Go Back   Home > Forums > >

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2021, 03:41 AM   #2351
emailtim is offline emailtim  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikEnquist View Post
The current Fedora version uses Pipewire instead of Pulse. That's actually running on the machine I'm typing this on, works just fine. I don't know of any other distro that has made the switch (but I also haven't looked).
HenrikEnquist,

Does Pipewire and/or Kernel 5.14 with the lower latency USB drivers offer any noticeable improvements ?

I am running Debian 11 and optimistically awaiting 5.14 to appear in buster-backports.

Thanks much.
Old 26th September 2021, 03:06 PM   #2352
HenrikEnquist is offline HenrikEnquist  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Kernel 5.14 brings major improvements to the USB gadget mode, which is great if you use that. I don't know anything about the lower latency USB drivers.
Pipewire seems to use less CPU than Pulse. But I have mostly used it for normal desktop use, not really any music listening (only to check that it can be used with camilladsp). Most normal users probably don't notice anything different with pipewire.
Old 26th September 2021, 05:12 PM   #2353
lykkedk is offline lykkedk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi here... (piCorePlayer / piCore only)

I really like the Gui, and i find it fun to "play" with actually.
Then for a long time i really wanted to make a real in ram .tcz solution for installing it, instead of cluttering the sitepackages up with pip3 install, i created 17 .tcz with the dependicies for the camillagui + freind's

I know it's a bit offtopic so please take a look at my github here:
GitHub - Lykkedk/SuperPlayer-v8.0.0--CamillaGUI-v0.6.0: SuperPlayer-CamillaGUI .tcz extensions the right way of doing it

Jesper.
Old 26th September 2021, 09:14 PM   #2354
diyAudio Member

Rust just got experimental support for many more Neon instructions. That's exactly the stuff needed for adding Neon support to RustFFT! So I have done that, basically by translating the SSE code. It will take a little time before this is ready to be included in a RustFFT release, mostly because of the early state of the Rust Neon support. Even the current nightly release of the compiler is too old to build this!

The first results were a bit discouraging. It turns out that the Neon unit on the Cortex A72 of the RPi4 is quite slow. It only helps for 32-bit floats, while 64-bit runs at the same speed as without Neon. Here is a comparison for power-of-2 lengths:
neon_p2comp.png

Switching to a more powerful CPU makes things look much better. This is the same benchmark from a Neoverse N1 on an Amazon EC2 virtual machine (similar to a Cortex A76):
rustfft_comp_aws.png

Once the standard nightly compiler can be used, it would be great to run the benchmark on an Apple M1 too. Could someone here help out with that? The whole process only takes 15 minutes or so.
Old 27th September 2021, 08:02 AM   #2355
johnanon is offline johnanon
diyAudio Member

Default Variable log file name in camilladsp.service daemon

Hi

As a command line instruction I can successfully run
Code:
/usr/local/bin/camilladsp -a0.0.0.0 -p5000 -g-30 --logfile "/usr/local/etc/camilladsp/log$(date +"%FT%H%M").txt" -ldebug /usr/local/etc/camilladsp/config2x192.yml
But if I put this instuction in camilladsp.service
Code:
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/camilladsp -a0.0.0.0 -p5000 -g-30 --logfile "/usr/local/etc/camilladsp/log$(date +"%FT%H%M").txt" -ldebug /usr/local/etc/camilladsp/config2x192.yml
I get the following error
Code:
/etc/systemd/system/camilladsp.service:9: Failed to resolve unit specifiers in /usr/local/etc/camilladsp/log$(date +%FT%H%M).txt:
Is there a way to do this?

I'm trying to use $date to create a unique filename for the log file, but any other variable labelling would be fine.

BTW I want to do this because I'm finding that camilladsp.service keeps stopping and restarting for reasons which are not yet apparent to me, so I want to look at the logfile from the previous session ... but of course it will have been overwritten.

Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 10:56 AM   #2356
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanon View Post
BTW I want to do this because I'm finding that camilladsp.service keeps stopping and restarting for reasons which are not yet apparent to me, so I want to look at the logfile from the previous session ... but of course it will have been overwritten.

Thanks
I've been running CamillaDSP from the command line this morning with the time reference in the log file name , and after a couple of hours it just crashed with this error message captured in the logfile:
Code:
Sep 27 10:47:01.755 WARN Capture failed, error: ALSA function 'snd_pcm_readi' failed with error 'EPIPE: Broken pipe', module: camillalib::alsadevice
Sep 27 10:47:01.759 ERRO Capture error: ALSA function 'snd_pcm_readi' failed with error 'EPIPE: Broken pipe', module: camilladsp
Sep 27 10:47:01.760 DEBG Wait for playback thread to exit.., module: camilladsp
Sep 27 10:47:01.977 DEBG Restarting with new config, module: camilladsp
Sep 27 10:47:01.977 DEBG Wait for config, module: camilladsp
Sep 27 10:47:01.978 DEBG No config and not in wait mode, exiting!, module: camilladsp
The playback chain is Roon > RAAT > RoonBridge on RPi4 > ALSA loopback > CamillaDSP. Help much appreciated.
Old 27th September 2021, 12:21 PM   #2357
diyAudio Member

Try increasing the chunksize!
You can also experiment with the "retry_on_error" setting on the capture device.
Old 27th September 2021, 12:26 PM   #2358
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Or perhaps not enabled rate adjust for the loopback device?
Old 27th September 2021, 03:08 PM   #2359
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikEnquist View Post
Try increasing the chunksize!
You can also experiment with the "retry_on_error" setting on the capture device.
Thanks. I'm starting with the chunksize going from 4096 to 8192 for 192kHz sample rate. Will try the other options if I need to.

Might this be worth putting in the Troubleshooting section of your excellent documentation?
Old 27th September 2021, 03:46 PM   #2360
y8s is offline y8s  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to y8s Send a message via MSN to y8s Send a message via Yahoo to y8s
Henrik, I finally got a chance to fire up the full Camilla experience with my new speaker build. You may recall I struggled toget Camilla working on a Pi Zero only to discover it's simply not powerful enough.

Right now it's only running 4th order L-R high and lowpass without any other filtering and my best guess at relative gain values. I hope to get to some measurement and fine tuning this week.

Even without any adjustment, the sound is super clean. You wouldn't know there's a raspberry pi and some cheap USB dongles involved...

specs (after many years of storage):
  • Peerless OT19NC00 ring radiator without faceplate
  • Dayton Audio H45E 4.5" x 4.5" Elliptical Waveguide
  • Adire Audio Extremis 6.8 midwoofer
  • 0.62 cu ft box tuned to 36.6 Hz (on-paper F3 of 39Hz)
The design goal is to find a crossover point that balances the distortion of both drivers using a combination of the waveguide and steep crossover slopes. We will see.

Mind the dust:

The whole test setup system:
Click the image to open in full size.

The Pi 3 B+ with 3 USB sound dongles:

The venerable Sherwood RD-6108 which can act as a 6 channel direct pass through amplifier (and is perfect for Camilla DSP):

CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.Hide this!Advertise here!