EVENT: diy speaker comparison in Melbourne

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok I'm fairly confident the 28th will work out well for a good turn out. I will endeavour to contact everyone via phone by wednesday of next week. If there is anyone wanting to come who hasn't given me their phone number, please send me a quick email with your contact phone number.

When I contact people I will find out what people are bringing. While speakers will be the focus, anything DIY is welcome and will add to the interest and variety of the event. I will however discuss what people are bringing so we don't have 5 cd players etc.

cheers,

Paul

Mark it in your calendas / diaries in the meantime as we now have enough to be sure of a good event:

Saturday 28th August
12 pm til ... ?
BBQ - BYO meat/salad/drinks

Bring food to share, we'll throw the meat on the BBQ and have a chat. Then we'll set things up and get into some comparisons and do a group review. Be sure to bring CDs / SACDs and even DVDs so you can hear the comparison on some tracks that are familiar.

AKSA said:
28th it is, in Frankston. I'm in!!

Paul, can you PM with address please?

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh,

I can't find out any way to PM you on this. It says you don't accept emails. Could you send me your phone number (either BH or AH) so I can contact you to let you know the details. I prefer to discuss by phone so I know the info is going to the right person, and it also gives me a chance to discuss what people are bringing. Then I can tie things up quickly.

regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I did drop you an email yesterday and I would like to attend if I'm not working interstate on the 28th. Let me know if you have room for one more. I have several DIY speakers systems, however, none are easily transportable although as a spectator I would be very interested in the comparisons.

Cheers
Keith

Hi Paul...

As you are being so generous to host this meet, and it appears the numbers are growing (Which I think is fantastic), I am happy for you to put me on the bottom of the list. My interest in HT is purely as a user and learning about acoustics and electronics etc.

I am not a DIY in the sense of speaker building, and I doubt whether I ever will be. In saying this I love the hobby and do appreciate good sound and also other people’s creative talents.

Therefore if you feel the numbers are going to exceed a reasonable number then I am only too happy to sit this meet out, and if this happens to be the case would like to be kept in the loop for any future meets.

The date is now set!

The date is now set!

Saturday 28th August - 12pm

We have three DIY TL speakers, an LSK M5 monitor and another 2 way DIY monitor. There will also be an SACD player and a special guest appearance by Andrew Muir of Tetra Acoustics and Hugh Dean of Aspen amplifiers. Andrew has a home theatre business and will be presenting a satelite and subwoofer combination. Hugh will present his well regarded Aksa Nirvana amplifier along with his Aksonics kit which uses the Vifa XT tweeter with the Vifa MG midbass.

I will also have a few of my DIY electronics projects (work in progress) which may or may not be working, and possibly also a H frame dipole woofer using two of the Stryke Audio AV12. There may be some more equipment / speakers, (which have yet to be confirmed).

I'm expecting 7 - 11 (waiting to hear back from a few). Numbers are limited so if anyone else wishes to come, you may need to get in quick and shoot me an email with your phone number. If you haven't heard from me via phone then it means I don't have your number as I have called everyone who supplied a number.

I look forward to seeing you all. For those who can't make it, there will be a write up of the day on my website and I will post a link here.

The day was a success.

The day was a success. We had a good turn out - about 10, the weather was great, the conversation interesting and there was more equipment than we could do justice to on the day.

* 3 TL speakers, 1 BR, 4 monitors, a sub and my dipole
* As well as Hugh's Aksa, we heard a microwave oven sized Musical Fidelity class A amplifier! Hugh also presented his Aksonics kit.
* Andrew Muir (Tetra Acoustics) supplied a switch which allowed us to make instant switch comparisons.

Thankyou to everyone who came and contributed to the day with food, equipment and great company.
Pictures of the day and some more detailed comments on the equipment to follow on my website and yes I will mention when I have the images working again on my site. Would anyone present on the day like to make any comments on what they heard?
I would like to see some more events like this. Perhaps we could have a home theater event. Subwoofer and surround speaker comparisons would be of interest.

Hi Paul,

My apologies once again for not being able to make the event yesterday......I didn't actually get away from work till after 3pm. I'm keen to see the pictures and read the comments by those who attended. How did the speaker comparisons go.....any one outstanding performer? How did the AKSA amplifiers perform?
Please count me in for any future events.

Cheers,
Keith

I will take this opportunity to thank Paul for organising a fantastic meet; it is a credit to you Paul, not only for your hospitality, but also the organisation & setup. Also a special thanks to all the participants for bringing their pride & joys out into the world, I hope you got all your gear back home and installed without any damage.

It was a pleasure to meet up with everyone that attended; the BBQ at the start was a great way for informal chat, and help break down any barriers due to most of us being strangers.

Definitely well worth the effort, I was so impressed by the quality of the workmanship that was shown on the day, as well as the performance of these speakers.

WELL DONE GUYS!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.