EV QRX 153/75 project (in depth).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
EV QRX 218

Chris,
This is a pic of what the rack looks like 20 Amplifiers, the system is 32 QRX 218 Subs 12 EAW 860's and 8 smaller line arrays and some other smaller system in front. Please note my only issue is with the back low bass

Attachments

• Crown1.png
    Crown1.png
    298.1 KB · Views: 106
I also realized the Eminence driver was VERY efficient (FS of 514Hz) and a phase plug would give me some lost efficiency BACK in that passband.
Measurements now show I'm about 2 dB LESS sensitive than with the old factory driver, but I was making 6-8dB cuts in the processor graphic to try and lose the "awk" between 500 and 1K.
Just curious what the FS of that mid driver is with the salad bowl on the back of it? (Exploring a similar concept with some of my ancient EV boxes.)

I've been very pleased with the sound of EV's deployment of the open-frame beta-8 (probably an OEM variant) in the ZX-1 boxes and it seemed to work good in the small single-8" line array they used to have. Can't speak for the closed-back version as I've never encountered one yet.

Also did EV change their basket casting? I have many EVM-15 and DL15mt in service and the basket casting is essentially identical between them -and I've never had a problem like you describe? I do tend to underpower my stuff and go for more boxes instead of pushing them harder so I may not be seeing the excursion you are. They are Deltamax 1152 (1st-gen) with the analog processor that uses sense inputs so I don't think I could push them to extreme excursion even if I tried

(I doubt any of my drivers are newer than the early-90's so unfamiliar with the newer stuff. )

I do notice the 12's in the SX-300 seem cheaper feeling than my older EVM-12's but sonically they are superior

Also interesting to see your phase plug and note that my 10" driven EV mids have a similar setup -so at one time they did seem to "try harder" with their designs and build quality compared to what you are describing.

final QRX outcome

Sorry, busy as heck.

When I did a Pink Noise assessment of the box the HF was at 105db with a nominal signal input with the the meter about 40" away from the grill. The mid was at about 104db. The 15" was about 95dB! Way behind.
That's when the push went to shove with the second 15" added to fill the "hole" in the response curve.

A LOT has changed since I last posted. Blew every HF driver on a really loud outdoor show and revamped the entire box. The boxes are now 3-way active (NL-8 connector) and XTA 226's as controllers.

Changed those drivers/horns out to 2" BEYMA 850's on an aluminum B&C ME-60 horn on pin 4.
No more problem with the down-firing, I just tilt them in the air for coverage. Each box still only weighs
95#. Single 15's weigh 44#. Flybar is steel so it's 50#. 467# before copper and 1/4T motor.

Mids stayed as they were, very clean and warm on pin 3.

15's in the box are pin 2, separate single 15" box outputs on an NL-4 on pin 1 to that box with 90 degree NL-4's. Can't even see them they hug the box so tightly.

Subs for the system are QSC 181's in a triangle to get cardioid subs. Processing is done on a EV DC-1 and are always driven from an aux or from the center channel of the Midas M-32 (my preference) because it's always post everything on the board and is assignable. Little if any bass onstage keeps the wedge volume way down.

It's a little ridiculous I know, but it's point-source stable sister is a NEXO Alpha rig. It has to compete with that 20 box monster when their budget or ballroom location means a fly-date.

In it's defense, it flys super quick, absolutely kills in a ballroom, and weighs 500# on a single fly-point. It's WAY warmer than any line array I compete with in this area and looks great flown. The cardioid subs are just amazing. I usually shove them under the deck. I love the looks I get when that bass punches up out of nowhere..........

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.