Balanced F5 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

Transformer details have been sent to the first group for payments. Richard has graciously offered to accept paypal directly to save a double hit of their fees.

Check PM or email if you are in the developers/early transformer buy. Transformer construction will begin once he has all of the payments.

Dave

yeah good job dave, i'm glad me and john were able to help raise his profile to you guys, everything i'm currently working on and anything in the last 18months has Richards iron in it. i'm sure he will do a great job.

most importantly, i'm glad my favorite TX supplier will be supplying the spec and sze will not be a problem for me ;)

I was expecting some impatience sooner or later ....... :)

The first 3 PCBs (regulator, power rail filter, and speaker protection) are done and ready for prototyping. We have in principle also an error-free version of the main board converted from ACAD to Gerber, but to be 100% safe, we also want to do one from scratch using proper PCB software. Fitzfish and I have been both on business trips, so we hope to catch up a bit in the next 2 weeks on that. We solved the auxiliary supply problem (lack of space) provisionally with a SMPS module, but I think we can also squeeze in a linear supply if we have to. Ashaw is working on a second layout of the protection board to safe more space by integrating it into the front panel. I think it won't take long if he has time to work on it. But Christmas is getting close, so people are busier with other things than a few months ago. If we finish all PCB work before end of the year, then we are doing quite well. The schematics and bill of material are done and checked. So we shall release them as soon as he boards are ready.

We have ordered the parts for the first proto case. But as usual, proto parts have less priority than volume production parts. We still hope to get them before Christmas, so that we can at least post a photo of the raw case. But it might be tight and we hesistate to make any promise. MarkLai is keeping a close eye on progress. We have some initial pricing for the parts in small volume, waiting for Variac to decide how he wants to proceed. I guess he is also waiting for the photos and responses from potential buyers as to what quantities we can expect.

My design work is basically finished. My remaining task is to guide the prtotype build and test. ;)

I expect the first prototype build and test (by AR2 and fitzfish) to be somewhere around Easter, if all goes well and they have time to work on them.

So we are there but not quite there. Still, a big thank you to the effort from all, especially the PCB layout guys.

Patrick

me too as well, I actually dont mind this extended testing period, I may even get to hear Johns before its time to start and get some tips on pitfalls etc, also gather dollars to do it really well. also some time to get these old PEH169 all cooked and reformed. anyway looking forward to it, I guess this thread will be a bit quiet aside from the odd eager beaver

If you were to follow my layout 100%, then you would need per channel 8 pieces of either :

Digi-Key - P6591-ND (Manufacturer - ECO-S1EA223DA)

or

Digi-Key - P6921-ND (Manufacturer - ECO-S1VP223DA)

depending on how much voltage margin you want for the caps. Both will fit.

So for a dual mono build, you need 16 of them.

You can also mix, 35V before the regulators, 25V after. In that case, then you want 8 each.
And I would buy 10 each to allow some matching.

But early days. Please wait till AR2 & Co have built & reported.

Patrick

Depends whether you think you have enough voltage gain (i.e. depends on your speaker), and how much volume control you would want.

Balanced DAC + B1 + F5X will get you maximum 20Vrms across the speaker terminals with next to no attenuation.
If you want 6dB attenuation minimum, you are down to ca. 10Vrms.

I would probably want another gain of 3~5, but that is a matter of taste.

Patrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.