A 3 way design study

Very interesting simulations and measurements tmuikku and fluid.. Lot of insights being brought out.. :)
I just dug up some in-room measurements I had taken quite some time back for a pair of DIY 2 way speakers I made ('tributes' speakers designed by Jeff Bagby).
Here the placement of the speakers had been in kind of like the worst possible location imaginable for speaker placement (due to reflections from walls etc) as shown in pic-1. But my in-room measurement (for both left and right speakers) at listening position about 1m away midway between the speakers in a reasonably small room (1/6th octave smoothed) looks similar to the graphs posted in previous posts.. :D
Hence just sharing here..

Attachments

• IMG_20211114_111540.jpg
    IMG_20211114_111540.jpg
    985 KB · Views: 180
  • Tributes_measurement.PNG
    Tributes_measurement.PNG
    558.9 KB · Views: 182
I found a very interesting set of documents about speaker design concepts here:
http://hannover-hardcore.de/infinity_classics/!!!/

I have downloaded and converted a document from german to english in which the effectiveness of bevels vs chamfers is discussed. Also, some analysis is presented with respect to different angles and depths of bevels on the baffle etc. Very exciting.. :D :D
I think this is by FM FoLLgoTT here on diyaudio.. :)
I have attached the original and the converted PDFs with this post.

Attachments

• diffraction_rounding_vs_chamfer_german.pdf
    635.7 KB · Views: 73
  • diffraction_rounding_vs_chamfer_english.pdf
    777 KB · Views: 98
Also, I have a general question regarding horn-based speakers after reading several posts on this and other forums.
These days I see everyone moving towards horn-based designs. Why is that?
Is it because of the directivity control such solutions offer?
How different do they sound compared to other types of speakers?

Primarily, especially if a pure WG.

Tough for me to accurately verbalize beyond comparing a high definition/accurate reproduction of a place in time versus a low resolution, faded one or my usual 'Is it live or is it Memorex'. ;)

Thank you.. :)
From your words, it seems sort of like directivity control contributes a to better/clearer, 'higher resolution' sound.. :)

A waveguide speaker can sound like nothing (the way it should be), however it is a very complex operation getting there.

You should still put it on your list.

Thank you.. :)
I got very curious seeing all the horn-based builds going on and mabat's software for designing horns... Many of those designs also looked beautiful to my eyes :D
Hopefully, once I finish this current project and learn more, i will attempt a horn-based project sometime in future.. :)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Vineethkumar01,
Thank you for the link to Follgott paper, i haven't seen it.
I first asked myself why he choosen the worst shape you could find to enquiry the effect but it point to interesting things.

So as was stated here there is no clear 'winner'* and it is case related. :)

If you listen to electronic music horn ( outdoor) can have an edge to them which make a favourite upon some people. :D

To be honest i don't know if it is the horn or hi efficiency drivers which makes me ( and others) like them.

In a room i prefer waveguide** though ( directivity management).

*: however roundover is the only shape which lessen the level of diffraction. It may explain why the use of it rather than bevel or chamfer in commercial example.

**: i listen mostly to coax since i have them at home and this is clearly related to their directivity management despite their other flaws.

Vineethkumar01,
Thank you for the link to Follgott paper, i haven't seen it.
I first asked myself why he choosen the worst shape you could find to enquiry the effect but it point to interesting things.

So as was stated here there is no clear 'winner'* and it is case related. :)

If you listen to electronic music horn ( outdoor) can have an edge to them which make a favourite upon some people. :D

To be honest i don't know if it is the horn or hi efficiency drivers which makes me ( and others) like them.

In a room i prefer waveguide** though ( directivity management).

*: however roundover is the only shape which lessen the level of diffraction. It may explain why the use of it rather than bevel or chamfer in commercial example.

**: i listen mostly to coax since i have them at home and this is clearly related to their directivity management despite their other flaws.

Thanks krivium for your perspective on this.. :)
I like the look of horns.. I havent heard a well designed horn speakers other than some pro audio ones.. When I saw a lot of people moving towards horns these days, i got curious... makes me want to study it more.. :D
Regarding waveguides, unfortunately, I don't know any good coaxes available for diy at leat in my country apart from really cheap ones or really expensive ones..

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Allen, we are in agreement i think.

In my view there isn't better than inwall. But if you don't have a dedicated room it isn't easy to implement.

Got the +6db too! I was stuck in listening position and didn't understood the condition you described.

Vineethkumar01,
About coax, i'm kind of obsessed ( by the principle behind it: coincident drivers)!
It's a kind of rendering amongst other, and i favor plurality.
Tbh, i like almost any 'type' of loudspeakers i've heard, they all have their pro and cons.

For me the point being to find the one you ( i) like the most and during the journey if you can understand why and how... :)

Sure horn have a 'wow' factor about visual aspect. And they can sound very good ( not sounding at all) if correctly implemented. But in my view there is one limiting factor which is size, bulk. But direct radiators for low end requires membrane area ( sd) to sound good and real imo, so all in all... if you can live with 'big' box and don't matter the shape.

This is the price to be paid for dynamics: size does matter in audio. And horn help regarding room issue ( directivity management), but not all like this kind of rendering and prefer a bit of early reflections...

You can only discover by experiencing it.

Last edited:
Sorry for my absence on this thread. My speaker building plans have been postponed by a month or two at least since my father got diagnosed with neuroendocrinal tumor 3 weeks back and I had to rush home to take care or his treatment/surgery etc. Thankfully, it was detected very early and is completely curable as per doctors.
Will resume my speaker making plans after all this settles down and I get time.

Yes.. I also suspect it.. Will try to cover grpund with carpets and pillows etc next time i try
The shortening of the gate has always worked for me. Putting cushions and rugs on the floor has reduced the amplitude of the first-bounce reflections in the impulse plot, but that reduction has been of no use -- I have had to keep the bounce bit out of my gated region. So, I now no longer bother trying to absorb the floor bounce.

Where did you the long blue wand for your mic? I too use an EMM6.

The blue wand is actually a PVC pipe. I think I asked the shopkeeper for a 1m long 3/4 inch diameter PVC pipe. I expected a white colored one but unfortunately they had only these blue colored pipe in stock. so I bought it.. :)

The shortening of the gate has always worked for me. Putting cushions and rugs on the floor has reduced the amplitude of the first-bounce reflections in the impulse plot, but that reduction has been of no use -- I have had to keep the bounce bit out of my gated region. So, I now no longer bother trying to absorb the floor bounce.

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree. But shortening of the gate also reduces the frequency resolution we have at the lower frequencies with gated farfield measurements like these, especially below 1kHz. For the mid-tweeter crossover above 2k, it may have less impact but as augerpro pointed out earlier 6-7ms or more for gate seems to be a reasonable gate window. This is my next target. :)
For measurement, I explored and found out that my apartment has a big open area on the roof. It means I would have to move a heavy speaker to the roof and then raise it about 1.5 to 2m above the ground. But I will try and see if it works.. :D