Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Daphile RT Hardware Requirements

Does the RT version of Daphile require a faster processor and/or more ram than the 64 bit version?

I've been running the 64 bit version for about a year. I recently tried the RT version with disappointing sound quality results.

I'm running the two versions on identical 2012-era Dell laptops. 2.5Ghz Centrino dual core cpu, 4GB ram, 1TB SSD with music, boot and data partitions. The DAC is a M2Tech Evo DAC2. The music is mostly flac files and some hi-res.

I've swapped drives from one PC to the other. SQ differences traveled with the respective drives. I'll continue to look for settings to tweak, but do I need a better machine for the RT version of Daphile?

Does the ssd show up in the bios. Have you tried a fresh install from USB?

It has reinstalled the older version by itself. It has been rescanning the library for 57hrs and does nothing else.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181214-002815_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181214-002815_Chrome.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 480
  • Screenshot_20181214-001450_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181214-001450_Chrome.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 498
Thanks. What do you define as normal (vs abnormal?) audio?

It does appear that CPU load goes up a bit with the RT version. I recently loaded RT on a newer laptop with an i7 cpu and 12GB ram. I didn't notice any difference, so it doesn't appear that my older PC is being overworked.

I think a slight improvement in latency might explain the difference between the RT and 64 bit versions. Admittedly, it is a minor difference. Whatever the reason, with the RT version the quieter instrumentals, especially string instruments, sound a bit more accurate but less resonant. And lacking that resonance, vocals are more focused in the center of the sound stage. With 64 bit, vocals, piano and wind instruments have a slightly warmer, fuller, richer sound. Accuracy vs fullness; it's a tradeoff. I think I prefer the 64 bit version.

There is no technical reason a RT kernel should change the sound, unless very audible buffer underruns occur (clicks). Only blind listening test can provide objective information which can be acted upon by software authors.

RT kernel is important when low latency is required - DAW, MIDI keyboards, recording work, etc.

It has been here discussed many times.

Anybody succeeded to run Daphile on a Eee-PC 1000H or something with ATOM CPU Z530, SSD HD and 1GB of RAM?

Really would like to get this running, otherwise I'm in need of a new low power consumption bare-bone or the like.
With the Eee-PC there are annoying glitches I can't get rid of.
I did alter many settings in buffer / run, in dynamic versus max processor speed, in re-sampling filter quality and so on.

Last thing I possibly could try is to upgrade to 2GB max RAM if that makes any sense?

Any input very much appreciated. Thanks!

Anybody succeeded to run Daphile on a Eee-PC 1000H or something with ATOM CPU Z530, SSD HD and 1GB of RAM?

Really would like to get this running, otherwise I'm in need of a new low power consumption bare-bone or the like.
With the Eee-PC there are annoying glitches I can't get rid of.
I did alter many settings in buffer / run, in dynamic versus max processor speed, in re-sampling filter quality and so on.

Last thing I possibly could try is to upgrade to 2GB max RAM if that makes any sense?

Any input very much appreciated. Thanks!

Should be OK although a little under powered. A 2014 post in this same thread stated ...

See Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I found an Asus EeePC in mint condition on my local buy and sell website for $75. It runs Daphile without a hitch, it is quiet, it is tiny, and it uses next to no power.

Should be OK although a little under powered. A 2014 post in this same thread stated ...

See Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I found an Asus EeePC in mint condition on my local buy and sell website for $75. It runs Daphile without a hitch, it is quiet, it is tiny, and it uses next to no power.

Weird enough there's an UK seller who sells an ASUS EeePC for beer and pizza money... with the bonus of having Daphile already installed on it :D

ASUS Eee PC 4G 7" Intel Celeron M, 900 MHz, 512 MB | eBay