Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Dave,

If you are using an external volume control then set MPD volume control to "disabled". This yields 0dB audio output.

The "disabled" setting causes the following to happen internally.

1) MPD outputs 100% volume level (0dB)
2) Hardware volume (ALSA) is set to 100% (0dB)

Also, open the Customize screen and look under Chip options to verify that Analog volume and Analog playback boost settings are both at 0dB.

If all the above are configured, and providing none of the DSP settings including Resampling, Volume normalization, Replaygain or Crossfeed are enabled, you will end up with "bit-perfect" output to your audio system.

-Tim

Just sent a small donation Tim. Thanks again man!

WiFi Issues with RBP3b and HiFIBerry DAC+ Pro

Hello All,

First time poster.

I've been running a Pi3b/HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro for a couple of months via the Pi3b's integrated WiFi and it has mostly worked just fine. It is in a C4 Labs Zebra Tall Acrylic Case. Left it playing for a week while on vacation and it was still playing Radio Paradise when I got home. Decided to try USB Output to my external DAC and had to do a reset of the OS due to the configuration changes. Since that time I've been unable to get the integrated WiFi to work. It will work if I sit it immediately next to my wireless router, but won't work in my man cave where it has resided for the last 2 months.

In order to test it, I ordered a new Pi3b and did not install the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro on it. I'm connecting it to my DAC via USB. Everything seems to be working just fine on the new Pi3b.

Looks like the Integrated WiFi on my original Pi3b has degraded. I've seen some mention of wifi problems with the Pi3b. Is this common? Can I get an external USB wifi dongle and configure it instead of the integrated wifi? If so, which ones are recommended? I see these on Amazon Prime:

Raspberry Pi WIFI Adapter / Dongle - The Pi Hut

https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi...009FA2UYK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

Official Raspberry Pi WiFi dongle

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Raspberry-Pi-WiFi-dongle/dp/B014HTNO52

Anyone ever used these? How do they perform? Any preference between the two?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ReallyBigAir

Hello All,

First time poster.

I've been running a Pi3b/HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro for a couple of months via the Pi3b's integrated WiFi and it has mostly worked just fine. It is in a C4 Labs Zebra Tall Acrylic Case. Left it playing for a week while on vacation and it was still playing Radio Paradise when I got home. Decided to try USB Output to my external DAC and had to do a reset of the OS due to the configuration changes. Since that time I've been unable to get the integrated WiFi to work. It will work if I sit it immediately next to my wireless router, but won't work in my man cave where it has resided for the last 2 months.

In order to test it, I ordered a new Pi3b and did not install the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro on it. I'm connecting it to my DAC via USB. Everything seems to be working just fine on the new Pi3b.

Looks like the Integrated WiFi on my original Pi3b has degraded. I've seen some mention of wifi problems with the Pi3b. Is this common? Can I get an external USB wifi dongle and configure it instead of the integrated wifi? If so, which ones are recommended? I see these on Amazon Prime:

https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi...009FA2UYK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

ReallyBigAir

Hi,

It's a hardware issue with Hifiberry DAC+ Pro. The oscillators emit RF that interferes with Wifi signal.

Reference Git issue #1588.
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/1588

Contact Hifiberry for support.

-Tim

Hello All,

First time poster.

ReallyBigAir

They have redesigned it, now, I believe: https://www.hifiberry.com/my-account/request-warranty/

Last edited:
Hi Rob,

The figure before wasn't the volume, it was the alsa gain setting. For IQ Audio, use 100%.

For best sq, you can turn volume off entirely and control the volume with your amp, but you lose one of the great features of Moode in being able to control volume wirelessly.

I'm not a purist, I like Moode for its player abilities, the fact that coupled with an IQ Audio DAC you get a fine sound is a bonus :)

Last edited:
Hi Rob,

The figure before wasn't the volume, it was the alsa gain setting. For IQ Audio, use 100%.

For best sq, you can turn volume off entirely and control the volume with your amp, but you lose one of the great features of Moode in being able to control volume wirelessly.

I'm not a purist, I like Moode for its player abilities, the fact that coupled with an IQ Audio DAC you get a fine sound is a bonus :)

Is that set under "Audio Configuration, Alsa Volume (%)"?
Or do I set it via the SSH? If so, what command?

Neat. There is a learning curve for sure, but it's not too terribly steep. Hang in there and you'll get it.

Bob

Thanks for the encouragement,

Sadly I cant get there using the Pi /MoOde It was suggested by the forum that by connecting the PC directly to the HDMI monitor, it would let me see the MoOde UI on the PC and hear the audio from the MoOde / Pi at the same time. This did in fact work perfectly and with fantastic results. The problems came when I needed to use the PC for other jobs, like playing movies and TV as I had to change the HDMI lead back to the AVR to get HQ audio. HDMI sockets are not made well enough to withstand regular swapping! Seems I must set up another pair of speakers and output to a second Zone on the AVR through these two speakers for the MoOde audio, and watch the PC UI on the Main Zone. All not what I was hoping for. May as well just have the PC alone. (sad face)

Is that set under "Audio Configuration, Alsa Volume (%)"?
Or do I set it via the SSH? If so, what command?

Hi,

Its not necessary to set ALSA volume. The Hifiberry clipping issue referred to in the link is old and was fixed long time ago.

For audio devices that have hardware volume controllers the following configurations are automatically set by Moode when setting MPD volume control.

Software
- MPD volume is set to 0 initially
- ALSA volume is set to 0dB (100) and should be left at that value
- MPD uses its software volume algorithm to set volume level

Hardware
- ALSA volume set to 0
- MPD volume controls ALSA volume directly using logarithmic curve

Disabled
- MPD volume is set to 0dB (100) internally
- Moode volume knob set to 0 and disabled

-Tim

Hi,

Its not necessary to set ALSA volume. The Hifiberry clipping issue referred to in the link is old and was fixed long time ago.

For audio devices that have hardware volume controllers the following configurations are automatically set by Moode when setting MPD volume control.

Software
- MPD uses its software volume algorithm to set volume level

Hardware
- ALSA volume set to 0
- MPD volume controls ALSA volume directly using logarithmic curve

Disabled
- MPD volume is set to 0dB (100) internally
- Moode volume knob set to 0 and disabled

-Tim

So as I understand it, I don't need to do anything more, given that under MPD Configuration, I have set Volume Control to "Hardware" for the IQaudio Pi-Dac Pro.
Whilst I want the best sound, I don't want to give up the convenience of the volume control in Moode.
Many thanks Tim for this great software - great sound and a good interface. I look forward to the next version being released.

Regards,
Rob

Some questions

Hello,

First of all, thanks Tim for Moode. I did have some initial trouble indexing the collection, but since then it has worked well enough for me to consider upgrading my hardware.

I'm new here and have been lurking on the forums for the past few months. I'm not an audiophile from any perspective.

My setup:
Moode 3.1 on a PiZero fetching music from a WD NAS over samba.
It is connected over HDMI to a Denon AVR-1913 which is then connected to some decent speakers and a TV
No DAC yet
Music is mix of 128 - 320kbps MP3s
Moode is controlled using the built-in chrome webapp on android

Questions:
What is the recommended (and affordable) DAC for a PiZero? I've read good things about the Pi-DACZero from IQAudio.
Does anyone use this from piZeroAudio https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MDW602K and how does it possibly compare with the IQAudio Pi-DACZero.

While the chrome webapp works well enough, I do miss having lock-screen controls (basic pause/start, next, previous). Any chance this can be added in a future release?

While I clearly understand that Moode is meant to be headless, I would love to see AlbumArt on my TV (which is already connected via the AVR on HDMI). Is this possible without significant efforts?

Thanks again,
Dhawal

restricted guest access

Hi there!

First of all, thank you for this great peace of software. I am using moodeaudio now for two years at home.

Now I want to do something, more special and I need some help:
I have a private workshop here which is also used by some of my friends.
I installed moodeaudio here, too - giving access bay the acces point feature and have a ethernet connection to my private lan.

Works quite nice so far: music can be streamed from my private NAS and access to moode by AP is limited to that.

But one problem exists:
Everybody who can access the AP can edit all moode settings or edit/delete my shares or radio stations.

Is it possible to restrict these settings? Or can I edit some config files so that these settings aren't shown anymore?

And a second wish:
The access is not very easy:
Everybode who wants to use my music system must connect to the AP and then enter the moode.local URL.

would it be possible to add this address similar to the landing pages which are common in hotel WLANs?

Thank you,
Vogi

Hello,

First of all, thanks Tim for Moode. I did have some initial trouble indexing the collection, but since then it has worked well enough for me to consider upgrading my hardware.

I'm new here and have been lurking on the forums for the past few months. I'm not an audiophile from any perspective.

My setup:
Moode 3.1 on a PiZero fetching music from a WD NAS over samba.
It is connected over HDMI to a Denon AVR-1913 which is then connected to some decent speakers and a TV
No DAC yet
Music is mix of 128 - 320kbps MP3s
Moode is controlled using the built-in chrome webapp on android

Questions:
What is the recommended (and affordable) DAC for a PiZero? I've read good things about the Pi-DACZero from IQAudio.
Does anyone use this from piZeroAudio https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MDW602K and how does it possibly compare with the IQAudio Pi-DACZero.

While the chrome webapp works well enough, I do miss having lock-screen controls (basic pause/start, next, previous). Any chance this can be added in a future release?

While I clearly understand that Moode is meant to be headless, I would love to see AlbumArt on my TV (which is already connected via the AVR on HDMI). Is this possible without significant efforts?

Thanks again,
Dhawal

Hi Dhawal,

What are "lock-screen controls"?

I think some users have managed to install a local Browser and some x11 video libraries which would allow running Moode UI locally and have it display over HDMI port, but this is not something I plan to integrate.

-Tim

Hi there!

First of all, thank you for this great peace of software. I am using moodeaudio now for two years at home.

I installed moodeaudio here, too - giving access bay the acces point feature and have a ethernet connection to my private lan.

Works quite nice so far: music can be streamed from my private NAS and access to moode by AP is limited to that.

But one problem exists:
Everybody who can access the AP can edit all moode settings or edit/delete my shares or radio stations.

Is it possible to restrict these settings? Or can I edit some config files so that these settings aren't shown anymore?

And a second wish:
Everybode who wants to use my music system must connect to the AP and then enter the moode.local URL.

would it be possible to add this address similar to the landing pages which are common in hotel WLANs?

Thank you,
Vogi

Hi Vogi,

Moode is not really designed to be used in shared Kiosk type scenarios where there is a need for access control and login or landing pages. Its too narrow a usage scenario for me to devote time to code and support it.

-Tim

Hi Vogi,

Moode is not really designed to be used in shared Kiosk type scenarios where there is a need for access control and login or landing pages. Its too narrow a usage scenario for me to devote time to code and support it.

-Tim

One thing that is possible is to set an entry in dns so any address entered in the browser takes you to the host page. This would only be in effect when AP mode is enabled.

It's a simple change that a user could make themselves - I will dig it up

Edit:

...make a change to the dnsmasq configuration:

edit /etc/dnsmasq.conf with the IP address of the AP

address=/#/172.24.1.1

Then restart dnsmasq:

/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

Last edited:
Hi there!

But one problem exists:

And a second wish:

Thank you,
Vogi

Not actually tried this is AP mode but this sounds like you need to use UPNP, if you enable UPNP and MINIDNLA on Moode you can get you colleagues to use Linn Kazoo, Bubble UPNP (or better Bubble DS) or Lumin on IOS. The upnp in Moode supports the open home extensions which include Renderer playlists so multiple control point applications can see the same play list. Due UPNP's use of broadcast mechanisms your colleagues will not need to know the IP address or use moode.local in a web browser (but you still can).

The users control application will browse the MiniDNLA server to select your music and then play or enqueue songs.

You will need to install some discipline in the use of play now and enqueue though.