Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricks

Joined 2019
Paid Member
labor of love

Yep. I got my 3M taps. I don't know if I have more electrical stuff or more specialized tools hanging around.:D Not going to wait and not going to drill and tap each of the UMS positions. Only what I need. And, you (I) always seem to learn something.:D
They might be missing the market though. Hey, it's their loss and our gain:D
Thanks,
Don

PS: I don't want ZM to think I don't read his stuff, I just can't remember it all.
At least I remember "zero damn resistance" "or" something else.:D

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The only holes that can't be avoided and must be there are those for output devices.

It is easy to break a tap. Get proper cutting fluid and take your time. At the slightest resistance, stop, back tap out clean and restart. Get proper tools to smooth any roughness from top of hole, which will stick through pad and short out device.

I used a small cone shaped bit for counter sinking screws.

Russellc

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
even I'm not reading all my stuff :rofl:

be happy that English isn't my native , so I'm even slower than in my native , in transposition of thinking to written ......... 95% of the time I'm just giving up writing at all

or you'll have an ZMessay every day , in Da Pub

:rofl:

....... besides , there can be just one Singing Bush around ...... and that's not me :clown:

Joined 2019
Paid Member
clues

The only holes that can't be avoided and must be there are those for output devices.

It is easy to break a tap. Get proper cutting fluid and take your time. At the slightest resistance, stop, back tap out clean and restart. Get proper tools to smooth any roughness from top of hole, which will stick through pad and short out device.

I used a small cone shaped bit for counter sinking screws.

Russellc

Thanks for the clues. Don't want to ask advice for getting a broken off tap out of the hole.:) Thanks for all your other posts also. It is so helpful almost hard to explain.
Don

Joined 2019
Paid Member
no danger

even I'm not reading all my stuff :rofl:

be happy that English isn't my native , so I'm even slower than in my native , in transposition of thinking to written ......... 95% of the time I'm just giving up writing at all

or you'll have an ZMessay every day , in Da Pub

:rofl:

....... besides , there can be just one Singing Bush around ...... and that's not me :clown:

I looked at the customs letter I got in my package and believe me there is no danger of me learning your language. And, the slowed down version of ZM is plenty fast for me - especially since I still have to decode some of it.;)
:D

Yep. I got my 3M taps. I don't know if I have more electrical stuff or more specialized tools hanging around.:D Not going to wait and not going to drill and tap each of the UMS positions. Only what I need. And, you (I) always seem to learn something.:D

These spiral style taps are incredibly more forgiving than regular straight style taps. You still have to be gentle—but they are 100% more noob friendly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JSAFB92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The first time I drilled and tapped, I was all in a wad. Do I need a drill press? will the threads be all lose and sloppy? No its very easy, just take your time. Make sure you drill correct size hole for the tap in question. take your time, use cutting fluid.

At the start, it is easy, but as you turn the tap in, you will feel a little resistance. Stop, thread it out, wipe off tap, lube and begin again.

Holes will have nice threads, you will see. Biggest problem is little metal curly tails that will find there way every where. Its really very easy, just don't be tempted to keep cutting in when ANY resistance is felt. doesn't take much to snap one off.

Russellc

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hiatus, Kits shipments

Just replied today to Soren , and realized that I didn't wrote that "officially" , so:

Do not worry ....
Dunno what's situation with Corona in every particular country , but Serbia is, as majority of Eu, almost totally closed - no flights out and in , so I resume that Post Service isn't exactly functional

Better wait a little , than trying unnecessary ..... somehow I'm calmer if parts are on my shelf than rotting in some Cargo Storage ; in this moment I have 5 shipments to me rotting at Serbian Customs , and 3 on the way to Serbia ..... nobody knows where are they....go figure ......

Hiatus

stay well and be safe!

The small light in the tunnel of this social isolation / work from home is that I get to hear the SissySIT every day, all day. It is such a beautiful thing. I also took the opportunity to measure the offset when running for several hours and what a wonderful thing to see one side at around 10mV and the other at mid 30s. Very happy but it does run hot, can only hold it for a few seconds although the heat gun only reads 48 degC. The sits are at 70 degC.

I keep hearing a bush singing my name but it is easy to ignore when the siren sissy sings.

Keep well all, especially ZM and his Pa