B1 with Korg Triode

I build the B1 korg some time ago.
I did a test connecting the b1 without pot using it as buffer, and with pot alps RK27 100K (from mouser).
It sound much more clear without pot, so my pot degrades sound quality, weird because I did not expect it.
Would a stepped attenuator be a major difference in sound clarity?
It degrades sound quality because it is carbon and is very noisy. Go for TKD. Stepped have a very short lifetime because they get polluted. That can destroy your speakers when it happens. When contact to ground is gone then your speakers will blow as well. They will get full power from your amplifier.

I often see here that many of us encounter problems of microphony with their double triode Korg B1: there must be some tubes with more microphony than others! I must say that concerning my preamplifier, I do not see this phenomenon, even by striking the box with the finger and I did not take special precautions to isolate or dampen the box, the tube is just welded directly to the circuit board and glued on it with the two self-adhesive double-sided foam pads provided ...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
It degrades sound quality because it is carbon and is very noisy. Go for TKD. Stepped have a very short lifetime because they get polluted. That can destroy your speakers when it happens. When contact to ground is gone then your speakers will blow as well. They will get full power from your amplifier.

Which TKD, as there are several different model #.

I often see here that many of us encounter problems of microphony with their double triode Korg B1: there must be some tubes with more microphony than others! I must say that concerning my preamplifier, I do not see this phenomenon, even by striking the box with the finger and I did not take special precautions to isolate or dampen the box, the tube is just welded directly to the circuit board and glued on it with the two self-adhesive double-sided foam pads provided ...

I've built 4 B1k's and did notice that one was for more 'sensitive/ringing' to external forces than the others, in fact I gave up as it was so bad and ordered a replacement. I dropped the replacement in and all was well...

Joined 2011
Paid Member
TKD potentiometers are on sale today at parts-connexion dot com, for USD 25 below the everyday price.

_

Attachments

• today.png
    today.png
    168.2 KB · Views: 414
Good deal, but not for me in belgium when adding shipping and customs, 75$ becomes 115€. Hificollective (110€ shipped) seems to be the best place to get them in europe, better order before brexit :) to avoid customs. Any suggestions for buying it in europe?

Its a bummer that I have to buy a 110€ potentiometer for the b1 korg, that is half the cost of the entire preamp. The Alps RK27 cost me 32€, so not cheap too.

What does nelson pass use as potentiometer for the b1 korg, does he use TKD?

Good deal, but not for me in belgium when adding shipping and customs, 75$ becomes 115€. Hificollective (110€ shipped) seems to be the best place to get them in europe, better order before brexit :) to avoid customs. Any suggestions for buying it in europe?

Its a bummer that I have to buy a 110€ potentiometer for the b1 korg, that is half the cost of the entire preamp. The Alps RK27 cost me 32€, so not cheap too.

What does nelson pass use as potentiometer for the b1 korg, does he use TKD?

I got mine from here Acoustic-Dimension, high-end audio and components for tube audio

I have had no problems with my 10k Alps RK27 in my Korg. Some day I might measure the distortion of it using my Focusrite setup (loop back test vs. RK27 in the loop). I feel confident that it does not add anything to the sound compared to other pots. People never question the cheap Bourns trimmers we use to adjust bias and offset in our amps?

Before you spend XX$ on TKD pots you may have a look at this video:
YouTube

Re The microphonics - not a new problem perhaps a turntable like approach is required.

I'm thinking mount the board on a thick slab of acrylic and replace the lid with some clear acrylic too. Just less resonant and less likely to transmit sharp knocks. As long as the board is still grounded this would work.

Need to keep my wiring tidy to make a clear top work though.