Copper RCA connector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I understand it, adding tellurium to copper will
1. make it more radioactive - but not dangerously so
2. make it more toxic - but not dangerously so
3. make it harder and so easier to machine and more durable
4. reduce conductivity - but not enough to do harm to an audio signal
Note that better audio performance is not a factor.

1. Driving a car is probably more dangerous, breathing you will get you more dangerous substance in your body than the little radioactive that is in the contacts. If it is dangerous, it must be better ;).

2. If you do not work with it, it is harmless in its stable form even if you lick it nothing happens.

3. ++++

4. ++

I do not understand why people become so worried about things that someone writes or tells, often they take facts out of their context and then it becomes a truth that is not relevant in their context.

If you are to be afraid of everything that is around us, you can lie down and die because then life would be worthless for all the fear you build up.

Instead, live as if it were the last day of your life and be curious about everything.

I have worked copper in both milling and turning. The problem is that speeds, angles on tools and coolants are to be considered. Therefore, it costs too much to make products in copper, then you have to remember that copper oxidizes much faster than you think, so adding other metals in the copper prevents this. Using a protective surface is the only right thing. Adding other metal to make it harder is just because it will be usable during manufacture and that we consumers so we should be satisfied.

I myself use RCA with silver plating especially the chassis connector for all my male contacts I currently use eichmann copper bullet plug a combination I think works.

Not for corrosion it isn't. Copper forms a semiconducting layer of oxide over time, and pure copper is very soft and can't maintain contact pressure by itself.

Brass is used for many electrical connectors and screw terminals precisely because its superior at the task to copper, same way beryllium-copper is used for electrically conducting springs in switches and relays.

just ordered 100% pure red copper connecting plugs for RCA , both female and male.
+ a pure copper power cord end pieces. Copper is superior to brass

As has been expressed in this thread before the qualities that make copper "superior" to brass (conductivity, electrical and thermal) make extremely little difference in the application "signal connector". The qualities where pure copper is inferior to nickel plated brass, and that to a huge degree (resistance to oxidation and mechanical strength) on the other hand make a much bigger difference making (plated) brass the much superior material for signal connectors.

Well, it will be "better" on one aspect at least: it will certainly be more expensive.

This is how my tech guy thinks about some of my *tweaks*,
He believes if its not broke, don't fix it.
I say its not snakeoil, he can not be convinced its a real mod.
I am hoping on at least a 1/2 % improved sound, if not more, say 1% pop,,anything less than 1% pop is snakeoil.
Take for instance, the tiny feet folks place under their amps/turntables and such,,,pure snakeoil.
Alot of snakeoil goes around in this busness.
But I am willing to test for resluts,,I havea new YT vlog cam and will post all my mods in comming months.
I have sterling silver 14 gague 1/2 roundi will use as speaker wire with the pure copper,,and also will try some sterling silver interconnect, 14 gague with pure copper RCA jacks,,,need to have my tech guy add the RCA jacks , also will have my tech guy replace the tiny wires leading fromk the cd player's curcuit board to RCA posts and will replace with 100% pure .01 or .015 pure silver,
The Sterling Silver 20 feet, cost me $100 and the pure silver 5 feet cost like $50.
I hope these mods result in at least a 1% pop.
I am making all sorts of mods and will post vids on YT as to the real, true, unbiased results.
Snakeoil?? or *the real deal*,
we will find out the truth.

Just arrived
copper RCA female pulgs,

the 1st pic shows my sterling silver wire which i will use as speaker wire for top portion of my Thors MTM, the lower midbass will not benifit from silver, only the mid/high fq's will adda zing factor with silver wire.
The silver flat interconnects you see in pic1, i will give away to my brotherin law, as 1 SOLID 14 gague sterling silver is superior conductance vs 10 super tiny silver wires. also in the pic you can see the cheap brass speaker spades, i will not use, as I will connect DIRECT sterling silver 14 gague wire.,,what else ,,,you can see the sterling silver 14 gague wire in the pic, purchased froma Massachussetts seller.

please leave comments below
I am off to HD to buy small plastic tube clear to house the speaker and interconnect sterling wire.
Gonna add The Zing factor to my system,
I am guessing these pure copper and sterling silver will add, oh say, another 5% pop/Zing factor to the perf.
Please leave comments below

Attachments

• IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_0894.jpg
    IMG_0894.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 320
Just arrived
copper RCA female pulgs,

the 1st pic shows my sterling silver wire which i will use as speaker wire for top portion of my Thors MTM, the lower midbass will not benifit from silver, only the mid/high fq's will adda zing factor with silver wire.
What is zing factor?
Only conductor parameters affecting frequency response, hence sound are:
1) DC resistance.
Copper is exactly same as Silver if you:
a) use 7% shorter copper wire
b) use 7% higher section copper wire
b) inductance: both wires will have exact same inductance.

But silver is way more expensive so I now understand "zing" as the sound made by money leaving your wallet.
See? now we agree on the Zing factor :D
The silver flat interconnects you see in pic1, i will give away to my brotherin law, as 1 SOLID 14 gague sterling silver is superior conductance vs 10 super tiny silver wires.
14 gauge is a number, super tiny is a subjective description, you can never ever compare both side by side.
You can't "justify" your opinions unless you learn that BASIC fact.
also in the pic you can see the cheap brass speaker spades, i will not use,
"cheap" is not an Electrical parameter either, and to boot, do not talk about the sound of what you are NOT doing.:cool:
as I will connect DIRECT sterling silver 14 gague wire.,,what else ,,,you can see the sterling silver 14 gague wire in the pic, purchased froma Massachussetts seller.
who cares where does the seller live? Again NOT an Electrical or Acoustical parameter.

please leave comments below
You are being served.
I am off to HD to buy small plastic tube clear to house the speaker and interconnect sterling wire.
Insulation is fine but won´t change sound .
Gonna add The Zing factor to my system,
WHAT Zing Factor?
Speak English, please.
I am guessing these pure copper and sterling silver will add, oh say, another 5% pop/Zing factor to the perf.
You don´t get it, do you?
Please leave comments below
I sense some Masochism here ;)

@ JMFahey

OK, yiu got me,,so a shorter copper = same conductance spped as a longer sterling silver wire,,,,hummm, gotta think about that.
You don;'t think that maybe the Siemens in the electrons will pass more smoothly and more electrified via silver vs copper???
Zing = stellar highs, sparkles and a realism.
Such as what my new Philips tall bottle E80CC Special Quality did in the 2 AU sections of my Jadis Defy vs the amperex and Psvane Au's which sounded DEAD next to the Philips SQ E80CC...??
I have so many tweaks/mods to work on,,,and make comparisons,,all will be documented ina YT vid i plan to mkae in a few weeks.
I will post a link ASAP.
This way everyone can hear what is actually going on.
I am holding to the stubborn idea that the silver in the sterling silver (92% silver,,,but that may be a pump, as my silver wires are very soft),,The pure silver wires arrived WITH A SLEEVE!!!! These will replace the cheap wires leading from the Jadis's main board to the connects, also the cayin's CD17 wires will be replaced with pure silver.
I am waiting ona tiny rubber hose I bought off ebay for jewlry,,,,hollow , so i will run the Sterling silver throught it and directly connect to Jadis and speaker posts, NO spades,,,,,should geta nice pop there Pop = zing factor = higher resolution = more dynamics,
The copper posts, for speaker and RCA , look heafty, very well made, and worth the $$$$$.
We will see ,,,and hear,,,I will posta vid pre mods,,then post mods,,you make the decision,,I will be fair and unbiased,,each mod will be subjected to a nonbiased, critical assessment.
If each mod turns out to be more snakeoil, I'll admit,,,but if the Zing factor is for real, then its a winner.
I can tell you, the biggest pop in my system was getting the Philips E80CC tall bottles in the AU section of the defy,,IMHO, the P SQ E80CC's will blow away any/every AU(short bottle) ever made.
Sure the Psvane's new AU's look gorgeous design, but can't hold a candle next to the P SQ E80CC.
The PSQE80CC breathed life into the Jadis defy7..i am running new EHKT90's in the power output,,,all will be shown in my YT vid.
Will use both reference cds/jazz/blues, vocals, and classical.
The Defy sat unsued for 11 long years,,using onlya computer $10 set of speakers,,Now its come to life,,finally....I bought the PSQE80CC yrs ago, on a hunch,,these may be something special.
Cheers
paul
New Orleans

READ....SAME CONDUNCANCE SPEED,,with shorter copper speaker wire, vs a longer silver wire.
Not sure if that works out. OK so copper is 7% less conductive as copper.
But how does this work out in terms of actual length of wire...I always hada hunch,,a long speaker wire has a tiny effect of speed on transference,,,i always planed to use only exactly what i needed.
anyway the silver sterling wires will be 6 ft on one and 4 ft on the left side,,as my amp sits closer to one wall.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.