Archphile - An Archlinux Based Audiophile Distribution for Raspberry Pi and Udoo Quad

I don’t know what I am doing wrong but can’t make kazoo see Archphile!
I don’t see option to add server in settings.

Yes, latest update of kazoo is flaky. Now I can't even connect to Archphile. Here's a better DLNA app call Lumin

LUMIN on the App Store

This app is so cool. You can even perform keyword search for Tidal songs (if you have tidal setup in /etc/upmpdcli.conf) Other apps only allow you to browse recommended playlists and do not have keyword search functionality! Not even Kazoo. Also one more thing.. for radio stations, you need to edit upmpdcli.conf. If you scroll the config file you will see radio stations like this

[radio FIP autour du rock]
url = http://direct.fipradio.fr/live/fip-webradio1.mp3
artUrl = http://www.fipradio.fr/sites/all/themes/custom/fip/img/logo_fip_header.png

You can add your own. artUrl is not required.

Unfortunately this is a UPNP/DLNA app just like Kazoo and does not support MPD. So you need to enable upnp

To start it:
systemctl start upmpdcli

To enable it:
systemctl enable upmpdcli

I wish there's an ios app that has BOTH UPNP and MPD.

I don’t know what I am doing wrong but can’t make kazoo see Archphile!
I don’t see option to add server in settings.

Short answer to your issue -> you need to enable upmpdcli which is not enabled in archphile by default

From the archphile manual:

With upmpdcli, Archphile acts as a UPNP/DLNA renderer that can be used with various applications, like for example bubbleupnp.

Upmpdcli is not enabled by default. In order to start it you will need the following command:

systemctl start upmpdcli

If you want to enable it so that it runs after every boot:

If you later change your mind and you want to disable it, you can use the following command:

systemctl disable upmpdcli

Short answer to your issue -> you need to enable upmpdcli which is not enabled in archphile by default

From the archphile manual:

With upmpdcli, Archphile acts as a UPNP/DLNA renderer that can be used with various applications, like for example bubbleupnp.

Upmpdcli is not enabled by default. In order to start it you will need the following command:

systemctl start upmpdcli

If you want to enable it so that it runs after every boot:

If you later change your mind and you want to disable it, you can use the following command:

systemctl disable upmpdcli
Thanks a lot!
I will try..

Thanks a lot!
I will try..

I had the wrong impression that the radio stations were from my webradio folder. When you enable UPNP and connect using kazoo or lumin, you will see pre-added radio stations. To add your own, you need to edit /etc/upmpdcli.conf and add them as I mentioned in previous post. This is also the file to add your Tidal subscription.

Well after reading more carefully what you wrote I will stick with MPDeluxe and Soundirock. I have them both.
Since I do not need upnp enabled I think there is no need for doing it just for a client no matter cool it looks.
I prefer to have the least services running.
I used to have upmpdcli enabled when I was using Archphile as an output for Audirvana Plus but now I use it stand alone.
Thank you very much for the useful tips though.

Does anyone know if alsa-equal (Equalizer) works (not necessarily supported) on v0.99.73? Has it been removed from the playground repo?

The short answer is yes. I sorted it myself with enough googling.

The key is to not upgrade any packages, but install packages matching the versions at the time of the ArchlinuxARM build that is used under archphile (v0.99.73 ~ 22/5/18). I found an archive on line.

With all of that installed, I was able to download the OLD playground package source and make and install alsa-equal.

I then added swh-plugins - which gives a 15 band equalizer.

Then made and installed the alsaequal-mgr - a bash script driven utility to allow saving and loading of equalizer settings on the fly.

Now I am going to write a script to monitor MPD track (actually folder level) changes and load an appropriate equalizer for those harshly engineered tracks I like ;)

I'll post up the process to get the above working and also the script if anyone else is interested.

Note: With all the above - you are not using hardware therefore losing bit-perfect playback. This is noted in the manual.

Below is a screenshot of alsamixer with ALSA configured to use the swh-plugins mbeq equalizer.

Attachments

• mbeq on archphile.png
    mbeq on archphile.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 203
The use of I2s DACs in Archphile is pretty simple and straight-forward. The only
step needed is the editing of /boot/config.txt:
nano /boot/config.txt
There you will find a list of (disabled) overlays for various I2S DACs. Let’s
assume you want to enable your Mamboberry DAC. You need to find this section:
# Hifiberry and Mamboberry Dacs
#dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
enable the overlay:
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
and reboot:
systemctl reboot

https://archphile.org/manual/archphile-manual.pdf

The use of I2s DACs in Archphile is pretty simple and straight-forward. The only
step needed is the editing of /boot/config.txt:
nano /boot/config.txt
There you will find a list of (disabled) overlays for various I2S DACs. Let’s
assume you want to enable your Mamboberry DAC. You need to find this section:
#dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
enable the overlay:
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
and reboot:
systemctl reboot

https://archphile.org/manual/archphile-manual.pdf

Thanks!

How can I resample the music for spotify? Because ian' FIFO needs to resample to more than 24bits, it can be played normally.
Use aplay -L, etc:

Code:
default:CARD=Device
  USB Audio Device, USB Audio
  Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Device
  Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  Front speakers
surround21:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  Hardware device with all software conversions
And see this:

Code:
Then test a wave file at your desired sample rate:

Code:
aplay -D plughw:CARD=Device test_24_96.wav
If you hear the sound plays normally. Use plughw:CARD=Device for Spotify Connect output device.

Last edited:
Use aplay -L, etc:

Code:
default:CARD=Device
  Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Device
  Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  Front speakers
surround21:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Device,DEV=0
  Direct hardware device without any conversions
And see this:

Code:
Then test a wave file at your desired sample rate:

Code:
aplay -D plughw:CARD=Device test_24_96.wav
If you hear the sound plays normally. Use plughw:CARD=Device for Spotify Connect output device.

Thank you for your reply, but Spotify will not use mpd, so changing the mpd settings will not affect Spotify. The only way that is the plugin for volumio that I mentioned. It uses the way of intercepting ALSA and resampling. However, his method is still in the beta state, and the sound quality is not ideal.

I have already asked the author of Spotify Connect Web, and he said that there is currently no way to do what I said.

[HOW-TO] Spotify Connect Web for Moode

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, but Spotify will not use mpd, so changing the mpd settings will not affect Spotify. The only way that is the plugin for volumio that I mentioned. It uses the way of intercepting ALSA and resampling. However, his method is still in the beta state, and the sound quality is not ideal.

I have already asked the author of Spotify Connect Web, and he said that there is currently no way to do what I said.

[HOW-TO] Spotify Connect Web for Moode
Spotify Connect use alsa device to output. Not related to MPD.

If you find the "Hardware device with all software conversions" as i mentioned above. And test hi-res wav file OK. Then you can use one of the following:

Raspotify:

Code:
nano /etc/default/raspotify
Code:
#OPTIONS="--username <USERNAME> --password <PASSWORD>"
--device "device_with software conversions"
Spotify Connect by Fornoth:

Code:
./spotify-connect-web.sh --MyPlayer --playback_device "device_with software conversions" --username abc --password xyz --bitrate 320
I used both ways for DAC support only 24/96 input. It works perfectly.

PS: "Hardware device with all software conversions", meaning it has upsampling capability :D

Last edited:
Spotify Connect use alsa device to output. Not related to MPD.

If you find the "Hardware device with all software conversions" as i mentioned above. And test hi-res wav file OK. Then you can use one of the following:

Raspotify:

Code:
nano /etc/default/raspotify
Code:
#OPTIONS="--username <USERNAME> --password <PASSWORD>"
--device "device_with software conversions"
Spotify Connect by Fornoth:

Code:
./spotify-connect-web.sh --MyPlayer --playback_device "device_with software conversions" --username abc --password xyz --bitrate 320
I used both ways for DAC support only 24/96 input. It works perfectly.

PS: "Hardware device with all software conversions", meaning it has upsampling capability :D

Thank you very much!

How can I change the bit depth from 16bits to 24bits for Spotify Connect? Not bitrate.

RESAMPLING PLUGIN for Volumio, I mentioned before, is indeed able to play spotify through Ian's FIFO which I guess the chip in Ian's FIFO can only support 24bits, does not support 16bits, but the sound quality is bad. No matter what, the means used by RESAMPLING PLUGIN for Volumio is indeed workable, but there are still problems that need to be improved.

Last edited:
Thank you very much!

How can I change the bit depth from 16bits to 24bits for Spotify Connect? Not bitrate.

RESAMPLING PLUGIN for Volumio, I mentioned before, is indeed able to play spotify through Ian's FIFO which I guess the chip in Ian's FIFO can only support 24bits, does not support 16bits, but the sound quality is bad. No matter what, the means used by RESAMPLING PLUGIN for Volumio is indeed workable, but there are still problems that need to be improved.
Resampling, bit depth conversion are a long story. We have to experiment to know how it is.

Thank you very much!

Please post for me result of "aplay -L" command.