The "Elsinore Project" Thread

had to find a Pantone colour, so it will be 7621C
I wish I could have gotten away with something like that with my wife. I could paint them any color. If anyone is in N. Florida or S. Georgia I can paint them for you any color you want, and I'll just charge you for materials! ;)

BTW, the Hamlet center is awesome. Been super busy since the end of the year, so haven;t had a chance to post. I have a B&K Ref 30 Pre/Pro, so I was able to do some pretty cool listening tests with that. First off, let me explain this. When I built my Elsinores, I used Audyn True Copper film caps for my tweeters. When i was making the order, they only had one in stock so I had to wait to get the other one. When I got the second cap it was bigger physically. I don't know if they redesigned the caps or whatever, but it was a noticeable difference in size. I used the Audyn cap for the Hamlet too, and when I got that one, it was the same size as the 2nd larger one when I built the Elsinores. Now it probably didn't matter, but it would have bugged me to no end knowing that those caps might be slightly different so I switched out the cap in the Elsinore with the smaller cap. The point is the tweeter cap for the Hamlet is broken in.

Before I start, I didn't really build the Hamlet center to listen to music. I do have a large number of concert DVD's and Blurays almost all of which are encoded with both stereo and 5.1, which I will listen them some in 5.1, but i do prefer stereo for those as well, but I had to compared it to the Elsinores with music because how else am I going to know how good it sounds. So the cool thing about the B&K, is it has 3 channel stereo, and I can switch it to just the center channel. So I switched back and forth between 2 channel 3 channel and single. I don't really think that would be called "mono" because both channels are summed to the center. Here's my observations. Obviously 2 channel wins out by a pretty fair margin. But if I set it to 3 channel and listen for a little while, I noticed I stopped noticing that it was 3 channel. When I switched back to 2 channel obviously the separation was instantly more discernible. The center does seem "brighter", but I'm convinced that's because I was switching back and forth and the center is closer, both in terms of it being in the center, but it's also farther from the back wall, so closer to my sitting position for that reason also. I didn't bother adjusting the center volume, although maybe I will not that i am thinking about it just for the hell of it. Other than the things mentioned and it of course did not have the low end that the Els have. All in all though extremely impressive. I have the waveguides, the PCB's and a couple of xover components, (some how I knocked over on to the floor one of the resistors I needed and stepped on it,) for a pair of Hamlets, and I am debating what i am going to do. I want to put them in my bedroom, but I have my Nomex 164's in there, and I can't decide if I want to keep the Nomex's as I don't think I can sell them for what i would want them for. I'm debating also if I'm gonna use the tweeters out of the Nomex's since its the same tweeter, and maybe put new tweeters in the Nomex's. I do know someone who might want to buy the Nomex's but we'll see.

Any way, the Hamlet center I could not be more happy with it. I am also able to listen to it vertically or lay it down which is nice. I have a center stand for it that works either way. I asked my wife if I could leave it upright and she grief, so I said I'd lay it down. Then left it like that and I am just seeing how long it takes for her to notice...LOL! So even when she does notice, I'll just lay it down, and then when I want to listen to it with music again, and stand it up and leave it, so she gets used to it, and stops noticing! :ROFLMAO:

Hi Dana, nice 'report', and yes I like the Audyn True Copper as well, but I use the Max version. Maybe you got a mix of non-Max and Max there. Anyhow, I would have done the same and put the matched pair in the Elsinores.

BTW, that colour Pantone 7621C does look toned down at night and with less light in the room compared to that in the picture. But look up Pantone colours and find the one you like, tell other people the number and if they like and want to use it, then they can get the exact same colour.

Hope all goes well on the wife negotiations. ;)

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Beethoven wrote his first sonata for the piano at the age of 25 in 1995 and dedicated it to his teacher Joseph Haydn.

For your pleasure, played on an excellent piano (a very large massive Yamaha upright) and with basic recording equipment, is my son Beau's performance of the opening Allegro movement (featuring a so-called 'Mannheim Rocket' phrasing). Hope you like it:

https://www.customanalogue.com/Beau_Recital.mp3

• Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Beethoven wrote his first sonata for the piano at the age of 25 in 1995 and dedicated it to his teacher Joseph Haydn.

For your pleasure, played on an excellent piano (a very large massive Yamaha upright) and with basic recording equipment, is my son Beau's performance of the opening Allegro movement (featuring a so-called 'Mannheim Rocket' phrasing). Hope you like it:

https://www.customanalogue.com/Beau_Recital.mp3
Thanks Joe really appreciate the gift of beautiful music

Reactions: 1 users
Oops! Typo, 1795.

Beau below, about a year ago. Then we have a Yamaha Grand (not a Concert Grand) which is now gone. He buys and sells pianos, so we have had a number of Grands and interesting uprights.

Beau.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I just finished a pair of Mk.6 with the MFC woofers.
Looks awesome. In a pair of speakers I built, I put the tweeter, mid and woofer on separate crossovers and mounted them in the cabinets. Worked out well. I would recommend two or three sets of binding posts as it was complex getting them in there all tied together. Could of used the binding posts as a junction I guess. Ugh, hindsight...