Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Build This MoFo!
Build This MoFo!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2020, 05:10 AM   #2701
autox is offline autox  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for pointing out these things about transformers. Now I know what my next round of reading will be on.

This is starting to look a lot like Susan Parker's Zeus SE pre: Zeus SE MOSFET Preamp Line Driver
Old 1st July 2020, 05:06 PM   #2702
autox is offline autox  United States
diyAudio Member

Upon further listening, the tone is off. It's missing a warm, full, lower mid-range. There's plenty of detail, and it sounds great for lighter, acoustic content. But anything rock - Dire Straits, Santana, Jethro Tull, Rolling Stones - it sounds somehow anemic, flat, no body or oomph.

I tinkered with the wiring on the Edcor without any luck. Using the full primary, which raises the DCR to 60, made a clear difference for the worse, which I believe is a function of the ACP+ being tuned for 30R. Taking the gain from 16x down to 8x didn't improve things.

A white noise test with my phone's RTA app didn't show anything wrong with the FR. Next chance I get, I'll try wiring the Edcor as an autoformer, as well as bringing the ratio down further.
Old Yesterday, 03:31 AM   #2703
Cinco is offline Cinco  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi autox, I suggest that you take a look at Papa's Official M2 Schematic

The tranformer as shown in his schematic is wired as auto-transformer for 15dB of gain (all you need is the transformer and R5 and C1 for freq comp). Your ACP+ would easily drive it with MoFo as load.

ACP+ gain of 9dB + autoformer gain of 15dB = 24dB gain total.
With 1V source that's over 15V. About 28Wrms into 8ohms.

It's not the DCR that determines the transformers impedence, it's the turns ratio, output Z of amp driving it and input Z of the load...

I learned lots from ZM about this stuff and in particular autoformer ins and outs.
A good place to start studies is Pumpkin Preamp thread.

Cinco
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM   #2704
Cinco is offline Cinco  United States
diyAudio Member

With the XSM10K:150 transformer, here's what I would try for auto-transformer wiring.
Since you chose a step-down transformer, notice the input goes in the output and the output goes in the input. Not ideal but may still work ok.

Luckily your ACP has less than 1 ohm output impedance.

By taking output from pin 2, you'd have a 2:8.2 + 2 (about 1:5) ratio, about 14 dB gain.

Compare from the HP out then the line out and see which one you prefer.

Cinco
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XSM autoformer.jpg (69.2 KB, 57 views)

Build This MoFo!Hide this!Advertise here!