FirstWatt J2

Hello guys! This is my first post, and I have no real technical understanding of amplifiers :eek:

I just bought a used J2. The seller said it was "mint", and that he had only opened the box to check it and take photos.

But I took the lid off, and to me it looks suspicious, like as if the original JFETs have been replaced.

They all say SemiSouth E120R100, two of them also say T1026, and the last two say P0939 and T1034.

How bad is it?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if its SJEP120Rxxx it is OK

xxx is whatever - 063, 100, 125

no practical difference

that's "just" series resistance of part when fully opened and one can use any of these in J2 circuit, even mixed

edit: you're scammed ... amp is bad - just send it to OPLDF

:clown:

Attachments

• jfet.jpg
    jfet.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 766
Last edited:
I've been playing around with a slightly beefed up J2 topology. I've raised the bias and rails to give 40W into 8ohms at 1% THD (at least according to LTSpice).

The upper MOSFET is now dissipating 62 watts at idle, so it would need some significant heat-sinking. The SemiSouth is running at around 60 watts, which is ever-so-slightly above 1/2 its 115watt max, but I assume still within the bounds of reason?

I also tried paralleling the MOSFET and SemiSouth, but as far as I could figure there's not really enough gain to make use of that. (The topology seems very sensitive to the amount of feedback, so I wasn't able to reduce that.)

I adjusted the opto-coupler's LED resistor so that it starts clipping the gate voltage when THD reaches about 1%. Is that the right thing to do?

I also had to use a 4N25; the 4N35 wouldn't work in my sim. I compared the two datasheets, but got lost. Is the 4N25 suitable here?

(LTSpice file attached.)

Thanks,
Jeff.

Attachments

• DIY_J2.asc
    5.6 KB · Views: 160
Here's V2.

I studied the optocouplers a bit more and noticed that the CTR decreases as they heat up, so a little more error room is probably in order.

I bumped the optocoupler ballast to 390 ohms. Since it's now what cuts the party short, I was able to lower the quiescent bias back to what I believe is "factory spec" (15K).

Results are a little less power (36W vs 40W), and a little less heat.

Attachments

• DIY_J2.asc
    5.6 KB · Views: 120
I would leave R5 at 100 ohms. You can change your bias current to what you wish by changing the resistance values of R10-R13 in your circuit. When all those resistors are equivalent to 0.68 ohms across the input of the optocoupler the transistors will be near 62 watts. Lowering those resistors will increase the wattage and current. Your original optocoupler needed 0.84 ohms to get the same current and wattage as the cny-17 does with 0.68 ohms. The cny17 simulates fairly close to what a 4n35 actually does in a real circuit.

With lower resistance at R10-R13 I had to also lower R4 (or I ran out of room in Class A). However, it all balances out to about the same output, with a hair more dissipation through the output FETs.

I'm not sure I understand the advantage of doing it this way (not that I'm questioning it, just that I'm trying to grok this stuff). Is it because the optocoupler is only involved when things get hairy this way?

Thanks again,
Jeff.

Attachments

• DIY_J2.asc
    5.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Even with higher rails, higher bias and more heatsinking, we're still only at 20 watts into 4 ohms. That's probably not going to satisfactorily drive my Maggies in a large room.

So, switching gears, what about a "standard" J2 driving the Maggie tweeter sections and acting as voltage source for an F4 driving the bass/midrange sections?