Vishay vs Takman Metal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Takman Metal wins the Gold, Vishay Zfoils do not even get the bronze,, Just got my Jadis DPL back from tech guy with Zfoils,, Cost mea fortune. Sounds like garbage, High distortion, completely destroyed my sonics which i have been spending $$$ on new caps past year., These Vishays destoyed everything i built up.
Jadis uses Takman Metal resistors for a reason, = best sound resistor on the market.

Just got my Jadis DPL back from tech guy with Zfoils,, Cost mea fortune. Sounds like garbage, High distortion, completely destroyed my sonics
best sound resistor on the market
Well, if some people believe a burning bush or thunder can talk to them, why wouldn´t others believe a resistor brand can change sound?

Oh the power of expectation bias.

I bet that amp will sound exactly the same (to human ears) no matter the resistor brand used.
Double blind test, of course.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have the opposite experience, I like Nude Vishays and don’t like Jadis electronics.
I do like New Orleans, especially the Preservation Jazz hall where they don’t allow any electronic instruments tube or solid state, so resistors don’t really matter any more...

Unless you test double blind you are totally a victim of expectation bias, its a very real and visceral effect you cannot compensate for, all the experiments show that if the subject knows what each test is, they can hear a difference, and if they are ignorant of what each test is they then cannot hear a difference - its all in the mind, not the ear (or the capacitor!)

Perception of hearing is very strongly controlled by other parts of the brain (for instance the McGurk effect shows that vision affects it behind the scenes, and expectation bias is just another such effect.

Psycho semiotics at work here. Absolute rubbish to state that a resistor type changes the sound and therefore the performance of an audio device.
There is no such thing as a "sound resistor".

What actually happens is the human brain tries to find a way of explaining the wasted money and this is the most common way.
As Mark says, a double blind test will reveal how wrong your findings are.

Takman Metal wins the Gold, Vishay Zfoils do not even get the bronze,, Just got my Jadis DPL back from tech guy with Zfoils,, Cost mea fortune. Sounds like garbage, High distortion, completely destroyed my sonics which i have been spending $$$ on new caps past year., These Vishays destoyed everything i built up.
Jadis uses Takman Metal resistors for a reason, = best sound resistor on the market.

There are people who would love to buy you the Zfoils, even if used. :D

It is possible the Zfoils just don't match your sound signature device and the rest of your system.

Some system just love to have some carbon films or carbon comps for example. A Zfoil is a very transparent resistor.

t is possible the Zfoils just don't match your sound signature device and the rest of your system.

^^^
I got sucked into spernding
300 parts Tech adds 60 for his ship time,,???
and $250 rfor his install
He ade ou great, he suggested, alsoa YT vid show these as
SUPERIOR
I believed
and now out 550, the sound was flatened and sound like crap
This YTer is selling snakeoil

Metal Film vs Bulk Metal Foil in audio attenuator tube line amp - YouTube

Psycho Semiotics? Vygotsky?

I'm amazed to see these emphatic statements of certainty about audible perception like this - and Absolute rubbish to state that a resistor type changes the sound - absolutely no room for doubt or uncertainty here!

Oh, and " ...its a very real and visceral effect you cannot compensate for, ... its all in the mind, not the ear (or the capacitor!)" - Yep, it's all in your mind, imagination at work.

Now, about this 'expectation bias' that keeps getting mentioned - if you believe that there is no difference in sound between different resistors, then you'll never, ever hear any at all - it works both ways - imagination and denial - expectation bias - all in the mind.

So, to be clear about this, any 1kR resistor sound exactly like any other 1kR resistor regardless of foil, carbon, tantalum, wire, etc - all the same sound, yes?

A 1 watt carbon wil sound exactly the same as a Z-foil in the same circuit?

No doubt what-so-ever? Not the teeniest hesitation?

Well, we all have our own opinions, I guess, and it is a DIY place to air them.

Yes Paul, as you found, there IS a HUGE difference between the sound of the Takman and the Z-foils and you didn't need any double blind test to tell you it's not all your imagination!

The Video of your link used those upgraded resistors as the shunts in the volume control and it gave him a better result in his studio system, very different to yours (lousy sound via the laptop by the way!)

In the right circumstances, they can produce a quite beneficial change in the sound but they're certainly a much brighter resistor and this is obviously not suitable for the Jadis - besides, they take an enormous time to settle down too (that'll probably have the Inquisition guys burning me in effigy too!)

And the burn in is more BS to boot. How bout some proof. So tired of people who self delude themselfs about there hearing, then fight tooth and nail over there almost religous misbeliefs. Your opinions are useless, especially when 2 posts later someone has the exact opposite opinion. Different kinds of resistors may measure differently ( parts per million) but that dosnt mean you can hear a difference. Blind test or shut up.

And theres no way a resistor can change the freq. response ( as in brighter ) unless the circuit is so bad that the change in inductance of the resitor from lead length has an effect. Total rubish.

Last edited:
t is possible the Zfoils just don't match your sound signature device and the rest of your system.

^^^
I got sucked into spernding
300 parts Tech adds 60 for his ship time,,???
and $250 rfor his install
He ade ou great, he suggested, alsoa YT vid show these as
SUPERIOR
I believed
and now out 550, the sound was flatened and sound like crap
This YTer is selling snakeoil

Metal Film vs Bulk Metal Foil in audio attenuator tube line amp - YouTube

By the way, is it certain that these resistors are truly Z foils?
Did you wait for a burn-in?
Can you get the Takmans back?

I also suspect it is a signature non match.

My Imaginary Experiences

It is my repeated experience that new components need at least 300 hours of play time to sound their best. During those 300 hours there can be very ugly sounding stretches.
Makes me wonder how many persons have rejected new equipment or parts upgrades because they didn't wait long enough.

Professional equipment reviewers claim to burn in new equipment for about a month before critical testing - for no good reason? I have read many user reviews who give periodic updates of SQ throughout the break in period until musical nirvana is attained - is this imaginary too?

BTW, I find Z-Foils to be ultra clear sounding and too many in a system can sound bright and analytical. Z-foils would also expose problems with other components or the circuit design. Takman's sound very neutral to me. My favorites are the Rhopoints, but these are hard to get in special values. For SMD's I use Susumu RG's.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I think I have enough popcorn to last until this thread is closed.

$600 for resistor upgrades on a basic tube preamp does seem to be a slightly daft thing to have done. However if it's distorting audibly then the tech screwed it up. I assume he provided before and after plots to show he hadn't buggered something up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.