Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricks

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
cal , there is a massive first post in thread

be sure that you understand each and every line ........ or mistake can cost dearly

0R1/3W - temporary put in neg rail , so you can place mV meter across and measure Iq, while setting the amp initially

you can use for same purpose R in CRC PSU filter , if you have it

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Thanks for the picture Cal! You made my life much easier!

I was initially bummed out when I bought the chassis and then realized there was a deeper version that I didn’t buy. I went to 4U deluxe and clicked order. A drop box for the deep version would be handy. In any case I was going to drill an L bracket and mount the board, then put the SIT up high. Your picture made a light bulb go on. I did a 6-32 tap and test mounted a channel. Left and right will be swapped to mount upside down - no big deal.

Attachments

• BDC5574C-40C5-4B50-B455-6D0659C1DE70.jpg
    BDC5574C-40C5-4B50-B455-6D0659C1DE70.jpg
    957.6 KB · Views: 294
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I need a bit of help troubleshooting, please.

I got one channel all the way through...

.... Quote ZM - "if you're in ballpark of - say- 150-160mV and nice offset , put lid on and wait 10min , observing readouts all the time

coffee or tea are nice to have in proximity , and use it ........"

I powered off and connected the second channel. It is not behaving, and I cannot determine why. The initial offset and voltage seem fine. However, when I go to increase the Iq, the voltage does not increase per the norm. The voltage stays the same at 9.1mV or so, but the offset increases steadily and more rapidly than the norm with each turn of P1.

Here are a few pictures of the board in question. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1525.jpg
    IMG_1525.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_1527.jpg
    IMG_1527.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 264
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
...... The voltage stays the same at 9.1mV or so, but the offset increases steadily and more rapidly than the norm with each turn of P1.

Here are a few pictures of the board in question. Any help is greatly appreciated.

try fiddling with in same time with DC Offset trimpot ; can't see properly wires on SIT , so check did you wired it properly ..... need to tell that just in case

also confirm that you have proper 5V at output of 7805 reg

Perhaps a dumb question... is it necessary to use goop/grease with the insulation pad for the tokin sit?

if so called silicon pad - no goop
if mica , then goop

cal , there is a massive first post in thread

be sure that you understand each and every line ........ or mistake can cost dearly

0R1/3W - temporary put in neg rail , so you can place mV meter across and measure Iq, while setting the amp initially

you can use for same purpose R in CRC PSU filter , if you have it

Thanks ZM. Life's been stressful and apparently my brain is filling in a lot of information. I must have known that last night, but already forgot it today. Had already decided not to powerup today and wait for tomorrow, so fortunately I didn't do anything (additionally) damaging.

I was initially bummed out when I bought the chassis and then realized there was a deeper version that I didn’t buy. I went to 4U deluxe and clicked order. A drop box for the deep version would be handy. In any case I was going to drill an L bracket and mount the board, then put the SIT up high. Your picture made a light bulb go on. I did a 6-32 tap and test mounted a channel. Left and right will be swapped to mount upside down - no big deal.

Glad I could do something to help. Good to give since I've been taking so much.

Poor ZM... Send out a bunch of boards and then get a ton of tech support requests while everyone builds.

Thanks for everything you do.

I need a bit of help troubleshooting, please.

I got one channel all the way through...

.... Quote ZM - "if you're in ballpark of - say- 150-160mV and nice offset , put lid on and wait 10min , observing readouts all the time

coffee or tea are nice to have in proximity , and use it ........"

I powered off and connected the second channel. It is not behaving, and I cannot determine why. The initial offset and voltage seem fine. However, when I go to increase the Iq, the voltage does not increase per the norm. The voltage stays the same at 9.1mV or so, but the offset increases steadily and more rapidly than the norm with each turn of P1.

Looks to me like you've got your SIT connections backwards... I copied the wiring from ZM's image below. Center pin to the inside-most connection, ground to the middle, flying resistor to the outside connection:

Attachments

• WP_20180807_19_41_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180807_19_41_51_Pro.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 233

Also, your version looks prettier, but no tapping at all required if you put the boards and SIT in the position I did. They've got an extra hole in the center and that puts the SIT at the perfect distance to go into another pre-existing tap.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Looks to me like you've got your SIT connections backwards... I copied the wiring from ZM's image below. Center pin to the inside-most connection, ground to the middle, flying resistor to the outside connection:

I think you nailed it. I just got home, and I'm beat. I'll fix in the morning. Thank you! :cheers: :D

I tried to be so careful and look at the schematic. I did not notice that the left and right were opposite. I looked at the little "line" on the board. Hopefully I did not damage anything...

Edited to add... Left and right are wired differently, correct? Just triple confirming. Right set up perfectly... but I want to be super-sure.

Continue to live and learn!

Last edited:
I think you nailed it. I just got home, and I'm beat. I'll fix in the morning. Thank you! :cheers: :D

I tried to be so careful and look at the schematic. I did not notice that the left and right were opposite. I looked at the little "line" on the board. Hopefully I did not damage anything...

Edited to add... Left and right are wired differently, correct? Just triple confirming. Right set up perfectly... but I want to be super-sure.

Continue to live and learn!

Yep. You can see the other channel in Zen's build for Miko in the SissySIT thread: SissySIT (photo lifted from there and attached below)

Attachments

• IMG-7616.jpg
    IMG-7616.jpg
    769.2 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I need a bit of help troubleshooting, ......

........can't see properly wires on SIT , so check did you wired it properly ..... need to tell that just in case ......

wrote that this night , Today, 04:23 AM ........ forgot to power on that anti-mosquito thingie and had few harassing me , so I woke up ...... had a look at Greedy Boyz space ...... pretty much logical that I didn't saw clearly first pic - definitely miss-wired SIT

One more clarification before power-up given my trimpot issues... For P1, it should read 0 ohms between pins 2 & 3, correct (not between pins 2 & 1... Which should read 2k).

Thanks.

And I should have pointed out that it was ZM who identified the SIT miswiring earlier, I just gave the picture...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ZM and @Cal3713 - ......

We're cooking :D

hope that cooked meal will make us all green :)

one thing - even if I would always stay immensely thrilled with Edcor 600:15K value of sound vs. price ( ridiculous!) , optional Cinemags are few spears above , speaking strictly about sound and ignoring price difference

well worth changing them ...... not just my impression - our dear 'Talian friend expressed the same , somewhere on start of the thread (or maybe in some other Sissy thread , there are zillion of them :rofl: )

Joined 2019
Paid Member
hope that cooked meal will make us all green :)

one thing - even if I would always stay immensely thrilled with Edcor 600:15K value of sound vs. price ( ridiculous!) , optional Cinemags are few spears above , speaking strictly about sound and ignoring price difference

well worth changing them ...... not just my impression - our dear 'Talian friend expressed the same , somewhere on start of the thread (or maybe in some other Sissy thread , there are zillion of them :rofl: )
ZM - Thanks so much for the information. I had some of the Edcors left from my M2x build, so I used those. Also, with my noobishness, they looked easier to install...

Once I listen for a bit, get my wiring cleaned up, and try it with and without the BW cathode follower - I may be up for some desoldering and trying the Cinemags. I saw a lot of discussion re: core material that I did not understand. As a noob, I go simple. I get a working amp, and THEN I try to break it with upgrades :rofl: The dual mono was fun, but that was a big change for me.

Note - me being impatient and not wanting to wait for the delivery time of the Cinemags maaaaay have also been a factor. :D

One more clarification before power-up given my trimpot issues... For P1, it should read 0 ohms between pins 2 & 3, correct (not between pins 2 & 1... Which should read 2k).

Thanks.

And I should have pointed out that it was ZM who identified the SIT miswiring earlier, I just gave the picture...

Sorry, missed a question mark in here: For P1, it should read 0 ohms between pins 2 & 3, correct?