Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hello,

First of all, thanks Tim for Moode. I did have some initial trouble indexing the collection, but since then it has worked well enough for me to consider upgrading my hardware.

I'm new here and have been lurking on the forums for the past few months. I'm not an audiophile from any perspective.

My setup:
Moode 3.1 on a PiZero fetching music from a WD NAS over samba.
It is connected over HDMI to a Denon AVR-1913 which is then connected to some decent speakers and a TV
No DAC yet
Music is mix of 128 - 320kbps MP3s
Moode is controlled using the built-in chrome webapp on android

Questions:
What is the recommended (and affordable) DAC for a PiZero? I've read good things about the Pi-DACZero from IQAudio.
Does anyone use this from piZeroAudio https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MDW602K and how does it possibly compare with the IQAudio Pi-DACZero.

While the chrome webapp works well enough, I do miss having lock-screen controls (basic pause/start, next, previous). Any chance this can be added in a future release?

While I clearly understand that Moode is meant to be headless, I would love to see AlbumArt on my TV (which is already connected via the AVR on HDMI). Is this possible without significant efforts?

Thanks again,
Dhawal

Hello, lock screen controls are available on Bubbleupnp (UPNP/DLNA controller) and MALP (a MPD client GUI for android).

No real reason for you to be running a DAC unless you plan on disconnecting the HDMI lead and not using the AVR.

Hi Tim et al,

After some testing I switched too Moode, because it is faster with huge playlists than Volumio and Rune.
But although the fastest, it still is quite slow when I'm using the webinterface.
I use moode 3.1 on a Raspberry Pi 3 B, with a Samsung SSD connected via USB.
All files are flac.

It would be great if either of these features can be added to Moode...
- more responsive webinterface when loading a large playlist;
- limit the number of items *shown* in the playlist (perhaps via a popup 'the playlist is very large, load everything?');
- add a menu option "select x tracks at random" on the 'browse' tab. I think 100 is a good value for x. Or "select y minutes/hours of random tracks." A lot of possibilities :)

Thanks,
Peter

I use static IP address on a wired connection, partly to speed up booting. However I see a "A start job is running for dhcpcd on all interfaces" message during booting for about 15 sec (via the HDMI out). If I understand this is a DHCP client which is not needed for a static configuration. How can this be avoided? I found in the internet that a "sudo systemctl disable dhcpcd.service" command would disable this service but I wouldn't use this without asking first. So is it safe (and persistent) to disable? Or are there any other way to speed up the booting process?
And there is the "Check for eth0 IP" parameter in the configs. Is it related anyhow to this situation? Tim wrote about this as "The setting does not disable the eth0 interface, it just bypasses the code in worker startup that performs a check for receipt of an ip address on eth0. This can reduce boot time by up to 9 secs." in another support forum. So I assume it is also safe to set it to "no".

Hi Tim et al,

After some testing I switched too Moode, because it is faster with huge playlists than Volumio and Rune.
But although the fastest, it still is quite slow when I'm using the webinterface.
I use moode 3.1 on a Raspberry Pi 3 B, with a Samsung SSD connected via USB.
All files are flac.

It would be great if either of these features can be added to Moode...
- more responsive webinterface when loading a large playlist;
- limit the number of items *shown* in the playlist (perhaps via a popup 'the playlist is very large, load everything?');
- add a menu option "select x tracks at random" on the 'browse' tab. I think 100 is a good value for x. Or "select y minutes/hours of random tracks." A lot of possibilities :)

Thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter,

If you are using huge playlist for random play try using the Auto-shuffle feature. It only uses a single playlist item and never grows the Playlist.

Playlists and also the Library are loaded into the Browser memory. Huge numbers of items can bog down the Browser.

-Tim

Last edited:
I use static IP address on a wired connection, partly to speed up booting. However I see a "A start job is running for dhcpcd on all interfaces" message during booting for about 15 sec (via the HDMI out). If I understand this is a DHCP client which is not needed for a static configuration. How can this be avoided? I found in the internet that a "sudo systemctl disable dhcpcd.service" command would disable this service but I wouldn't use this without asking first. So is it safe (and persistent) to disable? Or are there any other way to speed up the booting process?
And there is the "Check for eth0 IP" parameter in the configs. Is it related anyhow to this situation? Tim wrote about this as "The setting does not disable the eth0 interface, it just bypasses the code in worker startup that performs a check for receipt of an ip address on eth0. This can reduce boot time by up to 9 secs." in another support forum. So I assume it is also safe to set it to "no".

Hi,

What version of Moode are you running?

-Tim

Hi Peter,

If you are using huge playlist for random play try using the Auto-shuffle feature. It only uses a single playlist item and never grows the Playlist.

Playlists and also the Library are loaded into the Browser memory. Huge numbers of items can bog down the Browser.

-Tim
Hi Tim,

Not entirely what I was after, but this is definitely an improvement.
(Sometimes I enable shuffle on all my music, and when I hear a good track, I disable shuffle.)

Thanks,
Peter

Release: 3.1 2016-12-05 on a Raspberry Pi 2

Hi,

When static address is assigned there should be a deny interfaces eth0 | wlan0 entry in etc/dhcpcd.conf. This prevents dhcp from assigning another address to the interface which could take some time.

Verify the configuration by cmd below.
cat /etc/dhcpcd.conf | grep denyinterfaces

For fastest boot:

- Set CPU governor to Performance
- Turn off HDMI port
- Set "Check for eth0 IP" to No

-Tim

Hi,

Just a brief status update on upcoming Moode 3.5 release.

I got side tracked for a while working with the new 4.9 Linux kernel branch to see if it could be used for Moode 3.5 but I discovered a couple of show-stopper issues related to Raspbian compatibility with the new kernel branch. When these are resolved I'll resume 4.9 testing but until then Moode will stay on 4.4 kernel.

I've added the nice new Audiophonics TDA1387 DAC to the list of supported I2S DACs :)

Currently working on getting Moode 3.5 packaged up and ready for release. Also testing out Amazon CloudFront CDN for distributing the download zip to enable faster downloads.

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r35.png
    moode-r35.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 413
Hi,

When static address is assigned there should be a deny interfaces eth0 | wlan0 entry in etc/dhcpcd.conf. This prevents dhcp from assigning another address to the interface which could take some time.

Verify the configuration by cmd below.
cat /etc/dhcpcd.conf | grep denyinterfaces

For fastest boot:

- Set CPU governor to Performance
- Turn off HDMI port
- Set "Check for eth0 IP" to No

-Tim
Hi,
Indeed, there is a "denyinterfaces eth0" in /etc/dhcpcd.conf. Now I set CPU governor to Performance (with Advanced kernel), "Check for eth0 IP" to No but still the message appears and causes more than 20 sec delay during booting.

Hey Tim,

Great to see an update in the works, thanks as always for your effort with this..

FYI there's a mainline kernel bump up to 4.4.50 in raspbian that's been released today (along with the "bootloader" etc updates that normally come with it).

I can confirm that I've been regularly "upgrading" and "dist-upgrading" via apt-get v3.1 without any troubles and the kernel bump today again seems to trouble free. There's been s couple samba/cifs upgrades over the past month or two, whilst I don't follow the change logs as I have no problems with any moode features, perhaps they bring performance gains?

Thanks,
LTF

Hi,

Just a brief status update on upcoming Moode 3.5 release.

I got side tracked for a while working with the new 4.9 Linux kernel branch to see if it could be used for Moode 3.5 but I discovered a couple of show-stopper issues related to Raspbian compatibility with the new kernel branch. When these are resolved I'll resume 4.9 testing but until then Moode will stay on 4.4 kernel.

I've added the nice new Audiophonics TDA1387 DAC to the list of supported I2S DACs :)

Currently working on getting Moode 3.5 packaged up and ready for release. Also testing out Amazon CloudFront CDN for distributing the download zip to enable faster downloads.

-Tim

Hey Tim,

Great to see an update in the works, thanks as always for your effort with this..

FYI there's a mainline kernel bump up to 4.4.50 in raspbian that's been released today (along with the "bootloader" etc updates that normally come with it).

I can confirm that I've been regularly "upgrading" and "dist-upgrading" via apt-get v3.1 without any troubles and the kernel bump today again seems to trouble free. There's been s couple samba/cifs upgrades over the past month or two, whilst I don't follow the change logs as I have no problems with any moode features, perhaps they bring performance gains?

Thanks,
LTF

Hi,

4.4.50 been out for quite a while now, not just today. It was the last of the rpi 4.4 branch prior to kernel devs bumping to rpi 4.9 branch.

Latest Raspbian release 2017-03-02 is using 4.4.50 and at some point when the dust settles, there will be a Raspbian release on top of 4.9 :)

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Not entirely what I was after, but this is definitely an improvement.
(Sometimes I enable shuffle on all my music, and when I hear a good track, I disable shuffle.)

Thanks,
Peter

You realise the 'auto shuffle' feature is not the same as the shuffle playback icon, which shuffles what is currently on the playlist?

You select auto shuffle via the config.

You realise the 'auto shuffle' feature is not the same as the shuffle playback icon, which shuffles what is currently on the playlist?

You select auto shuffle via the config.

From the Help:

When the last song in the Playlist has finished playing Auto-shuffle adds a random song from the music library to the end of the Playlist, then removes it when it finishes playing. This creates a continuous stream of music without growing the Playlist.

NOTE: Auto-shuffle replaces MPD random play as the default method for the 'Random' button on the Playback panel.