EVENT: diy speaker comparison in Melbourne

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Paul,
If there's is room for one more on Saturday week, I would love to come along. I have a set of modified TL6 speakers with SS 9300 tweeters and series crossover. I also have a AKSA 55N+ Amp and a Pioneer DVD A player.
I'll email you my details privately.

Cheers
Darren

Darren,

Yes there is still room, it would be great to hear your TLs and Aksa. Is that a DVD audio player? If so it would be interesting to hear. Otherwise I have a Sony 5 disc DVD player which is very handy as you load 5 discs and can sit and try different tracks from different CDs without having to get up and change. This is handy with a room full of people each with their own CD and familiar track they want to hear.

cheers,

Paul

Not happy Jan!

The party is in Macedon and my partner's driving other people as well so we have to leave earlyish. I could come out for about 1.5 hrs but I'd be just teasing myself really, these things are fun and take some time:) Otherwise I was going to bring along my Marantz SACD/DVD-A player and disks to add to the collection.

Oh well, I'll be at the next one.

Paul...

The 21st is not good for me, as we have Relations (read free loaders) coming in from overseas, I may loose my testicles, if I don't behave myself.

In saying this, I will only be a free loader at your place, as I don't have anything very exciting to bring.

Let me know if you still require a speaker switch as I see Radio Parts have several.

Cheers

Richard

Richard, a speaker switch would be very handy. I see Jaycar have one but it doesn't like 4 ohm speakers from what I can see. I think instant switching on a given track is a good way to compare as it is very honest - immediately you can hear subtle differences that are forgotten in the time it takes to change. If we have one then I think on the day we might try a few different tracks and quickly switch through all the speakers. Then go through each one and play different tracks selected by the person who brought the speakers. Perhaps have each person do a quick blind listening test review on all the speakers. In fact I would like to do a write up on my site of the day and a review based on everyones comments on the different equipment.

Richard,

The problem seems to be they only accept 8 ohm speakers. Mine are 4 and many of the others are likely to be as welll. I had thought that I could make up a switch with all speakers hooked up in parellel, just using a simple power switch BUT this means only one set of speakers must be on and no more otherwise the amplifier will see a low impedance 2x 4 ohm >>> 2 ohms. 4 x 4 ohm >>> 1 ohm!!! I'm not sure what this would do to a 4 ohm stable amp, but I don't want to find out! This setup should work fine as long as it is used very carefully.

I was just thinking (I know it’s dangerous)

If you were to use Double pole Double throw switches, and wired 1 set of speakers off each switch say contact 1, then wired the amp to switch 1 common then connect switch 2 common from switch 1 contact 2, this will allow only 1 set of speakers on at a time. You could just cascade wire to as many switches as you wanted.

Spearmint said:
I was just thinking (I know it’s dangerous)

If you were to use Double pole Double throw switches, and wired 1 set of speakers off each switch say contact 1, then wired the amp to switch 1 common then connect switch 2 common from switch 1 contact 2, this will allow only 1 set of speakers on at a time. You could just cascade wire to as many switches as you wanted.

I have done this before. I originally bought the speaker switches that you mentioned but fried mine first time. The double throw, double pole switches work ok, just go slow on the changeover otherwise backemf might cause problems.

paulspencer said:
I think instant switching on a given track is a good way to compare as it is very honest - immediately you can hear subtle differences that are forgotten in the time it takes to change.

Instant switching will be good if you can instantly match the SPL as well, which is not going to be that easy. Otherwise louder speaker will invariably sound 'better'. I have an el-cheapo SPL meter which will be more than adequate for shootout purposes, but that will still require a reference signal of some sort (FM pink noise is OK, but it is better to limit low frequencies to avoid room modes and make it fair to speakers that have extened low end). A small good quality capacitor in series with the signal to high pass pink noise above couple hunderd Hz should do. Again, unless this is done prior, and a precision voltage dividers are made for each speaker pair, recalibrating the level every time will preclude quick switching.

Bratislav

I'm concerned about the risk of damaging equipment with a diy instant switch. Can it be done safely without significant risk?

I can make a simple switch to handle 4 speakers, only one running at a time. I don't know how to calibrate the individual levels. I also don't know how safe it is, and what are the possible causes of damage, if any. If these issues can't be resolved, then we may have to abandon instant switching.

paulspencer said:

how can you go slow on instant switching?

For two speakers the middle toggle position was off.

I.e terminals were

1 2
3 4
5 6

3 and 4 are the feed, 1 and 2 are speaker A, 5 and 6 speaker B. The switch had 3 positions, 1-3 and 2-4 or nothing or 3-5, and 4-6. When a magnetic field collapses quickly it causes backemf creating current flow in the wrong direction, If you leave it neutral for a second that backemf has disappated, if there was any.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.