Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I think @kaspersone is referring the feature in moOde's Airplay (shairport-sync) implementation that can resume MPD playback when the Airplay session stops. This is controlled by aa setting in Airplay config screen.

The MPD resume feature is made possible by a session start/stop event API thats unique to shairport-sync. AFAIK none of the other audio renderers including SpotifyConnect, Bluetooth, Squeezelite and UPnP have such an API.

-Tim

@TimCurtis, Thank you for the clarification, that do indeed explain why. So basically its possible, but need alot of extra coding. Which I unfortunately dont know anything about.

@Jonners, I dont have a problem, what I use works, I was just referring to a feature I thought was in the MPD, but as Tim explained it was in shairport-sync. And SpotifyConnect is superior to airplay!

Hello Ronnie,
Thanks for your attention,
I have tryed many combinations. Without success. I like Moode, looks more proffesional in details than Volumio. But in my particular case - doesnt work. You know, funny is that it is fresh instalation of Moodeaudio, and fresh install of QTS. As I mentioned before issue occures only on Moode . In Volumio -
NAS is mounting automatically , all u need is the only 3 clicks and fill in user and pass. Works great. Perhaps - the cause is in my router - which don't like Moode ;-) . I must check it out. br . Zefiryn

Hi Tim , all.
I built Moode 4 using the automated scripts.
It worked great and it took about an hour on my Pi3.
Thanks.
Should I want to make a backup image on SD, is the 3Gb size the one to be used ? Same as the "SD Card procedures (Mac OSX)" indicated in "build_recipe_v2.3.txt" ?

Code:
diskutil list
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk3
sudo dd if=/dev/disk3 of=/Users/Lt1user/Documents/moode.img count=6238208 bs=512
diskutil eject /dev/disk3

I may be missing something obvious but here goes. I want to play through a Bluetooth speaker sometimes so I went to configure audio and in the Renderers section set Bluetooth to on and then in configure Bluetooth scanned, found my speaker, paired and connected to it.

How do I now play through it and not my Boss dac?

I may be missing something obvious but here goes. I want to play through a Bluetooth speaker sometimes so I went to configure audio and in the Renderers section set Bluetooth to on and then in configure Bluetooth scanned, found my speaker, paired and connected to it.

How do I now play through it and not my Boss dac?

Configure>SEL (bottom right near the Close button) and then select Bluetooth as MPD Audio output.

Hi Tim , all.
I built Moode 4 using the automated scripts.
It worked great and it took about an hour on my Pi3.
Thanks.
Should I want to make a backup image on SD, is the 3Gb size the one to be used ? Same as the "SD Card procedures (Mac OSX)" indicated in "build_recipe_v2.3.txt" ?

Code:
diskutil list
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk3
sudo dd if=/dev/disk3 of=/Users/Lt1user/Documents/moode.img count=6238208 bs=512
diskutil eject /dev/disk3

Hi,

That procedure is what I personally use on my Mac Air and it assumes the image was originally built using the "second SDCard" method and not the "Direct" method. The "second SDCard" method resizes the root partition to 3GB. The "Direct" method uses fresh Stretch Lite which by default auto-resizes the root partition to the max size of the SDCard.

WARNING: you have to pay attention to what the command "diskutil list" reports so you can correctly identify which /dev device the SDCard is assigned to.

In my case its typically /dev/disk3

-Tim

A potential Wiki entry:

Finding your Moode player when you can’t use bonjour or mDNS is made easier by adding a dhcp reservation to your router.

First find the MAC address of your Pi - System info will give you this, do it before you join your home wifi. (In my example, B8:27:EB:05:4B:C0)

Copy the relevant MAC address (wifi or Ethernet) and open the admin panel of your router and navigate to the section dealing with DHCP - each router is different, but all will allow you to add a DHCP reservation.

The idea being that no matter what OS you have on your device, the MAC address doesn’t change, so you can reserve an address that you remember and whenever your device queries the dhcp server for an address, it will always get the same one and another device won’t be given that address.

Then, on your Android or Linux or Windows device where mDNS isn’t implemented or available, you can make a permanent bookmark or similar and be assured that even if you change your installation of Moode, or to a different OS, the IP address will always be the same. Any changes to your gateway, mask, etc. will change, but your IP will always be the same.

I always put reserved addresses into the same group of addresses and outside of my dhcp scope (10-29 in my case, where dhcp is from 50-150), But you don’t have to be systematic about it.

This procedure is the same for any network-attached device, not just Moode. For example, I use it for all my IoT devices as adding bonjour/avahi support takes away desperately needed bytes for program storage on tiny microprocessor devices. Being a complete geek, I have a code which identifies the device in my parts bin, so I can look it up before I build and change the table to reflect the current device.

Attachments

• AA65A05D-48B9-4AF2-97D0-5E8A3B0293AD.jpeg
    AA65A05D-48B9-4AF2-97D0-5E8A3B0293AD.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 430
  • E645BD59-79A6-4B30-9F17-B615A5986847.jpeg
    E645BD59-79A6-4B30-9F17-B615A5986847.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 430
  • 9DCFE479-D9FE-42F9-90EB-653C184868EA.jpeg
    9DCFE479-D9FE-42F9-90EB-653C184868EA.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
hi there,
happy as a baby with a candy with moode and the latest build & installation procedure.
Amazing work thank you very much !!!
Little question: is there a way to interact with my Moode+Spotify with Google Home Mini to launch music, playlists, skip tracks, etc?
knwoing that i'm using it only via squeelelite module & logitech media server

Jayce, I regularly program ESPs and would normally be on this like a robber’s dog, but am in the process of moving house and town, followed two days later by an overseas trip, so right now is the worst time ever for me to have a look, but if you are interested and can wait, I would be inter3ted in having a look after the end of Feb.

I don’t have Google Home hardware as such, but have Apple Home and did a similar thing to add Siri functionality to a bunch of stuff and it was remarkably straightforward. I do have a bunch of android gear and a couple of Chromecast hanging about, as well as google Home loaded on my Apple gear to talk to the chromecast.

If they sell Google Home at the airport, I will buy one.

Hi Mike,

Can u explain what your post is referring to?

-Tim

Adding software DSP to the Pi. Specifically a question was asked as to how it could be fitted ‘under’ Volumio, so I thought the answer would be applicable to Moode as well.

I don’t think it will be a short project, but if you’re interested in adding such functionality I will start to look into it after I get back from Korea.

FWIW I lasted almost three weeks with the latest version of Volumio. Can’t speak to the SQ (40 years of high-powered motorcycles and wind noise have dulled my edge) but the interface kludge drove me batty.

I (stupidly) packed all my spare SD cards and accessories and moved them to the new house last week and can’t upgrade to the new build, so I’m wasting my time reading :)

Tim, is there a command to clear MoOde i2s ??
I tried the audiophonics ES9018 i2s setting for my DiyinHK Es9018 and it has locked me out of the MoOde interface.

I can select configure and the popup configure window appears but nothing opens when clicked...all I get is a 'waiting for MoOde' message lower left.
If I ssh in I can shutdown or reboot but watching the MoOde page at the same time I see it blank to white and a '502 nginx/1.10.3 bad gateway' message.

Top from ssh shows nothing odd. Pi3 Moode4

Sounds like this post but ssh working...Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Last edited:
Got it ! Nasty little Bluetooth glitch....

I had experimented with a bluetooth speaker but then turned all bluetooth settings off and gone back to Dac playback.

All fine until I tried to configure i2s driver and then the UI became unresponsive....only an ssh shutdown and restart worked and then I got one more shot at reconfiguring something before UI became unresponsive.

Turned out that Bluetooth speaker was still 'on' in renderers and when I finally found it....after umptygazillion reboots...and turned it off all was good again.

A reboot and UI is working...config working... playback working...:)

Morias' fix also works for me, thanks Morias! I modified mosbuild_worker.sh to skip the rpi-update in the build and all works ok now :cheerful:

From what I read, as long as we do apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade, we are safe: software comes from the repository, where everything is tested together. rpi-update is more aggressive. The tool itself warns that it can cause problems with drivers, which is most probably what was happening in our case.

From raspberry.org:
Updating the kernel - Raspberry Pi Documentation
The kernel and the firmware are included in the distribution as packages too, rpi-update overwrites them. So, if an updated kernel or firmware makes it to the distribution, apt-get upgrade will eventually upgrade them, without the need for rpi-update. I tried to reinstall the kernel and bootloader packages again, and that fixed the problem as well. Instructions can be found in the same page.

Are there any good reasons for the rpi-update? If not, I would leave it out. Or at least leave the option in the build script.

Yes, kernel security fixes.

Phil

Jayce, I regularly program ESPs and would normally be on this like a robber’s dog, but am in the process of moving house and town, followed two days later by an overseas trip, so right now is the worst time ever for me to have a look, but if you are interested and can wait, I would be inter3ted in having a look after the end of Feb.

I don’t have Google Home hardware as such, but have Apple Home and did a similar thing to add Siri functionality to a bunch of stuff and it was remarkably straightforward. I do have a bunch of android gear and a couple of Chromecast hanging about, as well as google Home loaded on my Apple gear to talk to the chromecast.

If they sell Google Home at the airport, I will buy one.

Hello Zootalaws, much appreciated!
With the help of IFTTT i think we can find something

Making backup image

Hi,

That procedure is what I personally use on my Mac Air and it assumes the image was originally built using the "second SDCard" method and not the "Direct" method. The "second SDCard" method resizes the root partition to 3GB. The "Direct" method uses fresh Stretch Lite which by default auto-resizes the root partition to the max size of the SDCard.

WARNING: you have to pay attention to what the command "diskutil list" reports so you can correctly identify which /dev device the SDCard is assigned to.

In my case its typically /dev/disk3

-Tim

I use the "Direct" method on a MacBook Pro. So far I have been able to write the image file to the documents folder. But after many tries of trying to write image to SDcard I have abandoned that idea. I tried Etcher as well as the instructions in recipe 2.3. When I plop the SDcard in the Pi3 it never boots. In fact the Pi3 doesn't show up in the router software even when connected via ethernet. s is a mystery to me as I am able to make a bootable moode4.12.img file. Just don't remember if I used Koda or Heboo install routine.
My solution is just to use the "direct" method on multiple SDcards as the backup. No I don't own SanDisk stock but I am looking into it.