Paid Member
;)

Attachments

• ZM helmet ride.jpg
    ZM helmet ride.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 693
Hello Zen!

As always... a hard worker!

This summer I was thinking to mount trim pots in my Aleph Js so I can lower a little bit the bias of the Aleph CCS, because with 30C room temp the amps were getting quite hot and to null the output offset.
Now that I see the new front end of the Babelfish J I am very curious to try it in my Aleph Js.
Since in my Js I have some j74bl with 10ma idss I would like to use these, can I reach with them the 10ma setting that you reccommend? At what helps increasing current in the ltp?
At what current do you run the mmbf ccs? I Ask because I also have at hand some k117gr that I want to use also.

Thanks !

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
whatever JFets you have for input LTP , only important is that they're having Idss above targeted 5mA (per LTP half)

so , 10mA are good ones , being in most practical BL grade (6-12mA) and 10mA CCS will take care of their Iq

LED string thingy is fed with anything between 3-5mA ; it can be resistor or MMBF JFet , but I like 3mm greenies combined with JFet CCS sponginess

:clown:

regarding JFet LTP current - keep them at 5mA per side - that way you're having most practical values of xconductance , drain resistor value , small source degeneration (few ohms) ...... resulting in most practical OLG/CLG/NFB ratio

if you're in mood for more ballsy mosfet's gate drive , either put 2+2 JFets in LTP (doubling current to 20mA and halving drain resistor) or put emiter follower (20-25mA Iq) in between

that would give ~6db THD decrease

edit - regarding summer and heatsinks - don't be skimpy :clown: - just make Babysitter for amp

Last edited:
It`s a nice ideea and I thought about it some time ago but what are the chances that used with monoblocks it could finish with different temps for each amp ?
When you say ~6db THD decrease you are talking about entire amp or ltp?
If I paralell input devices how much would input impedance decrease?
What would be the input impedance of the V2 with a single pair of j74 ?

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
just piggyback additional JFets , double current though LTP , halve drain resistor

input impedance will stay the same , being dominated with values of input/CLG defining resistors

though , it's best that each LTP JFet is having own gate stopper resitor

~6db THD decrease for entire amp , at least when using (emiter follower) buffer in between LTP and mosfet gate(s)

I am very tempted to try the iterations of the first stage you done but I still want to connect the collector of Q6 to -V as the original schematic.

I have to find a way to stuff all on a very small proto board that I will fit on top of PD board without doing a big ratsnest.

Thanks Zen for the patience!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
collector of Q6 ; it's fluffy fun residue from past , slightly ewffective in a good way only when JFets aren't cascoded (see it as anti-cascoding move :rofl: )

it stays as is mostly from fun , and in case someone won't use cascoding bjts , to spice things a little bit

so - detail pretty much irrelevant for your intention , just ignore it and connect Q6c to -V

btw- that thingie with small daughterboard and Aleph J-fication is already done several times

but , I can't remember by whom and in which threads exactly

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Looks pretty good......

I know

Have you had a chance to build it and listen? How does it compare with Aleph J?

besides working in my little service , I'm breathing old school speakers and wakoo amps , Papamps being bigger part of those in last decade

so - I did listen ; comparable to Papa's FW original , certainly not being worse :rofl:

What features do you like about your version?

this particular one made to be scalable , covering almost entire range of (previous, non-J) Aleph stable , bringing J-fication to that

besides that , easily set ........ though demanding some use of brain** :clown:

**but , I simply couldn't avoid that