Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

That is one beautiful amp, congratulations.

I found your amp very interesting because I was planning my build to be very similar, although with Peter Daniels boards.

I must say, I would not normally speak up, but I must agree with jleaman - that cat5 output wire has gots to go!
As for a suggestion, I would say 18 or 16-guage. I am going to be using regular old stranded copper 16g.

Once again, hurrah on another F5 added to the world, I sure wish I could get mine done!

Hi

Its just a twisted pair cat5 cable. What would you suggest? The reason why I choose this, apart from having a pile of it, was that Dave (Planet10) suggests using a single pair for the speakers cables.

You really need to use speaker cable for the output, or at least something much thicker. I don't think cat5 will handle any significant current (2A at a guess).
You are also increasing the output impedance of the amp.
If the insulation melts, then you are going to short the amp (because of the twisted pair).

You really need to use speaker cable for the output, or at least something much thicker. I don't think cat5 will handle any significant current (2A at a guess).
You are also increasing the output impedance of the amp.
If the insulation melts, then you are going to short the amp (because of the twisted pair).

I'll get to it right away! :) Thanks for the advice guys.

Hi

I have some DHLABS silver plated hook-up wire. It has a diameter of around 1.5mm

DHLABSLarge.jpg

wire_hookup_dhlabs

Will this be OK?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Its just a twisted pair cat5 cable. What would you suggest? The reason why I choose this, apart from having a pile of it, was that Dave (Planet10) suggests using a single pair for the speakers cables.
A CAT5 cable consists of 4 twisted pairs of 24AWG (or possibly 23AWG). A pair of CAT5 cables would yield 18AWG speaker cables. I don't think Planet10 meant a single twisted pair of 24AWG as speaker cables.