DIY Sony VFET lottery discussion

Hey everyone!

Hoping someone can shed some light on this amp.

I’ve seen specs for 4 and 8 ohm loads but what is it for 16ohm?

Running a Pair of TAD TD4002 drivers which are 16ohm nominal.

I know I only need a few watts but just curious to see what output is.

Thanks!

Good luck to everyone who entered and thanks to Jason and Nelson for making this lottery possible!

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Dear Nelson, Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas you have passed on to us.

Hey, quit trying to steal my kissing up!

But 100% agree. Love the fact the man and company that sells 4 and 5 digit amps gives us the ACA for under $400 shipped. Been using the ACA as my computer audio amp and it's perfect. No noise, none, and just sounds good.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Round 2 winners announced

The winners for round 2 have now been drawn. Congratulations to the members below.

For everyone else - thank you for participating. This was always going to be tough, with just 1 amp available for every 12 members who wanted one. Nonetheless I hope that this this exercise was a fun and entertaining (if no doubt nerve wracking) diversion from everyday life during this difficult year for you.

A reminder that this very limited supply of amplifier kits have been produced not-for-profit as a way to say thank you to everyone for their contributions over the years. There was never going to be enough for everyone to build one, but everyone was able to at least participate in the lottery.

If you missed out on getting this one - don't worry, there's more coming in the future. You'll just need a little patience. If you entered this lottery you will be given priority for those future offerings.

Any profits generated from this exercise have been and will be donated directly to the nominated registered charities. People purchasing the kits can choose to "tip" at checkout (many did) and we have donated 100% of the tip on their behalf. Many members have also made independent donations to these good causes.

If anyone else feels inclined to make a donation, please use the links on the following page so your donation can be counted towards our goal.

Donations to two great charities

So far we have raised $1,999 for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and $2,137 for the Prostate Cancer Foundation.

So... without further ado.... the round 2 winners are (sorted alphabetically):

a007udio
abx74
adralac
aleph5
allvey
angcl
antealta
aphileneil
astouffer
baobei
bbakertx
bbm3
bdp
bmac56
booja30
c0redump
chede
d_arionj
dane
danskercher
davelang
davem
davidjt
edzard
enochrome
fencki
gary s
gloubou
hayenc
helmutholz
hifibluedevil
indigent audio
invaderzim
jamayfie
jim hodgson
jimmieallen
johnny canuck
jr_w
jtomshine
jzatopa
kannan_s
kcdonahue
kevingan
lukyk
lykkedk
manniraj
milkduds
mjensen
monk55
mordikai
mravinsky
myleftear
nashbap
nicoch58
njgale
nycone
olen
paulski
perkri
plasnu
prasi
propitious
qwertyl
relder
rewind
rif
robin de wolf
rpafenberg
rush
s3llz
signal lost
spind
suchasound
swammonland
ticknpop
torh
tunasto
twocents
vinylkid58
vitorio
vunce
wg45
williamichang
woofertester
wwwtttwww
yb100
ylab
zen mod

Can all these members please ensure their diyAudio email address is correct, as we will be emailing you with details of how to make your purchase in a day or so. If you haven't heard from us after 24 hours please contact the store helpdesk at contact@diyaudiostore.com.

STATS DEBRIEF
==========

As with the last round, the drawing was performed at random, according to the rules, and without fear or favor.

• Total entrants (lottery entry thread plus round 1 server-overload offline entries): 1,475
  • Round 1 winners: 88
  • Entrants for round 2 after removing round 1 winners: 1,387
  • Total tickets: 15,144
  • Round 1 winner tickets removed from pool: 5,850
  • Tickets at start of round 2 drawing: 9,294
  • Tickets eliminated during round 2 drawing: 4,850
  • Tickets remaining (if there was a round 3): 4,444

NOTE: INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING FOR ROUND 2 IS DHL EXPRESS ONLY
=============================================

This round, we are requiring that all international shipments of VFETs ship with DHL Express.

Last time we drew 88 of 90 allowing 2 for shipping mistakes. We lost 4 due to problems with lower reliability services. Shipping during COVID is still fraught with problems. While the store guarantees you'll (eventually) get what you pay for no matter what service you choose, these VFETs can't be easily replaced. Nelson has graciously offered to replace the two we didn't have replacements for, from round 1.

We added DHL Express to the store's shipping options this month, spurred by the EU's July 1st changes in tax collection laws. This service is "delivered duties paid" which means no "box opening fees", no customs delays and no more to pay. DHL Express is a premium shipping service, both fast and reliable, and we have negotiated a deep discount on their rates for you. All VFET shipments are required to ship with DHL Express.

EPILOGUE
======

Thank you again to every diyAudio member for participating, their good will, and generous donations. I'm very proud of this community.

As for the future - we're always listening and learning, and will strive to improve every aspect of how we do things in the future. Right now a lot of ground work is being laid for better things in the months ahead. I hope you'll enjoy the improvements to the site, forum, and product offerings that are planned for later this year.

Sigh, I guess it wasn't meant to be, as I'm listening to my lovely AJ. And, to be sure, another project would have added to some complications on the domestic front ;-) But congratulations to the winners- it sure is a beaut; and even bigger congratulations to the organizers who put this all together and executed it flawlessly. I never cease to be amazed at this community, the millions of person-hours it represents in help, advice, counsel and just plain ol' enthusiasm.