EVENT: diy speaker comparison in Melbourne

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Following on from this thread I'm organising a small diy event in Melbourne in the Frankston area. While the focus was on comparing some diy speakers to the Thor, since it hasn't been built yet, I see no reason to limit it to this. I have a pair of diy TLs in a box similar to the Thor, Propstuff has some TLs that are smaller but use Seas Excel drivers.

It would be good to see:

* other diy speakers
* some good quality amps
* possibly a good CD player or SACD (can the difference be heard clearly with the speakers)

Details (date and time to be confirmed):

I'm aiming for next Friday night 6:30 pm with a BBQ. BYO meat / salad / drinks (yes I will have some as well).
Address details will be given over the phone only when you can confirm you are coming.

Ideally this night would be suited to 6 - 8 people. Please contact me via the email link in my profile if you would like to come. Depending on the response, the date and time may be changed. Be sure to include a contact phone number and an indication of what equipment you might like to bring (if any).

Look forward to hearing from you.

cheers,

Paul

It would be good to have a switch mechanism to switch from different sets of speakers. Does anyone have one, or know how to make one up? Jaycar has one but it's only meant for 8 ohms. Also it costs $35 and it's probably only just a couple of switches! Any ideas?

I suppose it could just be four simple power switches connected in parallel to speaker level inputs, with four sets of speaker outputs. Only problem is if not used correctly you could quickly end up with a 1 ohm load!!! It would be better if made so that only one speaker can run at a time, and so that it instanly switches all off and one on.

Hi Isaac, long time not see!

David,

you don't have the speakers on your website? It's fine to have people along who don't have speakers to bring along, as long as we have enough to make it worthwhile. I'm putting Saturday afternoon out there as the tentative date, waiting to hear from people about if they can make it then etc.

cheers,

Paul

My Delta project is still a long way to go, and my Dynaudios are undergoing a complete crossover redesign! Things I get myself into.... Saturday won't be a problem for me, and Hugh, I can bring along the Aksonic's if it's a definite goer. I'm especially interested in hearing that Vifa XT25.
By the way, I just updated my email address.

Before I make the time and date final I need to know who can come. It can be either lunchtime or evening. If evening we could do combined music / home theatre depending on what eveyone wants to do.

Hugh,
Do you mean Tuesday as in tomorrow? If you are talking next week, then I can put the event off a week.

Give me some indication of when you can come - if Sat afternoon or evening is preferred. Ideally it would be good to hear from everyone online to save making lots of calls and changes to try to find a time to suit all.

Dave, can you email me your number so I call give you a call to confirm details?

12pm saturday August 21
BBQ lunch followed by the music ...

How does this suit all that intend to come?

I think Hugh's arrival with some of his equipment would certainly add to the interest level of all that are coming. It would be good to hear both an Aksa amp, preamp and Aksonic speakers.

I have a few projects in the works that would be good to hear on the day (although I may not have them ready in time):

* diy chip amp - working but has hum issues to fix ... (not intended to perform at a high end level, more a learning exercise, but would be interesting to see how it performs)
* diy pre amp - wishful thinking to have this ready in time as I don't know how to get it working yet!
* dipole woofer - need to fix the subwoofer processor

Rod,

It would be a shame if you couldn't make it. No harm in coming for a short time and leaving early if the party isn't too far away. Still, this date isn't finalised yet. So far there are 7 who have registered interest (myself included), which is about the number I'm looking for, but if a few can't make it then I will look for another time/date.

Nevertheless, I'm sure there will be more events to follow. It would be good to hear you Thors when they are done. I also think it would be good to get a home theatre event going. This could include a comparison of some different subwoofers, and if possible a comparison of different types of surround speakers. Some comparisons followed by a meal and then a movie.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.