Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Aleph J illustrated build guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2020, 08:11 PM   #4491
elwood625 is offline elwood625  United States
diyAudio Member

I did not stress the amplifier during the tests except to find the output voltage at clipping, 9.1v into 4 ohms.

The load I use is 4 ohms, output is 2v, for the measurements.
6L6 - There is no hum, I get the same 60 hz hash on my M2X when testing, not sure where it comes from. I spent a couple of weeks trying everything I could to get rid of it during the M2X testing, no luck. I'll retest this weekend with 0dBFS scale, I was going to increase the bias to 410 - 420mV. Living in central Wisconsin, more heat is a good thing this time of year.
Old 14th January 2020, 08:34 PM   #4492
silasmellor is online now silasmellor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Did you try using a balanced cable with the sleeve left unconnected to connect your amp to the interface?
Old 15th January 2020, 01:00 AM   #4493
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

I get faint 100Hz buzz from my Aleph J, pretty sure it is due to "insufficient" filtering.
My power supply PCB has 8 X 22,000uF/35V/105deg. The resistors (in CRC) are as per schematics: 4 X 0.47ohm on each rail.

I can hear this buzz if I place my ear right next to the woofer cone.

I think this buzz is expected and is "normal"

I also remember that 6L6 recommended "little" chokes for the power supply... I can not remember the value / the post where I saw it.... I think that with this choke, the buzz would disappear completely.
Old 15th January 2020, 01:06 AM   #4494
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

can't remember exactly how much original FW J had , but I believe it was usual arrangement of 8 x 15mF/25V for stereo PSU

so , you're good , not that you can't do more

post pictures , so we can see what's possible to do with your wiring

I have buzzing amps only on my T-Bed , which is deliberately made in pretty much worst while still functional fashion
Old 15th January 2020, 01:32 AM   #4495
codyt is offline codyt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post
I get faint 100Hz buzz from my Aleph J, pretty sure it is due to "insufficient" filtering.
My power supply PCB has 8 X 22,000uF/35V/105deg. The resistors (in CRC) are as per schematics: 4 X 0.47ohm on each rail.

I can hear this buzz if I place my ear right next to the woofer cone.

I think this buzz is expected and is "normal"

I also remember that 6L6 recommended "little" chokes for the power supply... I can not remember the value / the post where I saw it.... I think that with this choke, the buzz would disappear completely.
Snubbers at the rectifier bridge helped quiet mine, also courtesy of 6L6
Old 15th January 2020, 02:22 AM   #4496
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
can't remember exactly how much original FW J had , but I believe it was usual arrangement of 8 x 15mF/25V for stereo PSU

so , you're good , not that you can't do more

post pictures , so we can see what's possible to do with your wiring

I have buzzing amps only on my T-Bed , which is deliberately made in pretty much worst while still functional fashion
Here are the photos... I tried playing with ground topology; this did not affect anything, the amp is quiet from that point of view.

As per codyt reply (thanks!!), I think the buzz might be as the result of a very little voltage drop caused by dual diodes I used. Once again, It is very faint and I think Nelson mentioned that FW Aleph J also had it... but was noticeable only when his customers were placing their heads inside the speaker cabinets

Quote:
Spent 3 days making this amp. The words can not describe how good this amp sounds...
Quote:
... lot No 1
Quote:
lot No 2
Old 15th January 2020, 06:09 AM   #4497
silasmellor is online now silasmellor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Im curious what the snubber configuration that worked for codyt was, trying snubbers on my f6 did nothing.
Old 15th January 2020, 03:12 PM   #4498
codyt is offline codyt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silasmellor View Post
Im curious what the snubber configuration that worked for codyt was, trying snubbers on my f6 did nothing.
I believe the values are Cx220nf/Cs100nf/Rs18r, but unable to verify until later this evening. *6L6* will know, as he helped me with it. Transformer is a Antek 4218 (worked well on a 3220 too). Using monolith bridge rectifiers 35A 200V.
Old 15th January 2020, 05:53 PM   #4499
mpa is offline mpa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Good news! After a month of waiting for some more LSJ74's to arrive in the UK Aleph J no2 is alive
It is currently cooking slowly waiting for another check of bias and offset.
I think I damaged the JFETs with the zip tie when I pulled them together as the leg broke off one of them when I desoldered it..
Finally I will be able to listen to them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200115_173527.jpg (923.5 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200115_173444.jpg (1.03 MB, 158 views)
Old 15th January 2020, 06:38 PM   #4500
JSA1971 is offline JSA1971  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpa View Post
Good news! After a month of waiting for some more LSJ74's to arrive in the UK Aleph J no2 is alive
It is currently cooking slowly waiting for another check of bias and offset.
I think I damaged the JFETs with the zip tie when I pulled them together as the leg broke off one of them when I desoldered it..
Finally I will be able to listen to them!
Congratulations, nice build! Which speaker protection boards did you use?

Aleph J illustrated build guideHide this!Advertise here!