The Zenitron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Inner mystery of the circlotron!

A lot of us will be happy if you can explain more how the Circlotron circuit works...especially as you presented it. Then we can share with your excitement Thanks!
If you look at the following chematic you can see two currentpaths going through the speaker from opposite directions. When at idle there is no voltagedifference on the loudspeakerterminals so no current flows through the speaker. The quiesent current flows in an figure of eight (8) through the powersupplies and the fets/tubes/valves. (yes it would be possible to make a hydralic or pnumatic circlotron to) (Think subwoofer with DEEEEP BASS!!!)
When a signal is applied the voltage shifts so you get a more positive voltage on one side and a more negative on the other, thus current flows the easiest way - through the voicecoil and sweet music pops out of the speakers.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

See www.tubecad.com for a more thourough workthrough on the circlotron/horizontal topologies, thats where i learned a lot about them

Tom2 said:
If you have more ideas, im very intrested.Please tell me about them! I love the horisontal/circlotron circuit because it offers simplicity and true balanced symmetrical designs.
Its easy to implement a lot of different ideas and qualities into the design.
Its a bit boring nobody seems to understand them and their special qualities.

Your zenitron circuit puzzles me.

Since the power signal current can only circulate
through the load, power supplies, power mosfets and 2200 uf caps, --- thus this implies the power signal current increases on both the positive and negative parts of the signal through both power mosfets (since the mosfets are biased on). IMHO one of
the power mosfets for a given positive (or negative for the other mosfet) part of the signal seems to work backward to what it should. In other words the KVL loop of the power supplies, power mosfets, load and 2200uf caps derives what voltage should be across the power mosfets and thus one mosfet should be decreasing in voltage across it yet the current though it is increasing??????

IMHO the difficulty I am having understanding the zenitron, SuSy circlotron circuits and x100 circuit is the circuits seem to need or have two or more ground reference points. My brain keeps telling me the circuits can have only one?????

I can't get it through my brain on how to drive a circlotron with volatage gain in a balanced way without resorting to input transformers as a way to isolate the two circlotron halves from having ground reference problems. Maybe I just don't see it yet.

Perhaps more circlotron KVL grokking needed for me!

Your aleph, resistor, lightbulb circlotrons seem ok to me.

Circlotrons are very interesting indeed!

Tom

IMHO the difficulty I am having understanding the zenitron, SuSy circlotron circuits and x100 circuit is the circuits seem to need or have two or more ground reference points. My brain keeps telling me the circuits can have only one?????
It only has one ground reference point.The exact middle of the circuit.
The amp kind of "flaps its wings" in opposite directions with the middlepoint being still all the time.
power supplies, power mosfets and 2200 uf caps
22000 mF,otherwise the bass will be weak.

Circlomanen,

The zip file contains two schematics.

One circuit uses a balanced line zen input for voltage gain.
The other uses a reflected cascode front end for voltage gain.
Both use the same circlotron output stage buffer.

Hmmm maybe I could use an XX circuit somehow.

Tom

Attachments

• circlosusy.zip
    37.7 KB · Views: 258
Tom2 said:
Circlomanen,

The zip file contains two schematics.
One circuit uses a balanced line zen input for voltage gain.
The other uses a reflected cascode front end for voltage gain.
Both use the same circlotron output stage buffer.
Hmmm maybe I could use an XX circuit somehow.
Tom
I can not unzip the file. Im using Linux/Debian on my computer and there seems to be some problem with unpacking the file.:confused: :bawling:

This schematic uses the balanced line zen for
the voltage gain in the front end and a circlotron
buffer stage for the output.

Its a very simple circuit.

I use Linear Technologies Switcher Cad as a
schematic drawer. The schematic has been resampled
down to 800x600. Hopefully its readable.

Tom

Attachments

• blzsusya1.gif
    blzsusya1.gif
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,103
Tom2 said:
This schematic uses a balanced reflected cascode
front end for voltage gain and the same circlotron output
stage like the previous schematic.

There is obviously a lot of work to do on these schematics.

Tom
No not much! You should go ahead and built it! To make it easier you should build it with 9 volt batteries and smallsignal- transistors. 2SK170 and BC 556 in the front end, and IRF 510 in the output. That way you will probably get a lot of different ideas and new solutions to eventual problems.( And its cheaper to let the magic smoke out on these.) I think its the high level of nessesity of understanding and solving the problems you encounter when building an exprimental design,- that is the best way to learn. All these simulationprograms makes it to easy to check out how something work. You get lazy and never push yourself to do that extra thinking to really solve the problem in a clever way.
I have burnt a lot of resistors, transistors and a speaker on my long and winding road to these designs. But I had a lot of fun.:)

Hi!

I am thinking about Light-Circlo-zenitron. Did anyone try the one with the lightbulb? If yes, what kind of lightbulb? Other component values? With fullrange speaker? And perhaps a pair of 12 v SLA batteries. Just for testing, of course...:D

regards,

Vix

Try the zenitron as I sketcht it in the beginning of this thread. It works very well. I think it sounds wonderful but I would like to hear other people opinions about it.
You dont have to use the big value capacitors across the fets sourcepins. Just put a wire there instead. I used capacitors to make it more thermaly stable. Not needed. It didnt deviate more than 1 mV from my trimming of the DC offset while heating up.
It accepts singelended input signals to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.