Ever have a power supply/transformer fail in mid play?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Too lazy to read every post - apologies

1) Have you tried running your amp from a lab power supply just to be sure no damage was done to the amp?
2) What transformers were used in your build?
3) Any weird loose connections or poorly crimper connectors etc?
4) Do all solder joints look good?
5) Always be careful tightening a transformer down (not too tight), you don't want to do damage to the insulated windings

I have worked on a transformer failure task at work - cause was due to operating the transformer at elevated temperatures, causing crack growth on the insulated windings which eventually led to shorted windings.
Your transformer could possibly be damaged.

I will go back and read more.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I am inclined to agree. I thought connections at first, due to the "works fine now but not later" nature of problem. After running fine some while, it did it again.

I was watching close, definitely the CL-60 that smoked.

Since I am in the middle of a few builds, I'm inclined to
Reassemble the Aleph J in it's original case (problem is in other amp, originally M2). That would clear amp board.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Too lazy to read every post - apologies

1) Have you tried running your amp from a lab power supply just to be sure no damage was done to the amp?
2) What transformers were used in your build?
3) Any weird loose connections or poorly crimper connectors etc?
4) Do all solder joints look good?
5) Always be careful tightening a transformer down (not too tight), you don't want to do damage to the insulated windings

I have worked on a transformer failure task at work - cause was due to operating the transformer at elevated temperatures, causing crack growth on the insulated windings which eventually led to shorted windings.
Your transformer could possibly be damaged.

I will go back and read more.

1 no, I don't have a lab power supply...that needs to be remedied.

2 Antek 500 VA 18+18

3 yes, rectifiers using connectors, thought I made sure of tightness, replacements will be soldered.

4 solder joints appear good, but I am removing power supply board for better examination of its under side and associated wiring..

5 yes, snug but not over right.

I have ordered a pair of the Avel-lindberg transformers you pointed out in the M2x thread.

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Aleph J board removed. Other amp, (originally my Aleph J) removed M2 board. Getting ready to put Aleph J back together for test.

Cleaned up all power supply board solder points, rewiring power supply without switch.

Have some different trans on the way, adding new bridge rectifiers to order for other projects

Problem amp has power supply removed, transformer and 3502 bridges as well. Nothing looks hot or cooked. Still suspecting dead bridge or problem with transformer.

I would normally assume, due to being "fixed" once that it would be connection problem, but transformer is likely problem.

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Aleph J back to single chassis format (not in "problem amp, the other original aleph J chassis) turned on via variac, reset bias and offset and its been cooking for a while. Just put back in system.:confused:

My thoughts are this will work fine and problem is with other chassis power supply. I dont have replacement rectifiers on hand and will need to order some, already have transformers coming, they were for another amp but I can test with them for now.

Russellc

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The reassembled AlephJ has been working flawlessly for a couple days now. Always refreshing to hear this amp, really a nice piece.

This narrows at least to point I am certain it is power supply. The caps look fine, board looks fine (speaking of "problem" amp) although I have empty teabag power supply boards but don't really suspect board problem.

Fairly certain we have rectifier possibly failing, or bad transformer that like pico thought, goes bad once certain temp is met. I could see a transformer doing that but I don't know if a bridge would intermittently fail, or simply work or not work when going bad.

Waiting for parts.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yup. Transformers on way. Rectifiers are screwed tightly to the perforated inner base...maybe not sinking rectifier heat away?

Now, which part to try first, rectifier or transformer. Think I will trade out transformer first. Is such a failure in rectifier block measurable?

Russellc

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yup. Transformers on way. Rectifiers are screwed tightly to the perforated inner base...maybe not sinking rectifier heat away?

Now, which part to try first, rectifier or transformer. Think I will trade out transformer first. Is such a failure in rectifier block measurable?

Russellc

bridges are having perfect cooling if bolted to base plate

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.