Wharfedale speaker 3XP and XP2 tweeters

Due to hearing problems (being almost deaf now due to working on jet fighters in the RAF in the 1960s) and having to listen to my Hi-Fi through hearing aids I have gone back to 1970s speakers which seem to sound better to me.
I have two sets of Wharfedale speakers one being Glendale 3XP and the other being Glendale XP2. Both sets fully working.
I prefer the treble sound from the 3XP as it is less harsh than that of the XP2 but I prefer the bass from the XP2 as that in the 3XP seems a bit one note and not as deep as the XP2. Both speakers have the same sized cabinets and I gather the mid and bass units are the same in both.
Can I therefore simply transfer the tweeters from the 3XPs to the XP2s using the XP2 crossovers as fitted or would that cause a problem?
Advice please.
Geoff.

I see that both these speakers have a crossover frequency about 4-4,5kHz for the tweeter, both are rated 40 watt 86dB so in theory they should be interchangeable if the impedance of the tweeter, its tolerance and sensitivity is similar. But this is impossible to know without seeing the crossovers schematic, it could also be that some of the crossover components are getting old and needs replacing. You could ohm the tweeters to check DC resistance which may indicate if its "safe" to interchange them but try find the crossover schematics and it would be easier to support you. If one of them are a 4 ohm tweeter with a 4 ohm serial resistor for attenuation and the other is 8 ohm with no attenuation you need to be more careful as it will change the behavior of the crossover. Whether it sounds good or not is difficult to say, phase and etc will have impact to this. Fun project though, a crossover upgrade would be interesting.

Last edited:
Aren't the two tweeters different, Geoff?

See attachments.

Attachments

• Glendale XP2.jpg
    Glendale XP2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 416
  • Glendale 3XP.jpg
    Glendale 3XP.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Geoff, please note that the ELCAP bipolar electrolytic capacitors fitted in the Glendales do not age well and should be replaced as a matter of course when you are inside your speakers.

Attachments

• Glendale XP2 Crossover.jpg
    Glendale XP2 Crossover.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 488
  • ELCAP NP Electrolytic.jpg
    ELCAP NP Electrolytic.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 122
Attached is the layout of the Glendale 3XP crossover board which includes the component values (apart from the "red tape" inductor).

An expert will be able to deduce the circuit diagram from this information.

Attachments

• Glendale 3XP XO board.jpg
    Glendale 3XP XO board.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 201
Here's the actual 3XP board which reveals the missing "red tape" inductor value to be 0.5mH.

There's also a sneaky little 2.2 ohm resistor alongside that 0.5mH inductor!

Attachments

• Glendale 3XP Crossover Board.jpg
    Glendale 3XP Crossover Board.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Thank you all for your help and yes the two tweeters are different which is why one, to me sounds nicer than the other - so if I could transfer the 3XP tweeters into the XP2s then maybe I will have a nicer high frequency sound. The fitting hole is exactly the same diameter though so the actual fitting is no problem, it is just whether it can be done or not.

I shall have to get someone with electronic knowledge to do any board work for me. I have rewired everything inside all speakers except the tweeters with heavier gauge copper wiring, cross overs to cones that is and from the in connections to the crossover including fitting gold plated 4mm push fit/screw connectors.

I have both types of tweeter as I have a pair of XP2 and a pair of 3XPs.

Geoff, the first thing I would do is replace those awful ELCAPS with modern bipolar electrolytic capacitors. You may be pleasantly surprised at the difference that alone makes.

The 4, 16 & 25uF ELCAPs in the Glendale 3XP may be replaced by modern 4.7, 15 & 22uF bipolar electrolytics. These will almost certainly be closer to specification than the aged ELCAPS, and within the component tolerances usually associated with those vintage capacitors.

Mundorf Electrolytic ECap Capacitors

P.S. When I replaced the 50uF ELCAP associated with the woofer of a Wharfedale E50, the bass just snapped into focus. Prior to changing all the ELCAPS, the owner had been using the loudness control on his amplifier to boost the bass. That was no longer required after the restoration.

Please excuse my ignorance but I assume you are talking about the large black things on the board - my electronics knowledge is almost nill. Photography and DIY ok but electronics!!!!
If so then I may well be able to get that done locally inTrowbridge as there is/was a place that did a lot of electronic work and repairs and I do have two spare XP2 boards that could be worked on.

P.S. If you can handle a soldering iron, it's almost child's play to replace bipolar electrolytic capacitors. You can't get them the wrong way round for example.

Some here may try to persuade you to use polypropylene film capacitors - trouble is, they may be too large to easily fit the locations on the board. I'd keep it original and simple!