Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Buffalo DAC.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Buffalo+DCB1.

Same output channel, same entry in the meter, same manual input sensitivity +8 dB, same 200 KOh input impedance . same +7 dBu level signal, same cable.

It is not logical but that's what I measure. Are some power noise problems in the DCB1 . Harmonics of 100 Hz. Are lower now but still there. I will try another cable routing.

Last edited:
Distorsion tools I employ: MacBook with iTunes. SPDIF out with Hiface + 8 dB attenuator. (Hiface out 0-5 V. Hiface - 8dB out 0-1 V.).

Before I used iTunes with Pure Music because the noise down 6 dB lower.
Now only iTunes because update earlier this year equaled the PureMusic jitter.

You can get in MAC an improvement of 6-12 dB or less noise floor compared to Foobar PC (Windows XP, never use Vista or Windows 7) and much depends on the configuration, some parameters must be set correctly on Foobar for good output.

I fabricate the test signals to 24 bit with CoolEdit. preferably 48 KHz. (96) is better oscilator than 44,1 KHz.(88) (Less jitter in Hiface).

The real measured distorsion and noise floor value is 8 dBu lower on the scale because the tone is + 8 dBu.

Buffalo DAC with SSLV1.1 has noise floor 2 dB. better than DAC1 because has less jitter.

Bechmark DAC1 jitter J test.

Buffalo DAC + SSLV1.1 jitter J test.

Last edited:
I changed the I / V stage of DAC by legato I/V.

I suppose that the above measures would be a bad connection of the cable, now the two audio cables are soldered together before putting in the connector.

Now measure normal things, the distortion DCB1 is now equal, no less than only buffalo. :eek:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thank you Salas

No board...p2p
I love the V12R in my latest layout so I want to use those.
This build will replace my actual Pedja Buffer.
Apart from the leg configuration, can it be used as is or must some changes be done to the timer circuit ?

Maybe this is not the best thread to post these questions... If not where ?

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
After searching your DCB1 thread I found that I can use a 5v relay but I must use a series resistor. I know that 12v relay are preferred for low power consumption but I have several 5v relays and I would not like to spend any more on this project.

I also read this :That one needs at least 15V input and a 12V reg and assumes a 5V relay if the 600Rs are not shorted. If you got a 12V relay short em.:

In the pdf I see 2 x 600r in parallel... I am puzled.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Depending on what relay you gonna use, you simply must find the correct resistor that drops from 12V to 5V for the current its coil draws. And has the correct dissipation spec. Ohm's law, DVM, a couple of tests, & bingo! Yes, a p2p experiment with an existing outboard supply is OT here, may mix things up for the Mez board assembly reader.