Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

What Preamp to Build?
What Preamp to Build?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2021, 01:42 AM   #1
BRN is offline BRN  United States
diyAudio Member

What Preamp to Build?
Default What Preamp to Build?

I知 thinking about building one of the usual suspects on the Pass Lab forum. Specifically, I知 interested the Iron Pre, BA-3 pre, and Wayne's BA 2018, but any other suggestions are welcome.

I知 currently using a Vacuum Tube Audio SP14 tube pre in front of my SissySIT, and have used it with my M2C and M2x. It works very well with all of them, but want to try something else. Once I complete my F2J build my intention is to start on one of those preamps.

I have found that I like a preamp with gain. Buffer or passive preamp I feel they sound a little flat.

Any insight is greatly appreciated, because there are no bad ones.
Old 11th April 2021, 04:01 AM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

What Preamp to Build?
The ACP+ sounds superb. It’s clean, very dynamic, and quiet. For preamp duties, lowering the bias current to 70mA reduces heat generation and sounds very good still.

Amp Camp Pre+Headphone Amp - ACP+
Old 11th April 2021, 04:13 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

What Preamp to Build?
xrk971,

Congratulations on the Sony VFET.

I forgot about that preamp. Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 05:03 AM   #4
sp33ls is offline sp33ls  United States
Friendly neighborhood
diyAudio Member

What Preamp to Build?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRN View Post
I have found that I like a preamp with gain. Buffer or passive preamp I feel they sound a little flat.
Isn't this interesting? I had the same impression with my passive pre. It seemed like there was plenty of detail, but the sound wasn't as engaging. Fast forward to today l, and I've been restoring a Pioneer Exclusive C3 which has +-70V rails lol. I think they wanted to ensure enough juice for the phono inputs, and let everything else be attenuated down a notch.

Still, I've contemplated trying Wayne's BS linestage for fun, but an really trying to keep myself from collecting too many components until I have a house. Curious to hear what you decide to go with.
Old 11th April 2021, 10:05 AM   #5
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

What Preamp to Build?
Iron Pre

or, as more Contadino iteration - B1T

I confess, I'm biased
Old 11th April 2021, 10:29 AM   #6
Chris Daly is online now Chris Daly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRN View Post
I’m thinking about building one of the usual suspects on the Pass Lab forum. Specifically, I’m interested the Iron Pre, BA-3 pre, and Wayne's BA 2018, but any other suggestions are welcome.

I’m currently using a Vacuum Tube Audio SP14 tube pre in front of my SissySIT, and have used it with my M2C and M2x. It works very well with all of them, but want to try something else. Once I complete my F2J build my intention is to start on one of those preamps.

Any insight is greatly appreciated, because there are no bad ones.
I would work on your gain structure, consumer line level being as it is at nominal 310mv RMS, just needs power amps to have similar sensitivity. Requiring resistor based attenuation of course in between, the benefit is you are more likely to hear what your source is actually providing , vs adding reactance.

Last edited by Chris Daly; 11th April 2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11th April 2021, 05:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

What Preamp to Build?
Chris,

Agreed that there needs to be a synergy between the different components in the systems, and that could help to eliminate the need for gain and additional things in the music chain that could influence the sound. I just keep coming back to liking how even a little gain sounds batter to me.

ZM,

B1T = B1 with Korg Triode?
Old 11th April 2021, 05:34 PM   #8
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

What Preamp to Build?
B1T was limited run of Papa's B1 with autoformer for gain

as far as I know, not being sold

Pa obviously chickened, being frighten that he wouldn't be able to satisfy quantity demands

Old 11th April 2021, 05:34 PM   #9
william2001 is offline william2001  United States
diyAudio Member

What Preamp to Build?
B1T = I'm guessing that's the B1 w/ autoformer gain that Nelson talked about at Burning Amp 2017.
Current system = WBA18 linestage + Sony VFET SE lottery amp #044

Last edited by william2001; 11th April 2021 at 05:35 PM. Reason: *ha! same time....
Old 11th April 2021, 05:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

What Preamp to Build?
Thanks. Will look up the B1T.

What Preamp to Build?Hide this!Advertise here!