Yet another DIY AMT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Back to the usual, ideal solid pole pieces, view:
VKA48W5IOOX2qYQBlu9APBlFxYoSfKvzI4XuB9biBOs=s800

I've put in a ledge to which the membrane now easily can be attached to.
The ledge has an angle to get a initial throat exansion.
Also, the foam actually continues upwards, that is backwards in reality, between the back pole pieces.

Simulation:
tVmQVfrl4j93tm4jgSzblEqIjcUZJ1X8ZWY6xTNOAHk=s800

Flow density at the rim:
DWWxj7ton0ofYXen6tcHeJ0L6x8miQefVs87Qi7AqFc=s800
0J9fm6o-vpDqh2FpoqNfja1NEe8_gf-bhUZNOs0iBDc=s800

and in the middle:
PbCN6uD2VZ9Pjb7_5YBxzp-FbLMy2CZYbMALBmevnrQ=s800

Looking really good!

Well, back to the shop to cut 32 pieces of 15x2 mm iron rods 145 mm long and sand them in the middle where the edge meets the membrane.
And get some ledges mounted...

Thought for a while to also have the front pole pieces backs being slanted, but the first front wave reflection should go straight back; not being deflected and thus mixed with with the adjacent first front waves:
7jyplJSioLhG8N1CYizLnYeF2Rh32xXMn4_LejBMq4k=s800

Altough the simulations did show a 5 % increase in the magnetic flux density:
qNRPByjt80bWTg3CbL-QnUXxfkB6LhWCLvtk0LiWPPY=s800

it is no longer linear across the membranes area:
pvALqB7ORsKqtSwxFWIPaKXN9k-TJa2yabbg-bYj8HM=s800

So that suggestion just got documented and forgotten...

Added some material tags (foam, membrane) for the different areas in the inverted motor as well just for clarification. The simulation doesn't change.
y-Z3q3rLQPSnzKl8jm5Ro0Y_M2LENwLYdgtYGkSWfdE=s800

Coud you double the amount of 2mm steel bars to get more linariety.

Bernt

Yes, of course.
But then the reduction of the reflection of the back wave will be less.
Also, there´s still variations for the part of the membrane at the front pole pieces.

FEMM:
kJGcF2UmJfsvqxjFafb0Tw5uTtWF12kHl6gl3bHmgF8=s800

Flux density at back pole pieces:
UZxEl1W8lx1BKQVLoiy-tz6E6rCxXXxSG2yYoY4hXms=s800

KU3jbwDLYvbN0708jljanVMQx7Vntd07gw8Vjh2Vw7w=s800

Flux density at front pole pieces:
2fLFwsTv4No0ibCWlMorRs2Z9r18BbmQl30dnk7CzkU=s800

WaROZb2mau5pRiErp58PC_I2BsZeU6mcZ9GIOHg20Pc=s800

Anyway, since the motor now is "open" at the back and the back pole pieces are only held in place by the magnets, everything is up for grabs when it comes to back pole pieces configuration.

During simulation and design, you could neglect the 2nd harmonic and focus mor on the odd ones. The ear itself generates up to 10% 2nd harmonic so you cant really hear difference between 1% or 2% 2nd harmonic distortion.
So if it helps you with the design of magnet motor, focus less on the second and more on the third.
When it comes to the sharpening of the pole piece try something "lagom" and not so extremely sharp.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AKE/IttcvYjGXkk/s462-Ic42/polstyckeprofil.jpg

During simulation and design, you could neglect the 2nd harmonic and focus mor on the odd ones. The ear itself generates up to 10% 2nd harmonic so you cant really hear difference between 1% or 2% 2nd harmonic distortion.
So if it helps you with the design of magnet motor, focus less on the second and more on the third.
Yes, of course.

When it comes to the sharpening of the pole piece try something "lagom" and not so extremely sharp.

polstyckeprofil.jpg
If the bottom is towards the membrane, that bevel is feasible and will probably be what I'll do. It will be much harder to accomplish slant at the top.

http://projekter.aau.dk/projekter/files/9852082/07gr1061_Thesis.pdf

Look on page 18...
Several studies has shown that 2nd harmonic is not critical.

I can give an example tried myself.
Using Dipole bass with double transducers on each channel, the first clever thought would be to mount them at opposite directions to cancel distortion right? Well it´s "only" the secon harmonic that is cancelled, higher orders is uneffected. The percieved sound is way better if both transducers is working in same direction. The 2nd harmonic seems to have a masking effect on those with higher order.

I live more "värst" than you in "värsta Götaland" btw

http://projekter.aau.dk/projekter/files/9852082/07gr1061_Thesis.pdf

Look on page 18...
Several studies has shown that 2nd harmonic is not critical.
Yes, of course. You are preaching to the choir :worship:.

I can give an example tried myself.
Using Dipole bass with double transducers on each channel, the first clever thought would be to mount them at opposite directions to cancel distortion right? Well it´s "only" the secon harmonic that is cancelled, higher orders is uneffected. The percieved sound is way better if both transducers is working in same direction. The 2nd harmonic seems to have a masking effect on those with higher order.
Been there myself:
eY14ic-F_cWiM5fOvea2K1ppiMENNMpiES1XM8WFavQ=s800

I live more "värst" than you in "värsta Götaland" btw
If you have almost the same nick at a Swedish forum, I think that we had a chat some years ago at a DIY meeting in Göteborg.
In fact, I think that you (and Bernt) convinced me to abandon the setup above.

Any comment on my last post:
"If the bottom is towards the membrane, that bevel is feasible and will probably be what I'll do. It will be much harder to accomplish slant at the top."

Measurements

I wasn't pleased with the frequency response at 1 m, so I thought that I make near-field measurements instead; at 20 cm.

Still not happy with the frequency response though, way too much variation in level.
Although I suspect that the Q&D waveguide has something to do with the level variations in the lower end.
Funny thing is that with foam or without foam, the response look more or less the same (green is with foam):
eRAkcNjHIsNfkEeF8PMIv3icFseoDz9eDl96x3BzOLjl=s800

2nd and 3rd harmonic distortions:
JZHI9KN8R-fbStSTFjBlIcu4EjTp4q5MRqzRPZT2YW4g=s800

8kypGffMpkRRig0Jk8LuxxbI_nKbGwFwk2PMeoksy31O=s800

I'd say that those 3rd HD distortion levels are pretty low, or what do you say esl 63?

All the above are shown with 1/3 octave smoothing.

But at 1/24 octave smoothing (red curve) it looks more or less the same:
wd12fbDbCevsK6BiefyFj2h0eb5lMRyz5OHTmJrJ_4DJ=s800

Next step will be to get rid of the foam and thus get the membrane exactly in the middle of the gap.
And perhaps test an even sharper bevel on the back pole pieces.
And of course get a S&C waveguide. (Slow and Clean??)

Made the back pole pieces a little sharper but also changed the membrane design; now the two contact stripes are at the same side. Positioned the membrane in the middle of the gap.
Also made a slightly better wave guide and had the HVAC foam between the back pole pieces.

Measured at 50 cm (green) and 1 m (red), 1/12 octave smoothing,
2nd HD:
GsoYBr0EfZYPmnskk2VPzLmPX1bs9JQmBAG6wdzhRdNM=w1592-h949-no

3rd HD:
Q4xqg3LW25GPQAWmMMk-76AYLQNiYF0qJ2BEdaFkTdoo=w1592-h948-no

So if a properly designed wave guide will make the low end response a little more even (distortion is from the room in the LF BTW) there's only one PEQ at 4800 Hz -6 dB to do.

I mean, the distortion levels are so low now, especially the 3 rd HD, that any try to mitigate a peak most likely will result in that other peaks will emerge.

Of course, I'll be more than glad to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Little change in the frequency response and even higher distortion levels with the pieces of plastics (red):

JKooG8fSpJ420Xkxa1VqfAyN5v5eUrZ2wWVa50un9gV0=w1592-h949-no

4UTo-UfVOgXxEcMj3OAF_wXNfdekkoxNAP0Agli3hgaR=w1704-h1137-no

So I'd say that I'm better off without them. Not sure about the foam between the back pole pieces though (green with foam and blue without foam), but it will be fairly easy to continue experiment with different thickness and so on later.
For sure, I must have some dampening between the back of the AMT and the pole the woofers are mounted in.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.