electronic music

I have been a user of Arturia's soft synths since they created the virtual MiniMoog called the Mini V quite some time ago.

I purchased their V collection 3 several years ago and recently upgraded to the V collection 7, which has good virtual emulations of 24 different classic synths, pianos and organs.

Most are faithful to the original, but with some useful enhancements like polyphony for most monosynths and the ability to store and recall settings. Those are most useful to habitual knob turners like me.

In the days when I had an Odyssey and some others, I had to photograph each front panel......with film. I had my own darkroom which helped fill the "book of settings" at minimal cost.

It now includes the EMS Synthi. I haven't spent much time with it yet other than trying some of the presets, but I remember the sound of the VCS3 from early Curved Air records.

Arturia - Overview

So... Any Tangerine Dream fans on the thread?

One of my all-time electronic music favorites, the one that I judge all other synthesizer groups by! I have all of their albums (18 of them!) on vinyl up to White Eagle and Logos Live, as well as a bunch of Edgar Froese solo albums.

What's your favorite album? Mine is Stratosphere.

Take care,
Doug

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I'm not sure of my favourite anymore as have started collecting again with the re-issues coming out so have slightly lost my way. Fave used to be the poland live album as it was the first one I bought in my teens. I need to try and work through them all again. But there is a lot!

Only Band I have ever met as well! I didn't get out much as a kid :)

I liked some of their older stuff, and some Edgar Froese records too.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I have Edgar Froese associated with the words "artificial head machine" n a record that I had in the 70's. Unfortunately much of my record collection from that era was stolen, and I can't find any references to it now.

The new Tangerine Dream seems to be cranking out material that is a mix of sequenced music with live material overlaid on top. Much of it I like. There are lots of TD videos on Youtube, some excellent, some.......

I started buying their albums in the late seventies but they never toured anywhere near here, so there was no opportunity to see them. Awesome that you were able to actually meet them in person!

Allmusic.com lists over one hundred albums released since 1982, what an incredible and consistent output! It appears that I am seriously behind in updating my collection, so I would be very interested in hearing what others find to be their stand-out albums since then. Sounds like I need to spend some significant time on Youtube....

Take care,
Doug

When recording his "Aqua" album,

"Edgar Froese used an Artificial Head System (a replica of a human head fitted with condenser microphones, built by AKG and Sennheiser) for recording noises, especially those of airplanes approaching the Berlin airport. Unfortunately the resulting three-dimensional effect could be reproduced adequately only with headphones but not through two speakers. Thus this experiment was not continued on later recordings by Edgar Froese or Tangerine Dream."

Voices In The Net - Aqua

Take care,
Doug

When recording his "Aqua" album, "Edgar Froese used an Artificial Head System

As soon as I saw the picture of the album art I remembered, and put the memory fragments back together.

I had the Aqua and the Phaedra albums (LPs) way back ..

I had both and a few others. The time frame is correct for when I was listening to and experimenting with electronic music. I got my first commercial synth in 1973, bought a dead Odyssey in 1975, fixed it and expanded it into a bench full of DIY and commercial stuff by about 1976.

In the early 80's the music room / darkroom became the kids room and all the synth stuff got sold. There were several years when all I had was one guitar.

I still have that guitar, but it now has friends, and it's time to put together a synth system again.

I always wanted an Odyssey, but couldn't afford one in the 70s, missed out on getting one when they were being sold used for dirt cheap during the digital revolution, and still can't afford one because of the analog resurgence. Nowdays I would love to have an original Minimoog Model D as well, but I have to content myself with my DIY synths.

I was a teenager when these instruments were being produced, and spent many hours in the local music shop playing around with them and dreaming. The ARP Solina String Synthesizer was another favorite that sounded absolutely amazing to me at the time.

Take care,
Doug

I had a friend who bought a like-new ARP 2600 for four hundred bucks during that period.

I sold my entire collection including the first gen white faced Odyssey for half that!:(

I would love to have an original Minimoog Model D

Yeah, so would I.....but I took a popular shortcut. I got a Behringer model D. I found a new one in the box on Ebay for $249 and then used an Ebay 15% off coupon on top of that.....for just over $200, it rocks. The Behringer D is a fairly faithful clone of the original Mini. The ladder filter is a near exact copy and does sound authentic. It's all made with SMD stuff, and has things that the Moog D doesn't like MIDI and USB MIDI.

I have to content myself with my DIY synths.

I am working on a DIY modular. I have several modules built from kits, and a couple of BIG modules. The Behringer "D" and Neutron. Both drop into a Eurorack case and include the Eurorack power cable.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hans Zimmer claimed he bought all his Moog stuff for cents per pound. He has a small gold mine now YouTube

My missed Moog moment was a setup someone had spend their adult life assembling including getting the local tech college to make new modules when Moog stopped. Had 8 note polyphany (quite how you sync the channels for that I don't know) and a gimballed paino stool connected to x and y pots. I think you could have just about fitted it in a 7.5 Ton truck and rented it out. I think they wanted about £5000 for it. At the time didn't have 5k. Ah well