100W/180W audio power.
First, I hold the specced wattage numbers for very optimistic.
Judging from the sheer dimensions, I´d say that the SMPS is capable to supply for ~50W of constant power.
With the amps connected the supply lines show a -to me unusual- high level of modulation with the audio signal, already at low volume levels (we are not talking about a mV-range but rather a 10V-range).
If generic amps will be connected, they should have high PSRR.
The main output voltages are routed through just one pin/onewire.
The pin connectors and wires certainly don´t look 600W-peak power capable, but are sufficient for ´normal´ use.
Unfortunately one has to solder a Y-connection if one wants to supply two generic amplifiers (in that case cut the wires on connector J3 very short befor y-ing and asure that the amp modules have their own CD-blocking lytics onboard).
Pros of the SMPS are the DC-Error inputs that may also be used with generic amps and the SMPS-Standby functionality (You need a dc-voltage between 3.3V and 12V to activate Stanby mode)

Sonically the SMPS behaved very well, rather a bit better as with a conventional trafo supply, as Bass seemed slightly tighter ands better controlled. The high ripple didn´t put through.
Performance was free from noise or other artefacts.

There are cheaper SMPS in that power class around than the Hypex.
But so far I see no reason to change, as it performs well, stable and offers so small dimensions and protection and standby as well.

jauu
Calvin

I believe that Hypex makes a differentiation between music power and continuos power. The later being roughly one third of the former, so one shouldn't expect anything near 400W RMS their 400W supply.

I agree that it would seem more sensible with an extra set of connectors. I would also prefer almost anything but pin connectors from an DIY point of view. OEM might see this differently.

Sounds strange with the high level of modulation! Makes me wonder whether the idea actually is to use the caps on the amp board as the main power reservoirs. This might make sense of the modulation as the smps thereby is only intended to supply the on board caps symmetrically 100'000 times per second. The smps' o/p filter would then supposedly just attenuate and smooth these current flows enough to make them inaudible (in the same way as the o/p filter on class D amps)... -Disclaimer, I'm no SMPS expert so take this as pure speculation :)

cheers,

Igo51,

I see an increasing number of allegations around connexelectronic products and services and by coincidence or not, some of the users involved in this disputes have had connections with one competitor, Audiopower from Italy and these disputes started around the time when the SMPS competition for First One has started.

Now, let me update regarding this issue from this thread. The replacement SMPS was sent in June 2014 and received in July 2014. Although Jason confirmed over email that the new SMPS arrived and he was impressed, no update on the forum was seen since then. Even after another email sent in august 2014. The only reply which I got was in may 24 2015 after another email which I sent and asked about feedback one year later.

The claimed defective SMPS was sent to one potential business partner in USA at my request because was "too complicated and expensive to send to china" while sending to USA was $11.90 Nerveless I had to pay ~$60 to get that SMPS plus one more, of another forum member which didn't knew that there is a jumper to solder for 120V operation. As well as nearly half of the shipping back cost of the new unit to Jason.

picture 1. the parcel received from USA with Jason's SMPS and another one. see the shipping cost.
picture 2. the content of the parcel, the bottom box is the Jason's one.
picture 3. the SMPS as arrived. with the screws in the same position.

Bottom line: Although the issue was solved more than one year ago, no update was ever made, and everyone has thought that Jason was left alone...... Nothing unusual, this is the typical customer response after its problem is solved.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    756.8 KB · Views: 331
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 325
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    740.9 KB · Views: 336
First, let me say I opened this thread not for the purpose of defaming anyone, but rather to legitimately look for my alternatives...

I see an increasing number of allegations around connexelectronic products and services and by coincidence or not, some of the users involved in this disputes have had connections with one competitor, Audiopower from Italy and these disputes started around the time when the SMPS competition for First One has started.

Well, I have no affiliation with Lazy Cat's First One endeavour and it was only my own poking about that led me to Audio Power and former member here, AP2. My issues are not, nor ever were connected to the above mentioned endeavours, members or issues. I am also NOT going out of my way to be slanderous or untruthful. I posted my OPINIONS and EXPERIENCES.

Now, let me update regarding this issue from this thread. The replacement SMPS was sent in June 2014 and received in July 2014. Although Jason confirmed over email that the new SMPS arrived and he was impressed, no update on the forum was seen since then. Even after another email sent in august 2014. The only reply which I got was in may 24 2015 after another email which I sent and asked about feedback one year later.
So? You did, albeit slowly and in a convoluted sort of way, ultimately resolve the issue. It still was not an example of good customer service. As a former client, I don't recall having any obligation to sing praises for the mediocre.

The claimed defective SMPS was sent to one potential business partner in USA at my request because was "too complicated and expensive to send to china" while sending to USA was $11.90 Nerveless I had to pay ~$60 to get that SMPS plus one more, of another forum member which didn't knew that there is a jumper to solder for 120V operation. As well as nearly half of the shipping back cost of the new unit to Jason.
Somehow shipping from the Far East is ridiculously cheap, while in my region of the world postal and courier services are outrageous. That ~$100 purchase was going to cost almost $60 to return to China (with tracking as was requested). At that price point I was prepared to eat it as a total loss. An intermediary was in fact arranged, but that turned out to be a little iffy as neither Cristi or I could get any response from this 'potential business partner' at the time this was happening.

I am not concerned about someone's ignorance or not being able to follow directions. I had a unit not functioning properly or to my expectations. Period.

picture 1. the parcel received from USA with Jason's SMPS and another one. see the shipping cost.
picture 2. the content of the parcel, the bottom box is the Jason's one.
picture 3. the SMPS as arrived. with the screws in the same position.
1) Case in point, shipping from North America is heinously expensive. You can't equate that with what it costs to send from China to elsewhere.

2) OK, so you did ultimately get the SMPS in question. Where's the issue?

3) So? The screws were in the euroblock when it was packed. Obviously bouncing around the world loosened them. That wasn't the cause of the issue. Shall we revisit the spade connectors that were so poorly soldered that they came right off the board straight away?

Bottom line: Although the issue was solved more than one year ago, no update was ever made, and everyone has thought that Jason was left alone...... Nothing unusual, this is the typical customer response after its problem is solved.
If you want to be in business you have to accept, whether you like it or not, that a happy customer doesn't tell many other if any, but a dissatisfied one will make a hell of a racket.

Yes the SMPS works but has not been put to use as yet since I was able to replace it with other product TWICE in the time it took to actually resolve.

I'm not too pleased you posted personal communication, either. Moderation has been notified.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.