B1 with Korg Triode

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
After building the Korg 6P1 preamp I realize that the NuTube is nothing more than a vacuum fluorescent display (VFD) with two active elements. Has anyhow ever tried to make an amplifier triode from a run of the mill 1980’s calculator/VCR/appliance display?

blob_H6rUftSo3x.blob

10-Bit Vacuum Fluorescent Display VFD Display LCD Nixie Tube Display Module | eBay

Seems one could parallel enough 7 digit segments to get the plate current that was desired.

Wikipedia says that some ham radio people made amps with a VFD device (not Korg NuTube).

Last edited:
WOW, X, never knew this but it makes sense.........
The only issue might be linear operation, like a Trench mosfet these VFDs are set up as switches so you might have to take care about plate dissipation, just the same issue as the Korg.
Generally distortion from triodes seems to follow the loading. It should be around 2-3 times the plate impedance, and that's probably the reason the distortion dropped markedly when you increased the plate load from 270k to 470k.

Terrific find and much cheaper.........

Hugh

Finished for now:

IMG_0514.jpg
IMG_0515.jpg
IMG_0516.jpg

Swapped out all the cables and the ALPS for TKD pot and put the Elma switch in. I've mounted the Korg on 6mm perspex strip with foam sandwiched behind it using double sided tape. I've put that whole assembly behind the front window using standoffs.

The gold plated solid core is a pain in the bum to use but that and getting shot of the Alps pot has this thing kicking ***. Feet are really moving all by themselves.

FYI I'm listening to Tidal from Nativ Streamer and my Sugden SDT1 CD player via Cambridge DAC Magic.

Thanks Nelson - 106db Horns and single ended class A transistor Amps and Korg Triode what fab mix:):):)

Very nice work Steve! With the Perspex bottom chassis where you have mounted the B1K board, do you no longer have electrical continuity between the board mounting holes and the metal portion of the chassis? I ask as I want to insert some vibration-isolating stand-offs to mount my B1K board to reduce Korg Triode microphony. Some on this thread have mentioned that the board requires a connection to chassis ground via the mounting holes and stand-offs, but there is no earth ground for the chassis using the pioneer kit-supplied wall wart power supply.

Also, was the switch from the Alps to TKD volume pot worth the extra expense? I really like the B1K as-is with the kit-supplied Alps pot, but some have said that a better pot or stepped attenuator should improve the B1K’s performance.

Last edited: