Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Well, it looks something like this..
That kind of PSU won't fit in the usual ACA chassis, but it will fit in the Mini 3U chassis. I used a set of boards laid out by another DIY member and stuffed them into an old Hafler chassis. These included their own CRC filter, and I added a big C and R in front.
The site you're looking for is ACA amp with premium parts

Attachments

• Premium ACA Build.jpg
    Premium ACA Build.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 548
@Ben Mah thanks. I might return to it later tonight or perhaps tomorrow. I'm kind of frustrated right now and, as evidenced by a cap I now have to replace (and have none on hand) good decisions arent made when you're frustrated.

To be honest, there's so much excess solder I'm not quite sure how to handle it. I have solder braid on order as I cant seem to get the solder sucker to get into some of the nooks and crannies. If a sufficient number of components are toast, I may just go ahead and buy another parts kit and start again, this time being less heavy handed with the solder so there isn't so much goop on the other side of the PCB from where I soldered, and I can be extra careful about heat when soldering some components.

Try heating up the solder in the hole and, while it’s still hot, blowing hard on it. This works surprisingly well, and I do it when a wick isn’t at hand. Wear a pair of safety glasses because it does splatter a bit sometimes when you blow hard. I know, it’s a little crazy, but it works for me.

This is going to be an odd question but this is all I have to test with right now.

I just finished a 1.8. Everything seems fine but all I have to test sound with is an iPhone, lightning to rca cable and an old 4ohm driver stolen from a sound bar sub. My question is how loud should it sound? I can easily hear music from either side but it’s about the level of a normal conversation.

I would try it on a regular speaker and see what happens. Free hanging speakers do weird things?

I use my iphone with a Marantz integrated amp. I have to turn the volume knob up 2 to 3 times more than I would if I was using my CD player. Having said that, when I hook it up directly into a 70 watt amp it does play as loud as i need it too.

Try a different source if possible. Also try different sites to stream from on your iphone.

Also go through the instructions step by step and recheck your work.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I'd expect it to be a bit louder than that with the volume on the iPhone all the way up. However, I'm not sure of the voltage output with the newer phones.

Either way, if you have music with nothing sonically causing you concerns (music from both channels, no pops or scratchy noises etc), I'd suggest putting a pre-amp into the chain. I'd do that before testing with your more expensive speakers just out of an over-abundance of caution.

Mulburg,
Chances are your iPhone has a limited output by design.
Have a look at post #5957. It shows you how to check the output of your phone and the amplification of the ACA.

Quote: ''Here is a way to test your ACA is amplifying correctly. I just tried it on mine and this is what I did.

Used my mobile phone and went to this site for the 1 kilo Hertz test tone, it is a bit louder than some. 1 KHz Sine Test Tone - YouTube

I turned my phone's volume to maximum and measured the AC voltage at the head phone socket playing the tone. Mine is 0.43 volts AC. Yours might be more or less, just note what it is.

Then I plugged the phone into my ACA and measured the output at the speaker terminals. (No speakers connected.) I get 1.622 volts AC.
If I connect my speaker (8 ohms) and measure I get 1.57 volts AC.
Again yours might be different just note it.

So on my amplifier for an input of 0.43v ac I get 1.57v ac out.
3.6 times amplification and you should get something similar if all is well.

Hope that helps.''

If that is the case you will need a pre-amplifier to increase your volume.
Alan

Attachments

• IMG_8567.jpg
    IMG_8567.jpg
    793.2 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_8568.jpg
    IMG_8568.jpg
    964 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_8569.jpg
    IMG_8569.jpg
    972.4 KB · Views: 296
Does anyone know if the pots should be zeroed or otherwise set before soldering them down. If so, about what resistance should be set. Thanks.
Does not matter. Just solder them in at the centre of their travel is fine.

The lead spacing on the C3 and C4 capacitors provided are narrower than the holes on the board and the caps won’t full insert. Is it ok to leave these caps hovering over the board on longer leads or is there a trick to make them full insert and sit directly on the board like the other caps do?
Push them in gently and solder them in with a small space above the board, don't stress the leads by pushing them down to the board.