Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Hello guys ,

some small problems wih my daphile configuration :

I have an old thin client with via c7 1,3ghz 512 Mo RAM and last version of daphile .

Main problem is that I have 10 sec silence between tracks if I jump from a track to another but no silence if I let run the playlist .... Any idea ?
I used ethernet cable , tryed also wifi , nothing change .

I also have some noises passing from tracks of different format

I think I found my solution. Under Info/Media Server/Rescan I selected "Restart Media Server with Reset Databases". That brought back all the cover art, and made the tracks that were misbehaving fall back in line. These tracks, besides not showing cover art, would also not play when selected. Albums that were affected would also show "Loading..." under the playlist column instead of the name of the tracks. The Reset cured all that. It might be that I unknowingly turned off the computer in the middle of a rescan or something that caused the database to go gamey.

Hello guys ,

some small problems wih my daphile configuration :

I have an old thin client with via c7 1,3ghz 512 Mo RAM and last version of daphile .

Main problem is that I have 10 sec silence between tracks if I jump from a track to another but no silence if I let run the playlist .... Any idea ?
I used ethernet cable , tryed also wifi , nothing change .

I also have some noises passing from tracks of different format

That might possibly be your DAC. Mine acts oddly like that when I use the USB input, but is smooth and quiet from the optical input.

ASRock J5005-itx not working

So far I have successfully built Daphile boxes with J3455 and H77/i5-3570 hardware.
I wanted to try out the RT version on newer J5005 hardware. I can not get it to work.
I use the same USB WiFi sticks on all boxes. I have tried swapping them. I have tried wired ethernet. I have tried BIOS updates. I have tried wired and wireless keyboard and mouse.

I boot from the stick, select keyboard, and then configure either WiFi or not. Daphile is 'starting' but never gets the network up. On very few occasions I have using yet another different WiFi stick I have gotten to the part where it announces it is accessible over an IP address, but I have never been able to establish a connection.
I have tried RT and regular flavours. I have redownloaded the Daphile and used different USB sticks.

Installing Windows LTSC works flawlessly, so there are no hardware issues.

If if you've got this working i'd like to hear what network connection you're using.

Thanks Drone7 but the settings within Daphile don't do it. As I said I found a post last year and followed instructions to edit a file in/etc/default where there was a setting to set the system to local time not utc. I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I cannot find any file in that default folder that contains the setting. I am thinking this latest distro has moved some files about. Oh well, it is fun sitting in the lounge doing the math to calculate the time from my PC clock!

I have just tried to install daphile (real time kernel) on 2 pcs with different outcomes.

1. On an intel nuc 8 i3.
"Image Authorization Fail.
System cannot boot to this device due to security violation."

And the system goes no further.

2. On an intel atom n550 eee PC
The USB device is not even recognised. It goes straight to windows no matter the boot priority.

If anyone can chime in with a heads up it would be much appreciated. I had my heart set on running this with the eee pc as it has a screen and is far more compact than the nuc (with screen and keyboard).

Thanks and regards

hifix.

Daphile is designed to be run as a headless device so apart from initial install the screen and keyboard will be of little use.
(There is a local user option where they would work but from experience this is not a pleasant way to run Daphile...the local UI is...very basic and hard to navigate and you can't make settings changes from it so still need to run headless for settings and admin)

Not sure about your USB stick... if it were me I would check if the boot flag was set.
You should be able, with the USB stick inserted to the eeePC, to start and go directly to bios and select the stick as the boot option.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Best DSD settings

What are the best settings to upsample files to DSD256?

Power:
CPU Frequency: Dynamic or maximum or other?
CPU Security: nothing or disable all optional CPU exploit mitigations?
Clock Source: TSC or HPET or ACPI_PM?
Hyper-threading: nothing or disable?

Audio Devices:
Advanced:
Resampling filters:
Quality: very high or high?
Phase response: minimum phase or intermediate phase or linear phase?
Bandwith: steep filter or nothing?

Audio Devices:
Advanced:
Conversion to DSD:
Noise shaping: sdm-4 or sdm-5 or sdm-6 or sdm-7 or sdm-8 or clans-4 or clans-5 or clans-6 or clans-7 or clans-8?
DSD to DSD cut-off: 30kHz-200KHz, I have 50kHz it's ok?
Attenuation: -6 to -12dB,I have -7dB it's ok?

Audio Devices:
Advanced:
Track transition delays:
Sample rate change: 0-3000ms, I have 1200ms it's ok?
PCM-DSD mode switch: 0-3000ms, I have 1200ms it's ok?
Native DSD mode quirck: nothing or fix DSD64 - PCM 88.2kHz transitions?

Audio Devices:
Advanced:
Player buffering:
Stream buffer: 256-2048Mb, I have 3200Kb it's ok?
Output buffer: 4096Kb, I have 4096Kb it's ok?

Audio Devices:
Advanced:
Kernel/ALSA buffering:
Buffer time: 1-400ms, I have 100ms it's ok?
Period count: 2-40, I have 3 it's ok?

If it's something I forget please share

TIA
Felipe

Daphile is designed to be run as a headless device so apart from initial install the screen and keyboard will be of little use.
(There is a local user option where they would work but from experience this is not a pleasant way to run Daphile...the local UI is...very basic and hard to navigate and you can't make settings changes from it so still need to run headless for settings and admin)

Not sure about your USB stick... if it were me I would check if the boot flag was set.
You should be able, with the USB stick inserted to the eeePC, to start and go directly to bios and select the stick as the boot option.

Hey thanks DRONE7 :D

I have got it going.
Using Rufus to get a working image on to the USB seemed to do it. I was using etcher prior.

Wireless: No compatible devices

Hello all,

after successfully testing daphile with an old (super noisy) laptop I bought a Mini-PC specifically to use it as a streamer with dapihle.

The problem now is, that I cannot set up a wifi connection, because "No compatible devices" are found.
Under Win10 I can set up a wifi connection without any problems.

The PC is a TrekStor W1 (Mini-PC not the Surfbook with the same name) with a Quad-Core Intel Atom Z3735F and a Realtek RTL8723BS wireless LAN adapter.

Do you have any suggestions what I can do?
Thank you so much for your help.

@Drone7:

Thanks for your reply.

If nothing else works, I will use the workaround with the usb wifi adapter.

However, there´s one thing that´s a bit suspicious.
Although the pc has a headphone jack, daphile did not find an audio device either, before I connected the DAC via USB.

Could there be a setting that prevents daphile from finding any devices?

I have a question that is not specific to Daphile - forgive me if it is unwelcome. I have been using Daphile almost from the beginning, very happily. I use squeezer to control it, but like as far as I know all the remote apps, the navigation within a track is just a linear slider limited by the screen size. This is fine for a four minute song, but if the "song" is a four hour opera, it is hopeless to skip back or forwards a minute or so or even ten minutes or so. Is there any app or any other way of controlling it that behaves more like e.g. the BBC iPlayer/Sounds interface, allowing much more controlled navigation?
Thanks.