Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Altec Lansing
Altec Lansing
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2019, 12:48 AM   #1141
355F1 is offline 355F1  United States
diyAudio Member

I have that issue. If I had that ceiling I would have done something similar.

This system uses Klangfilm Siemens Bionor vintage theatre speakers and JBL B460 subs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02-Lamm-ML3+Bionors_resize.jpg (397.6 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg 03-Siemens-Bionor_resize.jpg (404.6 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg 04-JBL-B460+Lamm-ML1_resize.jpg (341.8 KB, 283 views)
Old 20th September 2019, 03:11 AM   #1142
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Altec Lansing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
After reading Pano’s post on page one I was impressed by his creation, he said that he “never heard any other speaker of any size, shape, technology or vintage that sounds more like real live music than these”.
Double stacked Quad 57 ESL panels come darn close. Better in some ways; more detail more open. I haven't heard the newer Quads.

The only real subjective criticism of the Quads I have is that they so clean, so transparent that they can call attention to themselves for that very reason. They can sound better than real. Almost like you're listening from inside the microphone. A very good implementation of the Altec horns doesn't call attention to itself quite the same way. To me, the Altec is somewhat more natural.

But that's a fine distinction. Both systems are really at the top of the game. There is much joy in both.
Old 20th September 2019, 07:05 AM   #1143
Ezd is offline Ezd  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hello Chaps,

I have been reading your posts and suddenly became intrigued by horn loaded speakers, I have never listened to them.

I have a pair of upgraded QUAD ESL 63 but I need to try a different approach to listen to music.

What are your recommendations?

Cheers,

Horacio
One nice thing about a pair of vintage Altec speakers is if you do some research on pricing and condition and buy accordingly, you should be able to audition for yourself and resell near the same price if you decide they are not for you.
Since you are in Florida, there should be greater availability within driving distance.
Old 20th September 2019, 02:07 PM   #1144
diyAudio Member

Well, my plan was to do exactly as you suggested but still keep my QUADs.

Although Miami is one of the wealthiest and most nearly recession-proof urban areas in the US, it has never been a high-end town like Washington, DC where you could find anything you wanted.

I found a pair of 846A for $2K but shipping costs are very high nowadays.

If I could find a set of the Altec drivers used in the VOT/846B in mint condition I would build my own cabs, I have the tools to do that.

Cheers,

Horacio

Last edited by 355F1; 20th September 2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 20th September 2019, 02:16 PM   #1145
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Altec Lansing
That's similar to a 210 cabinet with wings. Mine are gone but were very useful for outdoor events.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7651.jpg (75.0 KB, 244 views)
Old 20th September 2019, 02:19 PM   #1146
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Altec Lansing
I have also the PA version of the Valencia called the 1233. You really need to EQ them. Not sure that's the right cabinet for such nice drivers. I believe they are a compromise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8018.jpg (138.3 KB, 237 views)
Old 20th September 2019, 02:40 PM   #1147
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Altec Lansing
What are you planning to use for horns?
Old 20th September 2019, 04:07 PM   #1148
diyAudio Member

I have had several valve amps, Dynaco, Radford, Acrosound, Mac, Heathkit, Leak, Audio Rsch A75, my last one was a Berning EA-230.

With the QUADs I have been using an Electrcompaniet 100DMB LE [125W/Ch] since '97, it is a great match for these electrostatics. I play LPs. Pre is a Klyne Series 6. It is a simple system.

I thought that the 846A was a 16 Ohm speaker but the back panel label says designed to operate from 8 or 16 Ohm.
Old 27th September 2019, 07:24 PM   #1149
bonzo75 is offline bonzo75
diyAudio Member

Hi, who here owns VOTT horns, with Altec or any other drivers, or any other variations of altecs?

Please list your drivers and cabinets, and amps it would be good to see all users on one thread.

I would be interested if those in the EU can allow me to visit and listen, I live in London. Would like to get a flavor of different configurations and sizes, as currently I have only heard big VOTTs with 2 515 in each woofer. I would like to listen to smaller compact ones as well.

Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 07:27 PM   #1150
bonzo75 is offline bonzo75
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have that issue. If I had that ceiling I would have done something similar.

This system uses Klangfilm Siemens Bionor vintage theatre speakers and JBL B460 subs.
I have visited David, he lives in UTAH. Additionally that system has an EMT 927, Thorens Reference, Techdas AF1, and American Sound. All with SME 3012r arms and various carts

Altec LansingHide this!Advertise here!