Build This MoFo!

Is something like the attached sketch possible as MOFO input buffer? Im to stupid to Figure!
I have found the Mofo so incredibly transparent. Unequalled by my diy efforts of F5, F4 etc. be a shame to potentially sully this with input buffers.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20211127_124241.jpg
    20211127_124241.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 677
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it is possible, but ........

arrange DC connection directly between buffer and MoFo, so biasing of entire shebang is made on JFet gate, no need for separate biasing of mosfet itself

so, bummer then, you'll need another buffer - in front of autoformer

or adequately low Rout of preceding stage

search around for "Lazy Singing Bush", even if not confirmed in vivo ( sometimes I'm super -reserved), you can find few details there

hey guys,

tonight I had a silly idea. dunno if its published elsewhrer

I'm using puck-mofos/50v as a balanced amp with a balzenpre. Just with the normal output-cap and they sound very nice.

The thing is: why not using them with an auto-bias-servo and without the caps. Just for the fun of it…and no: caps are not the problem,:p I'm just a little bored…

Can that work? The “right” amp has its normal bias-setting. The "left" gets it's bias from the opa. Hoping, that the bias never become negative, a single-ended voltage-supply would do it for the opa...

The irfp250 are just drawn for "help". In reality, they are the well known ixfn140 external on the heatsinks…just like the coils...

Attachments

• Mofo_bal_Servo.JPG
    Mofo_bal_Servo.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 562
  • Mofo_bal_Servo_board.JPG
    Mofo_bal_Servo_board.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 551
hey brennwa,

thanks for your reply.

i`m a little afraid of the thermal runaway, without the servo. The only chance of getting dc at the outputs is the difference between the coils, but not the different vgs/thermal side-effects/...of the mosfets. The coils are more stable in their resistants which triggers the bias on the opposite mosfet, than the mosfet.

...theoretically the servo is obsolete by setting the bias...It just make me feel save and sound

if you can explain my wife, why i had bought big expensive coils, throw them now away and buy new ones...then i will buy the cross-coupled ones:fight:

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Ooh, wow... These sound addictive :)
Did bias adjustment this afternoon and couldn't wait to try and listen.

Powered by a lab supply, on my test speakers, with an iPad as source through a Korg B1 and a cable mess. Never thought it could sound like this 😁 looking forward to get the MoFos finished and to try them in my main system.

Attachments

• DCA26F00-7409-45DB-995D-4DBDD431EAAD.jpeg
    DCA26F00-7409-45DB-995D-4DBDD431EAAD.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 450
Joined 2020
Paid Member
Interesting. Earlier posts postulated that a Korg B1 + MoFo wouldn't be such a great match; what is the maximum voltage swing on your Korg B1?

Kind regards,
Drew
I listened to a Korg B1 + MoFo combination for the better part of two months as my main system. I thought it was an improvement over an ACA (better bass response), and the B1K seemed to smooth out the high-end output of my antique Sony CD player, but I don't play loud. I'm now back onto a passive transformer-based preamp with some voltage gain in front of the MoFo. Even cranked to full on I don't get a ton of punch out of the amp, just less distortion than with the B1K. I guess this is a long way of saying that depending on your listening levels, a B1K may be just fine in front of MoFos.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Interesting. Earlier posts postulated that a Korg B1 + MoFo wouldn't be such a great match; what is the maximum voltage swing on your Korg B1?

Kind regards,
Drew

It was a somewhat "sweet" sounding combo - to my ears it sounded very well. I did not play to loud and on 90 dB sensitive speakers.
I have just moved the "finished" Mofos to my main system. on 92 dB sensituve speakers they sound absolutely wonderful :) even fed by a B1 v1. Able to play loud enough for normal listening :) Next is to try with a WBA18 linestage.

I think they deserve a more permanent home at some point :D

Attachments

• mofos.png
    mofos.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 466
It was a somewhat "sweet" sounding combo - to my ears it sounded very well. I did not play to loud and on 90 dB sensitive speakers.
I have just moved the "finished" Mofos to my main system. on 92 dB sensituve speakers they sound absolutely wonderful :) even fed by a B1 v1. Able to play loud enough for normal listening :) Next is to try with a WBA18 linestage.

I think they deserve a more permanent home at some point :D
look perfect leave as is ....

woody, I see your point. A source follower is inherently very linear, so one might think that the characteristics of the device do not matter very much (SIT vs. MosFET).

There is Ben Mah's Fokin, which uses Tokin as a source follower with a choke load:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-choke-loaded-2sk180-lamp.366312/post-6803744
Also, not long ago, Nelson Pass released the Sony VFET SE amps, which are source followers: https://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_diy_sony_vfet_pt2.pdf

I don't know if anyone directly compared a SIT and an IRFP (or similar MosFET) in a MoFo. I once thought about a circlotron, and I compared the SIT/THF51 with MOS/IRFP150 here. They did have slightly different harmonic distortion profiles.