Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Aleph J illustrated build guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2020, 08:12 PM   #4961
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

...where, specifically? If you are asking about with mica insulators on the power devices, it’s required. As thin as possible with no voids.
Old 7th April 2020, 08:47 PM   #4962
TungstenAudio is offline TungstenAudio  United States
diyAudio Member

Thermal grease is also required for the Aavid 4180G ceramic insulators. These have better thermal conductivity than mica or even (ungreased) Keratherm.
Old 7th April 2020, 10:09 PM   #4963
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TungstenAudio View Post
Thermal grease is also required for the Aavid 4180G ceramic insulators. These have better thermal conductivity than mica or even (ungreased) Keratherm.
I couldn't agree more! Ceramic + grease is WAAAAY cheaper than Keratherm as well. Ceramic also resists those pesky little slivers of aluminum that can easily pierce Kerathem and ground your output mosfets.
Old 8th April 2020, 01:43 AM   #4964
Mark Johnson is online now Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

Yet that crotchety old curmudgeon from Auburn California stubbornly keeps shipping world beating audio electronics gear that includes Keratherm. Why IS that? Why would he DO such a thing?
Old 8th April 2020, 01:51 AM   #4965
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

and yet, he even more likes mica and goop, smeared with fingers

addiction, I suppose

Old 9th April 2020, 10:11 AM   #4966
mpa is offline mpa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi all, I have a quick question regarding grounding of the XLR inputs on Aleph J. I have two Alephs with balanced inputs only (no rca's) and have simply connected Pin1:Gnd Pin2:+in and Pin3:-in which seems to work just fine (only a slight hum if I stick my head in the speaker!) however I found a post on page 88 of this thread whilst browsing as a refresher (I'm about to build a 3rd Aleph J ) which seems to indicate that I should have my Gnd connected to the chassis and not to the board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudio52 View Post
Hi krath, the pin 1 is the shield of the XLR connector, must be connected to the chassis and not to the circuit ground. See: 3-1 Balanced Interconnections: Grounding ( Audio Component Grounding and Interconnection )
Old 11th April 2020, 10:46 PM   #4967
quackers is offline quackers
diyAudio Member

Why any manufacturer does anything does not help a DIYer understand or anyone learn.

Isn't thermal conductivity added like parallel resistors? From the manufacturers datasheets, a Kerathem pad it has a thermal conductivity of 6.5 W/mK. The Avvid 4180g has a thermal conductivity of 15 W/mK. High performance grease is about 2 W/mK. Assuming one layer of grease (correctly applied) and one 4180g together is equal to one Keratherm, the Keratherm is a better thermal conductor by 4.7 W/mK. The grease is the limiting factor.

Regardless, if a solution works for you, it works.
Old 11th April 2020, 11:38 PM   #4968
TungstenAudio is offline TungstenAudio  United States
diyAudio Member

If the units are W/mK, then larger numbers are better. If *C/W then you want smaller numbers.
Old 11th April 2020, 11:38 PM   #4969
wowbagger is offline wowbagger  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackers View Post
Isn't thermal conductivity added like parallel resistors?
You don't add thermal conductivity directly - it's just a material property - but thermal resistances are added like series resistors.

Here's a helpful explanation: 16.4 Thermal Resistance Circuits
Old 12th April 2020, 06:40 PM   #4970
folkdeath95 is offline folkdeath95  France
diyAudio Member

Today, I took the opportunity of the containment to open my AlephJ to clean the dust inside (after five years of service, there was some).
I noticed that the sticker on the Torody transformer slipped because it seemed that the glue melted. So, after checking bias and offset settings (both were still OK, no drifting after 5 years), I decided to checked the temperatures in my amplifier.
After 1 one hour (the time to check the settings), the transformer suface temperature was 50C and inside air temperature was 39C (measured with a cooking thermometer).
After 7 hours, I measured 66C on the transformer and 43C inside the amplifier.

My amp is a "classic" DIY AlephJ, nothing fancy, I just followed the BoM given in the first message of this thread. Same with the PSU:
Click the image to open in full size.
The transformer is a 300VA Torody Supreme Grade (so it's encapsulated in epoxy and have a metal case).
Diode bridges are 35A Vishay (GBPC3502-E4/51 Vishay Semiconductors | Mouser France)
Here's a picture of the inside:
fini V2 mini.jpg

Do you think I have to worry about the transformer's temperature?

Aleph J illustrated build guideHide this!Advertise here!