Ever have a power supply/transformer fail in mid play?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Also, I use a lot of Toroidy (Transformatory toroidalne - Producent transformatorow Toroidy.pl). Great transformers, I have always been satisfied with them. They do custom transformers as well. Shipping to Germany is a bit expensive, but TME (Electronic components. Distributor, online shop – Transfer Multisort Elektronik) sells their standard value transformers as well with less shipping cost. (though TME seems to only have some of their tube amp transformers in stock at the moment)
Regards, Claas

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The replacement Antek 500 VA 18/18v transformer came today. Installed and amp is playing nicely. Amp is very quiet. After it plays for a while, a few evenings or so listening I guess I will swap them back to 1/2 and 1/2 mono blocks.

They are very nice amps, this M2 and the sister Aleph J, and I am getting used to having two separate amps again.

I have some already stuffed Aleph J and M2 boards with matched outputs for them. Maybe I should get a third Deluxe 4 chassis, and build a single amp, but 1/2 Aleph J and 1/2 M2. Then I could use M2 and Aleph J as separate power amps, but If I wanted mono blocks, switch off one channel of the stereo M2 or Aleph J. Select appropriate channel on the 1/2 and 1/2 amp, and presto, mono blocks.

Or, better but most expensive, buy 2 of the 400 mm deep 4U chassis and build dual mono and be done with it. Guess I better snag another pair of the A-V transformers for this?:spin:

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Interesting note on transformer with open primary. Antek sent out a replacement right away and it is in amp and working fine.

I emailed Antek asking if they wanted me to return the transformer with one open primary that they replaced.

A bit puzzled by response, they told me just to keep it and use it if I needed a 400 VA transformer...

Am I missing something? Maybe they misunderstood
What I asked, I didn't think a transformer with open primary would work? (It was a 500VA transformer)

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Oh. I didn't think that all the way through! I was thinking in terms of having both sets of secondary leads available, but yes 1/2 is still operational of course.

Not sure what to do with it as a single primary. Does only one set of secondary sets then make voltage? I guess I can hang on to it and see if a use, even temporary.

That said it might be of interest to my own curiosity to open this sucker up and find the problem. I'm thinking somehow a primary isn't connected...either that or a break somewhere and I wouldn't have the patience.:whazzat:

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don't know what happened. Sometimes things happen, attention diverted, wrong box, maybe it tested good and was then damaged? There was no evidence of that, both transformer as well as packing was perfect, box showed no signs of stress.

IDK, but they did send out a new one. I have bought a lot of transformers from Antek. The original one is the only transformer I have had fail, and that was after several years of service. I rack up the dead out of box primary as an anomaly. Antek provides a product at a very reasonable cost. I think the 500 VA version I used is 55 bucks or so.The profit margin can't be that great.

For all the amps I've built with Antek, that seems ok to me. That said, the Avel-Linberg at about the same price at Parts Express (albeit 250 VA) is a great deal for dual mono First Watt clone builders here.

Maybe I should re build the 1/2 and 1/2 mono blocks, remove the Antek and use the A-L transformers for the mono blocks.

Could then use the 2 500 VA Anteks in another case for a remote First Watt clone power supply? Then most of my builds could be in Deluxe 4 cases with plenty of room once it no longer houses a power supply.

Then I would run afowl of my original problem of using it in multiple systems. Best plan is 2 4U 400 mm cases, and build dual mono amps in single chassis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.