Go Back   Home > Forums > >

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux
Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2021, 10:00 PM   #931
katariat is offline katariat  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Jürgen

do agree on going step by step while debugging. Wanted to start with first principle thinking and get the basics right. Some good news - i was able to get the xover rack to work with my creative 5.1 sound card. It works when i play the music file from the sbc, i just used some media player that was natively available.

not so good news, after i installed the shairpoint-sync...and do air play into the sbc, i can get sound from the headphone socket like before but not from the mutichannel ports of the sound card. So i know the issue is just with the sharipoint-sync and or its settings.

the distro i am using is Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic LXDE Desktop. Link below
ROCK64 Software Release - PINE64

i started doing some research on the shairpoint-sync; by default it is compiled with alsa as it engine. I thought, may be if i can compile it with pulse-audio then may be it may work. So i removed all the old files per the instruction, and re-compiled shairpoint-sync with pulse-audio. Unfortunately the same results. The xover rack works just fine when i play natively from the SBC but when i air-play into the SBC through shair-point thing break

there is some documentation on the shair-point....it has multiple configuration options. Unfortunately this is where my already very limited knowledge/ understanding goes for a toss. As always any help would be greatly appreciated. Happy to share/ provide any diagnostics or output if needed.

GitHub - mikebrady/shairport-sync: AirPlay audio player. Shairport Sync adds multi-room capability with Audio Synchronisation

my original compilation of shairpoint-sync
Code:
./configure --with-alsa --with-avahi --with-ssl=openssl --with-systemd --with-metadata
my revised compilation of shairpoint-sync
Code:
./configure --with-pa --with-avahi --with-ssl=openssl --with-systemd --with-metadata
Old 11th April 2021, 10:09 PM   #932
Tfive is offline Tfive  Germany
diyAudio Member

The --with-systemd option makes me suspicious. Does shairpoint-sync run as a service?

If so I'd suggest to stop that service and to try to run it as the same user that you login to your desktop with.
Old 15th April 2021, 04:30 PM   #933
diyAudio Member

Hi Jürgen

your hunch was correct. With some additional help i was able to figure out that shairport-sync was running as a super user vs the the account that i was using for the pulseaudio crossover rack.

When i started shairport-sync with the user credentials ...things started to work as intended.

I did hit another roadblock .. the distro wouldn't recognize the WIFI adaptor when all the other distros that i have used have had no issues with it. The issues with the other distros was that i could never get the entire thing to work as designed...so it was almost going back to the drawing board once again

This time i started with dietpi as the distro and i was able to replicate the overall design....load shairport-sync, configure Pulseaudio crossover rack etc.

The story wont end if there were no issues though....in the current setup ie dietpi distro, i hear cracking sound when i use pulseaudio crossover rack. This happens irrespective of whether i play a file natively on the SBC or airplay through wifi into the SBC. There is no such crackling sound when i take off the Pulseaudio crossover rack.

What could be the issue and any suggestions to take care off it. Thanks

Last edited by katariat; 15th April 2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 16th April 2021, 08:10 AM   #934
diyAudio Member

I recommend to RTFM

Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - Online Help

EDIT: what's the soundcard you use?
Old 16th April 2021, 01:23 PM   #935
diyAudio Member

my sound card is creative sound blaster x-fi surround 5.1
Old 16th April 2021, 01:26 PM   #936
phofman is online now phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

katariat: FYI CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
Old 16th April 2021, 01:30 PM   #937
diyAudio Member

@phofman....i am happy to experiment and share USB packets dump if that's what you are referring to.
Old 16th April 2021, 01:33 PM   #938
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katariat View Post
my sound card is creative sound blaster x-fi surround 5.1
This is a USB card AFICT. Might try this also:
Old 7th May 2021, 09:03 AM   #939
phofman is online now phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katariat View Post
@phofman....i am happy to experiment and share USB packets dump if that's what you are referring to.
Please can you take a look if the same URB_FUNCTION_ABORT_PIPE request is sent in windows dump like in X-Fi USB HD - switching from USB1.1 to USB2? ? You may have a different EP IN ID (5.1 maybe different from the stereo HD). Thanks.
  Reply to this post

Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linuxHide this!Advertise here!